VOGONS

ScummVM for better performance ? (OSX/PPC)

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by CaelThunderwing

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

few games i always have trie dto make run on certain systems is Monkey Island & Willy Beamish & BASS.

now i dont have toomuch of a problem to make MI1 2 and BASS in ScummVM, Except The Adventures of Willy Beamish. i'm fully aware there's no official DGDS engine in any Stable build, and that development on the DGDS Engine Stalled 5 years ago! (which would put it at what... 1.2.0 or 1.2.1?) and the last commit stating there were fixes of compiling dgds with newer versions.

now i do have a "Usable " Build enviroment setup but its all centered for 3DS homebrew (i dont know wtf i did but anytime i try to comppile anything w/ a PPC target, g++ crashes) and i cant even compile 2.0.0 Normally.

now if its possible anyone could buildthe last version w/ DGDS or if 2.0.0 'll compile w/ the Engine targeted for OSX/PPC Target.

now the talk about performance..

i've seen how POOR Dosbox is on a Quicksilver G4 (800MHZ) and is bearly acceptable on my Dual G5(not dual-Dualcore (aka the "Quad-Core G5") but the Dual Single-Core Model.
since ScummVM isnt Emulating the Other aspects of a x86 System only interpreting the game's engine (if i understand how ScummVM Differs from something like Dosbox) so shouldnt performance be far better in ScummVM vs trying to run the game in VPC 6.1?

Reply 2 of 7, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

It's really not hard getting a development setup for building ScummVM on OS X PPC

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 7, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

He doesn't even need to, as 2.0.0 for OSX/PPC is officially available: http://scummvm.org/frs/scummvm/2.0.0/scummvm- … -macosx-ppc.dmg

While it doesn't have the DGDS engine included, it's enough for speed comparing, which seems to be the main question. If games don't run faster on that compared to DOSBox, it's wasted time to compile an own build with DGDS enabled.

Reply 4 of 7, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Btw. My SVN snapshot of DOSBox is for PPC as well, for comparison

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 5 of 7, by CaelThunderwing

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
derSammler wrote:

He doesn't even need to, as 2.0.0 for OSX/PPC is officially available: http://scummvm.org/frs/scummvm/2.0.0/scummvm- … -macosx-ppc.dmg

While it doesn't have the DGDS engine included, it's enough for speed comparing, which seems to be the main question. If games don't run faster on that compared to DOSBox, it's wasted time to compile an own build with DGDS enabled.

cant test how it Will work w/ ScummVM (The Adventures of Willy Beamish) because its another Dynamix game that uses DGDS but 3 i tested on the system, do play full speed as Long i dont try MT-32 Emulation. will check later the G5 soon as my roomate comes home w/ its Replacement SATA HDD (i dont exactly like using it too terribly much the G5's of Any model were power hungry Models enough so i haveto shutdown my main rig as my UPS cant handle the load of both)
EDIT: now that i got teh drive setup OSX 10.5all the updates, i got to testing it.. its bearly "Passible" in dosbox (Willy Beamish) as for ScummVM, same performance mostly outside that while audio lags like hell w/ MT32 Emulation on, Enabling it doesnt make teh computer keil over.