VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I just learned about this utility which can apparently be used to solve problems with problematic CD audio in older Windows games (sort of like SAPUCDEX does for DOS games under Windows). Has anyone heard of it before?

Reply 1 of 6, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wouldn't be too excited about it. Didn't try the program yet (i'm quite reluctant to installing unknown software), but from what you can see in that "Tutorial" (which is, in large parts, incomprehensible), it seems it can only patch a few "known" games. The program patches the game exe, so i can't really believe it is a generic solution for problematic CD-audio games. Another fact to consider is that the last post in that thread is from 03/2006.

Reply 2 of 6, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I agree, the grammar in that tutorial is pretty terrible, but it's better than having a Japanese-only one. Plus, it seems to indicate that "hundreds" of games are supported. (Presumably there are only so many ways that a program might start playing CD audio.)

Reply 3 of 6, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can edit the .ini to add new entries. Just tell it where the exe or dll file playing CD audio is. I don't know if it's actually a generic patch or not though, but I would guess it is.

I got Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds (which a majority of nt compatibility users seems to be unable to figure out) to work with this. Metal Fatigue CD audio problems were fixed too.

Re-Volt had issues after patching and this fixed that too, and when I compatibility tested Vista games LOTS of them had problems track switching, and considering Total Annihilation is in the default list of this program, I guess it resolves them too.

It won't fix any CD audio problem you have (and will cause a few new conflicts with copy protection), but it's worth a try. I don't see too many alternatives anyway, sadly.

Reply 4 of 6, by Miki Maus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ADDiCT wrote:

I wouldn't be too excited about it. Didn't try the program yet (i'm quite reluctant to installing unknown software), but from what you can see in that "Tutorial" (which is, in large parts, incomprehensible), it seems it can only patch a few "known" games. The program patches the game exe, so i can't really believe it is a generic solution for problematic CD-audio games.

As the program appears to be generic patcher that replaces winmm.dll and it's function calls in .exe or .dll to _inmm.dll and it's functions calls so game uses _inmm.dll instead of winmm.dll, I would say that it is in fact a generic solution for problematic CD-audio games, at least those that use winmm.dll interface.

Reply 5 of 6, by KillerOh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First of all, I'm the one that wrote the guide in the (actually invalid) link posted by Jorpho. Sorry by "topic ressurrection", but...

ADDiCT wrote:

(...)but from what you can see in that "Tutorial" (which is, in large parts, incomprehensible), it seems it can only patch a few "known" games.(...)

If the "tutorial" is so bad, then you could either create one by yourself (As I'm not a "english-speaker". I'm Brazillian. And I also added screenshots for the guide...) or read the japanese readme that comes with the software.

Anyway, a better re-written (Or a less incomprehensible one) is here. Plus, in cd-2-dvd.com, go to "downloads" section. The _inmm.dll from there comes with a guide rewriten by an "english-speaker". You'll need to registry in the site, anyway...

About the part about the "lots of games" it supports, the _inmm.dll is actually a japanese software, and the most part ot the supported games are actually Visual Novels (Something like True Love) from... Japan. Despite of this, it works for Age of Empires I and II (not GOLD) and another american games. Not to mention it also worked with Dungeon Keeper Gold.

ADDiCT wrote:

Another fact to consider is that the last post in that thread is from 03/2006.

That guide wasn't a "general" one, it was aimed for a only game (Kanon). Simply a guide. No need of much comments. Lots of forum topics from lots of different forums end this way...

ZellSF wrote:

(...)and considering Total Annihilation is in the default list of this program(...)

No, it isn't. I've created this entry, but the game runs slow as hell with me. Another people have more sucess, however.

Anyway, _inmm.dll isn't a "unniversal problem solver". Testing with Dungeon Keeper Gold, Rollcage and Rollcage Stage 2 (None of them are officially supported), all these ones worked. Tests done with Carmageddon also resulted in sucess. But with Worms 2 (Not officialy supported as well), it adds a 10 sec of silence between musics.

Miki Maus wrote:

As the program appears to be generic patcher that replaces winmm.dll and it's function calls in .exe or .dll to _inmm.dll and it's functions calls so game uses _inmm.dll instead of winmm.dll, I would say that it is in fact a generic solution for problematic CD-audio games, at least those that use winmm.dll interface.

I'm not sure about that, as the previous version (v3.27. Latest one is v3.28) doesn't come with the _inmm.dll.

Reply 6 of 6, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is very interesting stuff for me because I am stuck with the problem that win95 has no WDM audio-drivers that are needed to hear sound from mounted game-cd's (deamon-tools) with redbook-audio. I do prefer the normal vxd-driver in win98se too, because I like the fact that my ess-solo1 has support for dos-window and fullscreen dos too. The vxd-driver in win9x installs an additional "Dos-SB-Emulation" so that the ess-solo1 works like it is bootet in plain Dos. That means 100% working dossound within win9x. The WDM-Driver does not install that "Dos-SB-Emulation" and therefore only a view later dos-games do work correctly. (afaik they use the SB-Emulation within windows for that).

I think it's a great option for my to hopefully get a lot of games with redbook-auio working on my retro-machine without having to put the original cd in the drive, or mounting it with deamontools while having the wdm-driver of my ess-solo installed.

http://forums.novelnews.net/showthread.php?t=6951
https://www.play-old-pc-games.com/compatibili … m-dll-tutorial/
https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=de& … 8282%2Ffaq.html
https://translate.google.de/translate?hl=de&s … 2Ftitles_g.html

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines