iit_3c87sx.jpg
Filename
iit_3c87sx.jpg
File size
154.21 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I really though that they didn't do 387SX FPUs past the 33Mhz. mark.

Seems to work fine but I do not have the IIT diagnostic utilities so I used the Intel ones and there are some (expected) IEEE754 compliance errors . Looking for the IIT diag utilities now.

Reply 21001 of 52670, by dieymir

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Bought this lot for 12€ shipped:

Zoltrix AV305 (CMI 8328 chip):

av305.jpg
Filename
av305.jpg
File size
479.48 KiB
Views
File license

Creative AWE64 Value:

awe64.jpg
Filename
awe64.jpg
File size
387.96 KiB
Views
File license

Aztech Sound Galaxy Pro 16 II and Creative Sound Blaster Live! Digital:

aztech_live.jpg
Filename
aztech_live.jpg
File size
427.71 KiB
Views
File license

So far I've only tested the Aztech card. It sounds fine. It has a real OPL3 so there is stereo FM music but it isn't SB Pro compatible. The mixer seems not to work if I disable MSS support (HWSET complains about this).

The Zoltrix card looks very cheap. It's not in terrible condition but not pristine either. There are some small rust spots here and there. I still did not test it. The AWE64 will find home on a Pentium MMX @ 200Mhz. and I have not decided what to do with the Live!

Reply 21002 of 52670, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dieymir wrote:
Bought this for my AMD 386SX @ 40Mhz: […]
Show full quote

Bought this for my AMD 386SX @ 40Mhz:

iit_3c87sx.jpg

Seems to work fine but I do not have the IIT diagnostic utilities so I used the Intel ones and there are some (expected) IEEE754 compliance errors . Looking for the IIT diag utilities now.

I am looking for these as well., I recently bought two of these (33Mhz versions). One is running in a Toshiba T3200SX (386SX 16Mhz) and the other one in an IBM PS/2 L40SX (386SX 20Mhz), and I wanted to see whether they run corrently, aside from the claim that they can run besides lower clockspeeds processors, benchmark software reports them to be running at 50Mhz in both machines, so I would like to run official IIT diags to see the real picture, also regarding to compliance.

Reply 21003 of 52670, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sf78 wrote:

Well, the 5154 kinda worked. The horizontal sync seems off as the text judders and is unreadable. It probably needs new caps to fix it.

It's ALIVE! Dumb me, I didn't check the video signal from the IBM and obviously it had a Hercules monochrome card inside. 🙄 Once I stuck the monitor to the Canon A-200EX I got the proper picture right away. And by right away, I mean after 30 seconds once the old caps had fully charged. 😁

5154.jpg
Filename
5154.jpg
File size
165.24 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 21004 of 52670, by BSA Starfire

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dieymir wrote:
Bought this for my AMD 386SX @ 40Mhz: […]
Show full quote

iit_3c87sx.jpg

if you find the iit diagnostics could you post it here? I have the dx version of this 387 also 40kHz rated.

286 20MHz,1MB RAM,Trident 8900B 1MB, Conner CFA-170A.SB 1350B
386SX 33MHz,ULSI 387,4MB Ram,OAK OTI077 1MB. Seagate ST1144A, MS WSS audio
Amstrad PC 9486i, DX/2 66, 16 MB RAM, Cirrus SVGA,Win 95,SB 16
Cyrix MII 333,128MB,SiS 6326 H0 rev,ESS 1869,Win ME

Reply 21005 of 52670, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sf78 wrote:
sf78 wrote:

Well, the 5154 kinda worked. The horizontal sync seems off as the text judders and is unreadable. It probably needs new caps to fix it.

