VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Last few days I've been fussing around trying to get this to run in accelerated D3D mode. I've tried a bunch of DX emulators so far to no avail: DDwindower, DDwrapper, dgVoodoo2 (D3D) and DXGL for example.

I'm running Win7/Radeon 7870 with latest drivers

Mostly what happens is a CTD as soon as I click "Apply" to confirm a D3D resolution/mode in the graphic section (it doesn't crash selecting the D3D driver and resolution - only after the next menu when you "Apply" the results.

Actually, once I *did* manage to fire up flight in D3D. But the cursor was so slow/laggy in the menus rather than leave good enough alone I fiddled with the emulator setup (DXGL) and for some reason could never duplicate the run after that.

What I did when it first ran was simply extract DXGL into the FCG folder and run DXGLconfig from there. At that point I realized that to get full DXGL functionality I needed to actually install the utility in Windows - which I did - but no luck with D3D after that. I uninstalled DXGL many times, scraping out the registry etc in an attempt to duplicate my initial success - no luck.

DXGL offered the option to fix a DD registry bug during install - and I did that right off the bat. Now I wonder if "fixing" the bug may have upset the tenuous balance that had allowed D3D to run on my system...

Well, just hours to the New Year so good luck to all. Now for a bit of champagne myself...

EDIT: I guess I should add I'm looking for a wrapper that works if anyone has had success!

Reply 1 of 1, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Day 4 and I found something: DDrawCompat by a certain Narzoul (2017) available on GitHub. A single ddraw.dll, no configurator, but runs FCG in D3D smooth as silk and even solves severe mouse lag. Only issue so far is gauges do don't always display or display properly. The compass is a must! But even so this is a breakthrough!

EDIT: a quick snap back to forward view cures loss of gauges. Compatibility mode W95 or Win98. Others crash game.