First post, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Whatcha got?
What board or boards have you used?
What processors have you used?
How far have you jumped (i.e. 350 MHz to 1.4 GHz) on a given board?
What frustrations have you encountered?

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 1 of 18, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a few MSI MS6905s and a couple of EPOX "Super7.net" slotkets, GA-6BXC and SE-440BX-2 boards and actually just one S370 CPU -- an 866 Ezra. I was lucky enough to score an Ezra-T which should be coming in any day now. So far I've only tried the MS6905s in the Gigabyte board and it works great. Without giving it any extra voltage I was able to get that Ezra to 1028mhz with 103FSB or 1000mhz @ 133 without increasing any voltage, which the MSI slotket allows.

The #1 frustration I have is that unlike the delightful Pentium II cartridge that ejects in and out with ease I haven't been able to remove the MS6905. I am going to have to remove the heatsink to be able to pry it out which sucks because easy CPU swapping is one of the allures of Slot 1 machines. I actually bought the Epox slotkets because they have the plastic brackets with release clips -- closer to an actual SECC cartridge -- and planned to just transplant it over to the MSI but they are completely different sizes. While I haven't tested the Epox slotket I don't expect much from it considering it has no voltage clamps -- but who knows. Maybe it's irrational fear but when dealing with the more rare CPUs I am apprehensive. It would be really nice if there were cooling solutions out there that could turn these slotkets into legitimate SECCs.

Reply 2 of 18, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a couple generic slotkets - one was found buried in the motherboards bin at RE-PC, and the other one was bought NIB from eBay. The former has been tested and confirmed working on a semi-functional ASUS P2B-VT and is currently being used on a P2B-VE (different board), the latter is still sitting in the box in my spare parts bin.

I generally stick to a 433 MHz Mendocino Celeron with my setup. I can't remember for certain but I think I once used a 700 MHz Coppermine Celeron on one of my slotkets for an experiment with using the P2B-VT with a Geforce FX5200 (the integrated Riva TNT had a broken VGA port) to make an underpowered NT6.x build, this was done on the one I found the RE-PC, the NIB one was mainly designed for PPGA (Mendocino Celeron) processors.

The one and only frustration I encountered is that sometimes, when I work inside the system, the slotket gets loosened to the point where I had to re-insert it to make the system POST again, this was before I put the brackets on my P2B-VE board, now that I have the CPU slot brackets installed, this problem doesn't happen as often as it used to.

Reply 3 of 18, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I used a slotcket found in a garage sale with a p3 1GHz on my Abit BH6. That worked well although the connection was very finicky. I had to clean the connector over and over. I even tried a 1.4GHz tualatin celeron, but it didn't post. Maybe that's due to the ununpdated bios, or the slotcket being too finicky or the fact it was unmodded, or maybe the cpu was dead ...

I also tried a slotcket with an old DFI AT mobo with an lpx chipset and a 733 coppermine celeron, but that didn't work either, probably the bios. However a 466MHz mendocino celeron worked quite well !
If I manage to make the coppermine celeron to work into that board, that's going to be one of the fastest AT system made (yeah, I know there are socket 370 AT mobos with i440BX, so that's going to be faster that what I can get, but still that would make one quick AT system !

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 4 of 18, by emosun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had a tyan tiger 133

it was a dual slot board with two 933mhz pentium 3's and 1gb ram and an old x1600pro

for a short time it ran crysis. no that's not a joke it actually ran crysis. I even made a video of it doing it. But the board was very unstable and a few years later it died and never worked again.

