VOGONS

First post, by raggnic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi and Happy New Year!

I have a waveblaster clone daughter card. Back in 90's i used to plug it on my isa sb16, and then to a pci diamond mx300.
I'm out of options on my new rig that still has a pci slot but with no support for the mx300.

Yet, I'm still very fond of those old dos games and their midi ost.

Would it be feasible to interface this board through a teensy to get it to behave like a general midi card?

I'm shooting a coin in the air there, because I really have no idea where to begin. I've tried to ask the same question on PJRC board, without success so far.
I've also seen serdashop's awesome products, that could be a much better way

My purpose is to be able to play old games via dosbox, and at the same time be able to use this midi device with modern DAW on my current computer...

Thank you for reading

Reply 2 of 5, by raggnic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

To be honest I don't really get what it does
I was thinking of purchasing one of the two MIDI Interface Boards

http://www.serdashop.com/DreamFace-S2-Synth-M … Interface-Board
http://www.serdashop.com/CHiLL

The other option is to build this interface myself using a teensy (because i already have one)

Reply 3 of 5, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

OK 😀
the boards you linked will allow you to connect a wavetable daughterboard to a midi connection (the CHILL board is universal the Dreamface I think only works with the S2 daughterboard) and both require some sort of midi interface - a usb one or a soundcard with midi connectors.
So if you have midi ports on your PC the CHILL board will do just fine.

The X3M is a device that does many things at once:
- it has an onboard X2 midi synth
- it has a midi connector so you can use your existing midi solution
- it has a USB port so you can just connect it via USB (it has onboard usb-midi interface)
- it acts as a usb soundcard so it can be used to listen all system sounds + x2 sounds and can record digitally via usb bus

I think I got these right 🤣 - maybe dreamblaster can chime in to correct me if something is wrong 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 5, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What Keropi said. To directly answer your earlier question, any serial UART that can output 5V TTL levels and clock directly at 31250 baud is theoretically capable of supporting MIDI. Drivers for such a monster under Windows might be... problematic to find. Note that you would also need an audio ADC or mixer in order to handle the output of the daughterboard, but you could probably use onboard sound for that.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 5 of 5, by dreamblaster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:
OK :) the boards you linked will allow you to connect a wavetable daughterboard to a midi connection (the CHILL board is univers […]
Show full quote

OK 😀
the boards you linked will allow you to connect a wavetable daughterboard to a midi connection (the CHILL board is universal the Dreamface I think only works with the S2 daughterboard) and both require some sort of midi interface - a usb one or a soundcard with midi connectors.
So if you have midi ports on your PC the CHILL board will do just fine.

The X3M is a device that does many things at once:
- it has an onboard X2 midi synth
- it has a midi connector so you can use your existing midi solution
- it has a USB port so you can just connect it via USB (it has onboard usb-midi interface)
- it acts as a usb soundcard so it can be used to listen all system sounds + x2 sounds and can record digitally via usb bus

I think I got these right 🤣 - maybe dreamblaster can chime in to correct me if something is wrong 😀

thanks! correct !

Visit http://www.serdashop.com for retro sound cards, video converters, ...
DreamBlaster X2, S2, S2P, HDD Clicker, ... many projects !
New X2GS SE & X16GS sound card : https://www.serdashop.com/X2GS-SE ,
Thanks for your support !