It's ALIVE! Dumb me, I didn't check the video signal from the IBM and obviously it had a Hercules monochrome card inside. 🙄 Once I stuck the monitor to the Canon A-200EX I got the proper picture right away. And by right away, I mean after 30 seconds once the old caps had fully charged. 😁

5154.jpg

Very cool! 😎

Reply 21006 of 52670, by probnot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Found a dirty (DIRTY!) old 486DLC. Haven't powered it on yet, I'm probably going to bring it inside piece by piece so that I can wash everything.
gh2SVC3l.jpg
6ldQnQCl.jpg

Hopefully the leaky battery didn't cause too much damage...
AzV0RWUl.jpg

Reply 21007 of 52670, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Predator99 wrote:
sf78 wrote:
sf78 wrote:

5154.jpg

Very cool! 😎

Anybody else read that with RedLetterMedia's The Nerd Crew voices in their head?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 21008 of 52670, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

Outlaw ICBM Bass Management System

That's no ICBM.... THIS is an ICBM 🤣

260px-Titan_II_launch.jpg

Just kidding... Looks interresting.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 21009 of 52670, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
probnot wrote:

Found a dirty (DIRTY!) old 486DLC. Haven't powered it on yet, I'm probably going to bring it inside piece by piece so that I can wash everything.

I have to say that you find some of the coolest systems, probnot. I wish you lived next door. 🤣

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 21010 of 52670, by probnot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
CkRtech wrote:
probnot wrote:

I have to say that you find some of the coolest systems, probnot. I wish you lived next door. 🤣

The local recycler here is great. The guy there lets me buy old systems they get (have to remove the hard drive, of course). That's where I get like 90% of my finds. The rest is kijiji.

I just went there today to recycle some broken stuff, I've been trying to get rid of things, I swear! 😈

Reply 21011 of 52670, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just grabbed this lot for a very reasonable price. I circled some items myself when requesting that the seller pack them carefully (lets see what happens with that).

Here are the things that caught my eye:

Gigabyte GA5AX Rev. 5.2 with a mystery CPU and cooler
Voodoo 3 3000 AGP
Diamond Monster Sound MX300
Geforce 2 MX 400 PCI
Radeon (7000?) PCI
Soundblaster CT2940 (CQM version)
Number Nine SR9 (S3 Savage 4 LT 8MB)
Matrox G450 PCI
Asus TNT2 M64 32MB AGP
Ensoniq branded Audio PCI ES1370
At least half a dozen ATI Rage AGP cards (not all are pictured) and some other misc VGA cards
A bunch of other NIC and interface cards
Some parts (unpictured here) that looked like they were driven over by a car.
A few parts that look like they'd been left outside in the rain, including a BFG Geforce 6800 OC AGP... 99% positive that this one is a total loss. 😊
... thankfully the good parts are excellent finds. There are probably 4 or 5 parts that are worth as much as I paid for the lot, assuming they work! 😉

I'd been eyeballing this lot for a while and then it disappeared. It came back with a "make an offer" option and I lowballed and was accepted within 5 minutes. 🤣

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    Filename
    1.jpg
    File size
    496.27 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 2.jpg
    Filename
    2.jpg
    File size
    632.49 KiB
    Views
    File license

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 21012 of 52670, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
probnot wrote:

The local recycler here is great. The guy there lets me buy old systems they get (have to remove the hard drive, of course). That's where I get like 90% of my finds. The rest is kijiji.

I just went there today to recycle some broken stuff, I've been trying to get rid of things, I swear! 😈

Maybe he can give you a deal on the robot he has in the shop! One of those Omnibots that Radioshack used to sell.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 21013 of 52670, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Ozzuneoj wrote:
Just grabbed this lot for a very reasonable price. I circled some items myself when requesting that the seller pack them careful […]
Show full quote

Just grabbed this lot for a very reasonable price. I circled some items myself when requesting that the seller pack them carefully (lets see what happens with that).