Reply 5 of 18, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got an Abit SlotKET III from a non-working Slot 1 board. Looks nice enough, wide voltage range, but no support for Tualatin. Don't know what to do with it. I guess these things can be modified.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 6 of 18, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bitchin' Fast PC'99 uses an Asus slocket and a Lin-Lin adapter...at the same time! Motherboard is a Dell/Intel SE440-BX3. I upgraded from a Katmai 550 to a Celeron 1400. It all went remarkably smooth. I plugged the Celeron (Tualatin) into the Lin-Lin, set the voltage jumpers to 1.45v, plugged the Lin-Lin into the Slotket, and plugged the whole shebang into the motherboard. It booted right up.
Pics here: Bitchin'Fast! PC '99 - My DOS/Win98/Glide Rig

P6 chip. Triple the speed of the Pentium.
Tualatin: PIII-S @ 1628MHz | QDI Advance 12T | 2GB DDR-310 | 6800GT | X-Fi | 500GB HDD | 3DMark01: 14,059
Dothan: PM @ 2.9GHz | MSI Speedster FA4 | 2GB DDR2-580 | GTX 750Ti | X-Fi | 500GB SSD | 3DMark01: 43,190

Reply 7 of 18, by dosgamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I ran a Tualatin 1.4 GHz on an MS-6905 in an Asus P2B for a while. Quite amazing for a board to go from a Celeron 300A (running at 450 MHz of course) to 1.4 GHz.

Coppermine Celeron 800 @ 1.12GHz (8x140) - Asus P2B Rev. 1.12 - 256MB PC133 CL2 - Voodoo5 5500 AGP - SB AWE64 CT4520 - Roland SCC-1 - Intel Pro/1000GT - 1.44MB Floppy - ATAPI ZIP 100 - 120GB IDE - DVD-ROM - DVD-R/RW/RAM - Win98SE

Reply 8 of 18, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got a Tualeron 1.4GHz in a Tualatin modded MS-6905 slotket in an Abit BH-6 board as main retro rig. Picked up a bunch of MS-6905:s when some German ebayer had them for sale at very reasonable prices. Works just fine, the only complaint might be that it's hard to find silent cooling solutions for faster high TDP PIII:s, there's simply too little room when using a slotket. Ended up modding a Socket 478 heatsink with an 80mm fan. Before upgrading to the MS-6905 and the Tualeron, I used a Coppermine 1.1GHz and some obscure slotket called SPC370. Also worked like a charm.

Also using a MS-6905 in my Via C3 machine, which I haven't found a suitable case for yet. It's still mounted in the test platform. It's a C3 Ezra 850MHz in a MS-6905 slotket in a MS-6119 mobo. Running it somewhat out of spec, it's a 133MHz FSB model, but running it at 8.5x100MHz to keep the mobo chipset within spec. The mobo offers no way to force core voltage selection, no jumpers or options in BIOS setup, using a slotket with voltage selection jumpers like the MS-6905 is the key to playing around with that. Haven't had this rig up and running for too many hours yet, but so far no problems at all.

All in all my experience with slotkets has been a very smooth ride 😀

Reply 9 of 18, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a Tualatin Celeron 1.4 running on a Powerleap PL-iP3/T, in an Abit BX6 rev 2.
When I got the board I think it came with a P3 500.

No real frustrations, works pretty well. I do sometimes yearn for a 1/4 PI divider so I can safely run a 133MHz FSB processor but I don't really think its worth the effort or expense.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 10 of 18, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have Asus p2b, p2b-f and p3b-f boards that all contain voltage regulators that can go low enough to support Tualatin voltages.

I also have quite a few slotket adapters:

Iwill slocket II (nib) for Coppermine and Iwill slocket II modded just for fun to work with Tualatin
Asus S370-133 for Coppermine
MS-6905 Master for Coppermine
Powerleap PL-iP3/T for Tualatin (has it's own voltage regulator so it will work on ANY 440BX)
Upgradeware Slot-T Tualatin adapter

I've tested them all on P2B boards and P3B-F and didn't encounter any problems, even my mod on one of the Iwill's worked the first time 🤣
Bu i have them more as a collection as i barely use them. I have Native Tualatin supporting boards and i don't want performance between my systems to be the same so i capped my slot1 systems at below 1ghz and i currently have a p3-700 slot one cpu for that.

I also have a s370 Lin-lin adapter for Tualatin but unfortunately it is missing a pin and is not working right now.
I hope to fix it pretty soon but i don't know if my skills are up to the task 😵

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 11 of 18, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have two very basic slotkets that don't even have VRMs for Coppermine CPUs so all I can do with them is run Mendocino core Celerons on Slot 1 boards, something I never had to do because I have 450-500-550 Katmai Slot-1 CPUs anyway.

Slotkets seem to be a chore AFAIC. If I have a Coppermine ready BX Slot-1 board I just slap on a P3 700, if it's a Katmai/Mendocino board I would rather run a Katmai anyway. As for Pe 733+ CPUs, I have enough BX/815/694X-T Socket 370 boards to run them with.

Slotkets probably had a very specific use case at some point in time. I remember my sister's PC had a Slotket+Celeron 400 back when I was running a Slot 1 Pentium III in my own PC, so I suppose it was all about budget boards and budget CPUs; these days they make no sense to me.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 12 of 18, by Theyal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

*Slotkets seem to be a chore AFAIC.* i totally agree with you and i agree even more with the fact that slotkets proably had a very specific use case at some point in time. but you know, i often think that they still might have a good use later.

Reply 13 of 18, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I figured out that I'm an idiot and the reason I was having such a hard time getting the MS6905 out is because even though there aren't any release clips those two plastic pieces coming out of the side do lock the card into place on the brackets. You need basically need a flathead or something to unlock the card from the brackets.

Reply 14 of 18, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
CkRtech wrote:
Whatcha got? What board or boards have you used? What processors have you used? How far have you jumped (i.e. 350 MHz to 1.4 G […]
Show full quote

Whatcha got?
What board or boards have you used?
What processors have you used?
How far have you jumped (i.e. 350 MHz to 1.4 GHz) on a given board?
What frustrations have you encountered?

This is a chronicle of my experiences with slotkets and a BX board .
Re: Help needed with booting slot1 boards with unsupported CPUs

The only practical use I see for slotkets nowadays is allowing higher-spec CPUs in ISA capable motherboards .

Reply 15 of 18, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I use an MSI MS-6905 Master slotket for general usage, In addition two Upgradeware Slot-T adapters for Tualatin CPUs.
Besides those I have about 4 other slotkets (often without voltage clamp), and two lin-lin adapters which can convert socket 370 to socket 370 Tualatin.
Slotkets are great for tinkering with processors. You can often configure the FSB request and Vcore.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 16 of 18, by Moogle!

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I did discover one of these would run a 1Ghz Coppermine in a Matsonic MS-7016S at half speed (7.5 x 66), a BX board at 7.5 x 100, and an HP motherboard (alledgedly a variation of the Asus P2B with a VIA chipset) at the full 7.5 x 133. All boards had their last known BIOSes. That is important, because sometimes PIII's of all cores don't work quite right with some older BIOSes written at the start of the PII era, though I can't think of an instance where updating the BIOS has not correct an issue. The Matsonic, for example, would boot with the Katmai, but the cache didn't work until the BIOS update.

I haven't really played with this much, but I couldn't get the jumpers to force the FSB to 100 on the Matsonic.

Reply 17 of 18, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Moogle! wrote:

I did discover one of these would run a 1Ghz Coppermine in a Matsonic MS-7016S at half speed (7.5 x 66), a BX board at 7.5 x 100, and an HP motherboard (alledgedly a variation of the Asus P2B with a VIA chipset) at the full 7.5 x 133. All boards had their last known BIOSes. That is important, because sometimes PIII's of all cores don't work quite right with some older BIOSes written at the start of the PII era, though I can't think of an instance where updating the BIOS has not correct an issue. The Matsonic, for example, would boot with the Katmai, but the cache didn't work until the BIOS update.

I haven't really played with this much, but I couldn't get the jumpers to force the FSB to 100 on the Matsonic.

Probably needed to set the 100mhz fsb jumpers on both the motherboard and the slotket? That one should be capable of running up to 133mhz fsb coppermine's so it should not be a problem with the correct bard and bios (like your HP).

But some boards are made to run celeron's only and with those it is hard to get them faster. 440BX is the best, if you don't want to overclock the fsb your best best is a VIA based board.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1