VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by torindkflt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just a quick curiosity on my part. What do you think would be the most utterly ridiculous, pointless, useless or stupid computer peripheral or addon?

My vote would be for the drive bay cigarette lighter:

cig-01.jpg
Filename
cig-01.jpg
File size
9.94 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I recall seeing one of these advertised in a computer magazine 15-20 years ago, and even back then I thought it was a stupid idea, primarily for the following two reasons:

1. It's effectively a dead short across one rail of the power supply. I could see frequent use/misuse of this killing a PSU quite quickly.

2. Not only is it yet another place of ingress for dust and lint due to the exhaust fans, it's a place of ingress for FLAMMABLE dust and lint in a location that HEATS UP TO SEVERAL HUNDRED IF NOT THOUSANDS OF DEGREES.

Bonus why-it's-stupid reason: it further encourages smoking around a computer, and having seen dead/ailing computers with motherboards caked in cigarette tar numerous times in my life, I know what kind of damage that can cause. 😜

The ONLY potentially harmless use I could see for such an addon is now outdated due to the ubiquity of USB...that being the ability to use a car adapter to charge an ancient pre-USB cell phone while at your computer.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on what the most ludicrous computer addon would be.

Reply 4 of 6, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't remember the URL for this but on eBay somewhere, some Chinese reseller was selling a "PSU purifier card" to supposedly decrease EMI and increase the quality of analogue sound outputs.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 5 of 6, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DracoNihil wrote:

I don't remember the URL for this but on eBay somewhere, some Chinese reseller was selling a "PSU purifier card" to supposedly decrease EMI and increase the quality of analogue sound outputs.

Ohhh.. there are a bunch of different versions of those dumb things.

SATA
3-pin fan
RAM (waste a RAM slot)
PCI
PCIe
USB

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 6 of 6, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

WRT consoles, I'd have to agree with these.
https://www.t3.com/features/20-worst-game-accessories-ever-1

Also, the Gotcha controllers.

As far as PC hardware, my personal peeves include (in no order of severity or preference):
(1) "fake Watts" PMPO speakers
(2) "fake Watts," cut down, fire hazard, good luck making your radio work power supplies
(3) consumer HP peripherals and their virus-like driver installs

They're as stupid as paying someone to kick you in the pickles.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder