VOGONS

First post, by jarreboum

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

How? I tried to use xcopy, but it always tells me that the "file cannot be copied onto itself". I must be missing something.

I have DOS 6.22 install disks, DOS 6.22 installed on a floppy, and files I want to move around on regular floppies.

Reply 3 of 9, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I remember using diskcopy back in the day. Looks like the ver that comes with MS-DOS 6 includes a switch to only use ram for the file copy instead of the HD

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 9, by jarreboum

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I thought about using diskcopy as well, but I don't think it has a per file switch unfortunately 🙁
[edit] diskcopy was present in very early versions of MSDOS (2.11) and didn't need a HDD to transfer the files back then. Everything was done in RAM. I don't know about the later iterations.

Reply 5 of 9, by mrau

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

what do You want to do exactly? copy the files? have the same layout on medium? preserve boot sector? it seems diskcopy does a 1:1 copy only; it should be easy to write a program that stores a sector of data in memory to write it on another medium :>

Reply 8 of 9, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Whole DOS works with virtual B: drive. You can just type in b:, confirm and then pretend your only drive is B: instead of A:.
This can be useful because DOS remembers separate "current" paths for A and B drives.

Reply 9 of 9, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The phantom B: drive was introduced in DOS 3.2 , IIRC.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//