Here are the things that caught my eye:

Gigabyte GA5AX Rev. 5.2 with a mystery CPU and cooler
Voodoo 3 3000 AGP
Diamond Monster Sound MX300
Geforce 2 MX 400 PCI
Radeon (7000?) PCI
Soundblaster CT2940 (CQM version)
Number Nine SR9 (S3 Savage 4 LT 8MB)
Matrox G450 PCI
Asus TNT2 M64 32MB AGP
Ensoniq branded Audio PCI ES1370
At least half a dozen ATI Rage AGP cards (not all are pictured) and some other misc VGA cards
A bunch of other NIC and interface cards
Some parts (unpictured here) that looked like they were driven over by a car.
A few parts that look like they'd been left outside in the rain, including a BFG Geforce 6800 OC AGP... 99% positive that this one is a total loss. 😊
... thankfully the good parts are excellent finds. There are probably 4 or 5 parts that are worth as much as I paid for the lot, assuming they work! 😉

I'd been eyeballing this lot for a while and then it disappeared. It came back with a "make an offer" option and I lowballed and was accepted within 5 minutes. 🤣

Wait what? Somebody's selling my collection online? That's like, one to one matching list of some of the stuff I have in my humble collection, it's scary.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 21014 of 52670, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote:

Wait what? Somebody's selling my collection online? That's like, one to one matching list of some of the stuff I have in my humble collection, it's scary.

Including some stuff that looked like it was run over by a car? 🤣 Kidding...

Time will tell whether they pack it decently or whether any of the nicer stuff works. It looks good, but who knows. I generally only go for lots like that when there are several items of interest, so that if all but one thing turns out to be busted, there's at least some chance that the last item could possibly be flipped to regain some of the cost. So far, I've gotten very little dead hardware this way, and most physical damage can be fixed fairly easily. In the end, its worth it to save all of this stuff from being crushed and melted down for $5 worth of precious metals.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 21015 of 52670, by martin939

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So do I, only bulk purchases. That way you can often even make a profit by selling off the parts you don't really need.

Not really retro but I have a fetish for older higher end GPU's, just bought an ASUS HD5870v2 and ROG 9600GT Matrix (never knew they made a midrange card as a ROG Matrix, 🤣!).

Reply 21016 of 52670, by tikoellner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey there,

I know this is a bit out of topic, as this is mostly a hardware forum, but I still wanted to share with you the PC games I got this December. Most of them I found pretty chepa locally, and some seem very collectable.

I think the most precious of all is System Shock. I did not expect to get one, as the prices on E-bay for this title are CRAZY (150-160 Eur), but then one such game was listed a local bidding service and I finaly got it for 25 USD equivalent. Pretty good. Some other collectable titles such as Ultima Underworld I.

There is also DR DOS 6, as I also collect some PC software, and a little ZX Spectrum game that I got free of charge as an addition to my purchase - Stunt Car Racer.

NmcNGYt.png?1

Reply 21017 of 52670, by dieymir

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jaZz_KCS wrote:

I am looking for these as well., I recently bought two of these (33Mhz versions). One is running in a Toshiba T3200SX (386SX 16Mhz) and the other one in an IBM PS/2 L40SX (386SX 20Mhz), and I wanted to see whether they run corrently, aside from the claim that they can run besides lower clockspeeds processors, benchmark software reports them to be running at 50Mhz in both machines, so I would like to run official IIT diags to see the real picture, also regarding to compliance.

Same happens here. Benchmarks detect a 55Mhz FPU ... AFAIK those benchmarks use the timing of certain instructions to detect clock frequency. Since IIT 387dx clones are faster than the real Intel one they get confused about their clock speed. If I'm able to find it I'll share it on vogonsdrivers.

PDS: I'm looking for the ULSI diag utils too ...

Reply 21018 of 52670, by dieymir

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BSA Starfire wrote:
dieymir wrote:

if you find the iit diagnostics could you post it here? I have the dx version of this 387 also 40kHz rated.

Sure!!

PDS: I'm looking for the ULSI diag utils too ...

Reply 21019 of 52670, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
tikoellner wrote:

I know this is a bit out of topic, as this is mostly a hardware forum, but I still wanted to share with you the PC games I got this December. Most of them I found pretty chepa locally, and some seem very collectable.

Thems is nice - that Mega Race box is particularly cool, tho I found the game itself to be pretty damned dull.

P.S Bought these games today

Life? Don't talk to me about life.