Simmconn AWE64 Adapter

Topic actions

Reply 380 of 549, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
timitt wrote:

Problems others did seem to have here with Universal SImmConn was like they did not recognise any SIMMS so it might be possible that it is cotact issue.

But I don't happen to be too much an expert with electronics.

You make a good point there since someone bought a DIY SIMMConn kit and used a spare SIMM connector instead of the one that's included in the kit...

Madowax wrote:

I have assembled my simmconn kit this evening, it's a universal one. Tested with CT4500 and 8 MB FPM double sided, 16 MB EDO double sided and 32 MB EDO. Each one of theses modules worked and was fully detected and tested fine with Creative DIAGNOSE up to 28 MB with the 32 MB module. The only thing I did not use from the kit it's the SIMM slot since I got a 90° angled AMP one I recovered from an old Mylex SCSI controller. Very satisfied with the results, thanks again.

So, here are the four possibilities on why the bad batch of Universal SIMMConns don't work (sorted from most likely to least likely):
- A. Bad SIMM connector
- B. Badly soldered/cut CMMA connector
- C. Incorrectly oriented chips
- D. Incompatible RAM (not likely for me since I tested a SIMM that was pulled from a working machine, still didn't work as you might know)

I'm just wondering, has any progress been made since the last post? I'm sure some of us would like to know what the solution is on fixing the defective batch. I'm in no rush BTW, this was just something I was curious about.

Reply 381 of 549, by dreamblaster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm still waiting for certain test feedback, to be conclusive. There may be 2 issues :

1/ some unexpected soldering problems for a few units handsoldered by me, are most probably due to the soldering of pins in the MMA connector that needed to be cut to size.
Meanwhile the correct size MMA connectors arrived, and with more careful soldering, this will solve the soldering problem we had on a few (2 or 3 boards).

2/ It is still suspicious that only the universal version has problems, never a gold or value version. I put shipping any new 'universal' version on hold, until more feedback from compatibility tests (I am expecting this reply by pm this week).

So the current status is : I can say the 'gold' and 'value' versions work fine, and newly soldered boards will be reliable.
So I can offer such one of choice, as replacement, if your universal does not work and you like replacement right now. --> Just PM me.

Visit http://www.serdashop.com for retro sound cards, video converters, ...
DreamBlaster X2, S2, S2P, HDD Clicker, ... many projects !
New X2GS SE & X16GS sound card : https://www.serdashop.com/X2GS-SE ,
Thanks for your support !

Reply 382 of 549, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I still need to test on all my other card models as well as the additional universal Simmconns I have.

I've also received a bunch of different 72-pin SIMMs that I can use for testing as well. Just not sure of the size as I bought them in a big lot. I'll test them with a motherboard first.

I'll post here referencing back to my original test post once I get a chance to work on testing more.

Since soldering has already been mentioned and dreamblaster is already aware of this I'll mention that one of my Simmconns had a bit of solder stuck in one of the connectors. I ended up clearing it out by hand with a tiny hobby drill bit before I even attempted to install the Simmconn. That is the Simmconn I have been testing with so I know cleaning it out worked fine.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 383 of 549, by betamax80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello, I've not been following this post for a while. I own a "Value" and "Universal" type of these and was involved in testing. I have a limited amount of time for testing before I travel for christmas, but whats happening? Always ready to help out @dreamblaster.

Reply 384 of 549, by the Goat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
betamax80 wrote:

Hello, I've not been following this post for a while. I own a "Value" and "Universal" type of these and was involved in testing. I have a limited amount of time for testing before I travel for christmas, but whats happening? Always ready to help out @dreamblaster.

Some people (myself included) who received the universal model have been unable to get them to work.

I ordered a second AWE64 Gold for another PC I'm building. I will try my two simmconn universals on the new AWE64 Gold when it arrives.

