VOGONS

First post, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The D510 has been mentioned here a few times and Uxbill has a good video on youtube about them. What makes them a bit more interesting is they were the last true Compaq designed PC's
Mine both are early enough to have Compaq not HP badging, one even has a Compaq rather then a HP serial number, yet both have HP Windows COA stickers.

History of my PC's
I got them in 2007 when they were decommissioned from a client. 2007 when the IT budget had money to burn.
2007 was a funny year in IT, things had kind of stagnated. Windows Vista was out but flopped so people were hanging onto WinXP PC's. Exchange 2007 (which they also upgraded) was out but still needed Windows 2003, and people were still happy with Office 2003. This was all before financial crisis in 2008 so funds were healthy and companies wanted to reinvest I'm themselves.

Looking around and seeing everything was ticking along nicely I figured I'd start standardising the PC's and drew a line at 2.8Ghz which flited out about 10 PC's out of about 60.
That still left about another 15 faster D510's as well as similar spec tower versions, and really the ones been replaced were fine anyway.

1 or 2 went to staff, and I also grabbed 2 for myself. This was when I was traveling a lot so wanted a PC to backup all my files off the laptop, and the other was to be my daily driver.
and this is how it remained for the next 6 years or so, the Small Form Factor was a godsend with many house moves during that time.
Come 2012 and things were finally changing. Flash was taking over the internet and killing off single core PC's in doing so. Plus I started to get the itch to play Need for Speed 4, so the daily driver was demoted to Win9x Gaming PC, and then my downward spiral led me to getting more and more better suited PC's and yet again one and then the "server" were surplus and were put aside.

They had a brief revival last year as a office PC for my wife's business. she needed a light office work PC so installed lubuntu on both figuring I could just swap out the whole PC if it stopped working.
It was here the ram and CPU on both were maxed out. I don't think it got used that much and the business is now closed so again they went to storage.

So what's the story now?
I've grown attached to these 2 little workhorses and came up with an idea to give them a meaning in life again. 2 exactly the same LAN gaming PC's!
I had to swap out a 20GB HDD for a exact same model 40GB drive as the other (the HDD's have been swapped out for other projects so often I have no idea if any were the original anyway)
The on board graphics isn't amazing, but should be fine for the 2D RTS games they will primarily be for.

Windows XP is for Command and Conquer's by far the most played game round here and the unofficial patch while breaking Win9x support adds so much more its worth it. Also the Age of Empires series and Warcraft 2 BNE, Diablo 1 and 2
Win98SE will mainly be for dos games, Doom's Duke3d, Warcraft.
Sadly the on board sound doesn't play any music in Dos games 🙁 Adlib, FM, Midi, nothing. Oh well, It'll be in a room with others playing the game no doubt, and probably sounds terrible with the inbuilt speaker which is pretty handy as well.

I could find a couple of 1/2 height AGP cards and something like a SB Live and have a pretty decent gamming PC, but really I don't see these getting much use to justify the cost, but having a backup PC when an old mate drops round is a nice luxury. In theory I could get a 6 player Win9x network going, (if they were all working, which is rare) 7 if someone came with a screen.

But really I like the idea of having a level playing field.

and Finally specs of the PC's
Originally they came as the below although have been though many hardware changes in my time.
Compaq S/N PC
CPU P4 2.4GH
RAM: 256 MB
HDD: 40GB

HP S/N PC
CPU: P4 2.5
RAM: 128MB
HDD: 20GB

Now Both have
CPU: 3.06GHZ SL6S5
RAM: 2x 1GB PC2100
HDD: Maxor Fireball 3 40GB (Only matching IDE drives I had)

The only difference is one has a DVD-RW and the other has a CD-ROM. Again no idea which one came with which as when I had to swap the DVD drive into each when I needed to access the lubuntu DVD.

The Compaq S/N on the left in Win98, HP S/N on the right in XP showing the installed games
Also see how the XP sticker has gotten smaller?
D510.jpg

Topless twins 😉
D510_Inside.jpg

Reply 1 of 4, by Scraphoarder

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I like the Compaq D510 SFFs a lot. We had 100+ of them at work and the last 30 were retired in early 2017! They had then been used at a school and specs were 2.4ghz, 2GB ram and 80GB WD hdds loaded with Windows 7 x86 Enterprise. Some of them had Nvidia Geforce 6200 low profile cards that originally was used for dual screen users .
We recycled all machines of the entire 100+ fleet that had any signs of leaking or bulging caps during 2017. Kept CPUs, ram, DVD drives and HDDs from all that got scrapped. After that we still have around 40 that will be donated to employees if someone want them. We also have D530, DC7100 and DC7600 that will go aswell. I doubt many will have one, but i probably keep two D510.

Heres a picture with one batch of sorry corpses of some Compaq/HP SFF and USF models ready to be picked up last year. Cant save them all..

Compaq Recyle.jpg
Filename
Compaq Recyle.jpg
File size
643.45 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 4, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's got be enough IDE DVD/HDD's to last you rest of your life! If it was a year earlier I could have saved I bit of cash on the RAM upgrade, but 1GB sticks are pretty cheap, if you want to send me a pair of graphics cards though 😉

It is a shame you cant save them all but yours were doing well to last this long! going from HP's warranty check mine date from around 2003, so that's easy over 10 years service yours have done!

The real nice thing about them is even though they are small enough to be hidden away everything is generic accept the PSU.
Compaq definitely ended on a high note

Reply 3 of 4, by Scraphoarder

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hehe 😊 Have a mountain of optical drives and the stack of wiped WD 80GB HDDs has already bent a table in our lab.
Im a chronic keeper of obsolete stuff at work and home. I hate to throw things away if its working regardless its usefull or not. Have filled up our town halls basement with piles of stuff over the years for some use and projects. Reuse is "Green IT" until a certain point and some were donated to Russian schools, but their customs rules are so silly so that ended quickly.
Gave away a lot to people that asked for something earlier, but suddenly the management wanted all decomissioned equipment to be offered to employees first before it goes out to others. Now we sort out whats usable and will put it on shelves for a internal "flea market", but after that it can go to others who will pick up. I doubt much will go so recycling is the probably final option for whats left. Selling parts is nothing we want to deal with if it includes packaging and shipping. Its not economical with high salaries and shipping costs in a country like Norway 😵

Reply 4 of 4, by weldum

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

that's a nice twin arrangement, I like a lot the case but it uses nonstandard PSU and motherboard, so no go. If it were more standard I had all my computers with these handy cases

DT: R7-5800X3D/R5-3600/R3-1200/P-G5400/FX-6100/i3-3225/P-8400/D-900/K6-2_550
LT: C-N2840/A64-TK57/N2600/N455/N270/C-ULV353/PM-1.7/P4-2.6/P133
TC: Esther-1000/Esther-400/Vortex86-366
Others: Drean C64c/Czerweny Spectrum 48k/Talent MSX DPC200/M512K/MP475