Reply 385 of 549, by FeedingDragon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Once I replace a Parity SIMM I purchased by mistake with a non-Parity SIMM it seems to work just fine. Have a universal in a AWE 64 Value Edition. Still trying to figure out how to connect my front panel headphone & microphone jacks up, but the RAM works fine 😀

The SIMM I used is just a generic 32MB 72-Pin 60ns EDO SIMM Non-Parity Memory RAM 16-Chip Apple Macintosh PC UNIX. Chosen because it was inexpensive and in the US and not in Europe. There are no other markings or identifiers on mine other than the label shown in the picture.

Feeding Dragon

Reply 386 of 549, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would have loved to get a Value one of these for my AWE64 card in my retro PC, but by the time I found out about it (via this thread), he had already stopped making them and I can find nobody selling theirs on Ebay. So disappointing, because I have two 4MB 72-pin SIMMs I could easily put into this thing.

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 387 of 549, by dreamblaster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If there is sufficient interest, I'll make more simmconn in 2018
Gold version
Value version
and maybe more Universal version too, if the issues are cleared up

Reply 388 of 549, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I still have the previously declared interest in a Universal version but I suppose that one is on hold now?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 390 of 549, by dreamblaster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:

I still have the previously declared interest in a Universal version but I suppose that one is on hold now?

Yes 'universal' is on hold for now

Reply 393 of 549, by betamax80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just want to note that there IS some compatibility issue with different makes of SIMM, and their latency also. The original designer of the SIMMconn recommended Hynix modules and more generally double-sided arrangements. I have had success using Kingston 32mb 60ns sticks. Some modules had 70ns so please watch out for this.

Reply 394 of 549, by timitt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have been running some tests with multiple Universal SimmConns after first one was failing and now it seems I have working unit. Basically it is like first ones, but very carefully soldered (by Serge) and specifically confirmed that it is programmed with correct universal firmware (if you can call it that).

I tested few SIMMs that I had already tested with Value and Gold SimmConns (see my older post: Simmconn AWE64 Adapter ). I did not test all pictured SIMMs (imgur-link in old post), but I did test all 32 MB SIMMs and they worked fine on AWE64 Gold and AWE64 Value (also the ECC SIMM). I also tested one double sided 8 MB SIMM ()and it worked correctly and also the single sided 8 MB SIMM worked fine. Only thing that did not work was 4 MB SIMM even though it worked with Value and Gold SimmConns. In Universal SimmConn it acted like 16 MB and Doom sounded completely crap (when running with General Midi setting in Win98SE).

Jumpering was like in the imgur-link images.

I tested SIMMs running Diagnose.exe memory test and ran some instruments in AWE Control and also listened first level in Doom I.

Reply 395 of 549, by the Goat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
the Goat wrote:

I ordered a second AWE64 Gold for another PC I'm building. I will try my two simmconn universals on the new AWE64 Gold when it arrives.

FYI, I finally received my second AWE64 Gold and got it setup in a Pentium III windows 98 machine. I could not get either of the simmconn universals to work. Same result as before. No matter what simm or jumper setting was used, only the on board 4MB of RAM was detected.

Reply 396 of 549, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Been meaning to test with a couple more memory modules since I've already had these for months now, but Serge's Universal (JP1 2-3, JP2 2-3) and Gold (JP1 p3-JP2 p3) have both worked fine with the 32MB module I have used, on my CT4390.

Mosel Vitelic V53C517400AK50 based (non-EDO, 5V rated, 2K refresh), non-parity.

V53C517400AK50.jpg
Filename
V53C517400AK50.jpg
File size
380.84 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Just now, I gave the EDO version of the same (V53C517405AK50) a go, and no problems there either.

V53C517405AK50.jpg
Filename
V53C517405AK50.jpg
File size
196.94 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

The rest I'll test will only be 16MB capacity.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 398 of 549, by moturimi1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Finally I was able to test the Simmconn AWE Universal Adapter that I received back in November 2017.
It works for me on the CT4520. I use 32 MB double sided EDO RAM with 60 ns from Micron: MT4C4M4E8DJ.