VOGONS

Reply 20 of 28, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Rekrul wrote:
tincup wrote:

Not the most technically elegant solution but Jedi Knight DK2 is available on GOG for 6 clams American and claims to run under XP. I know it works with Win7 because I bought it - but can't vouch for XP.

I was aware of this, but even at $6, it bugs me that I should have to pay for something I already own....

I hear you. Put it on your GOG wishlist and wait for a sale - everything goes on sale sooner or later. I'm a big GOG fan and over the years have amassed quite a collection of stuff in the sub 5 buck range - often at their quirky $1.47 to $3.47 prices. I grab duplicate GOG copies of stuff I own hard copies of all the time too. But XP - even if quoted as running - is a bit of a gamble; I'd jump at 3 clams though.

After days of failure trying everything (I could think of) I just got Flying Corps Gold (D3D) running using a single ddraw.dll called DDrawCompat. Have you tried that one?

Reply 21 of 28, by Osprey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Rekrul wrote:

I tried enabling the texture hack option. No difference. I don't see an AMD fix option.

The "AMD fix" isn't an option in DxWnd. It's a DLL that you download separately, like the DirectDraw DLLs. It's never made a difference to me, but it might've been originally created for XP and only useful on that. I've just re-uploaded it here and updated the wiki page.

Rekrul wrote:

I've been thinking of trying the mipmap patch, which is supposed to do the same thing. Actually, I never understood why they used a bunch of replacement level files instead of just patching the program in the first place. I can be kind of a purist, so I usually prefer to use the most streamlined solution to any given problem.

If you mean the original "LOD mod," you're better off not using it, since it isn't compatible with save games made without it. That's a main reason why I made the "High Detail Mod," which doesn't suffer from that disadvantage, so you can resume a playthrough after installing it or remove the mod and resume your playthrough. Yeah, I agree that it'd be much, much simpler to patch the functionality into the executable, itself, rather than modifying every level of the game, but I'm not the person to know where to start to attempt that.

Reply 22 of 28, by teleguy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Osprey wrote:
Rekrul wrote:

I've been thinking of trying the mipmap patch, which is supposed to do the same thing. Actually, I never understood why they used a bunch of replacement level files instead of just patching the program in the first place. I can be kind of a purist, so I usually prefer to use the most streamlined solution to any given problem.

If you mean the original "LOD mod," you're better off not using it, since it isn't compatible with save games made without it. That's a main reason why I made the "High Detail Mod," which doesn't suffer from that disadvantage, so you can resume a playthrough after installing it or remove the mod and resume your playthrough. Yeah, I agree that it'd be much, much simpler to patch the functionality into the executable, itself, rather than modifying every level of the game, but I'm not the person to know where to start to attempt that.

http://shinyquagsire23.github.io/dk2-mots/

Osprey wrote:

The "AMD fix" isn't an option in DxWnd. It's a DLL that you download separately, like the DirectDraw DLLs. It's never made a difference to me, but it might've been originally created for XP and only useful on that. I've just re-uploaded it here and updated the wiki page.

That fix was originally uploaded by me for Windows 7. You can't use it on XP because XP initializes the Direct3D driver when Windows launches opposed to Windows 7/Vista that do it when you start the game. It also doesn't work on 8/10, possibly for the same reason.

Reply 23 of 28, by Osprey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
teleguy wrote:

Ah, yeah, I've seen that one, too. I believe that it ultimately does the same thing as my mod (though I haven't actually used it). It just doesn't have any documentation on how to use it.

teleguy wrote:

That fix was originally uploaded by me for Windows 7. You can't use it on XP because XP initializes the Direct3D driver when Windows launches opposed to Windows 7/Vista that do it when you start the game. It also doesn't work on 8/10, possibly for the same reason.

Thanks for the information. That explains why it's never done anything for me, since I've tried it only on Windows 10.

Reply 24 of 28, by teleguy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Osprey wrote:
teleguy wrote:

Ah, yeah, I've seen that one, too. I believe that it ultimately does the same thing as my mod (though I haven't actually used it). It just doesn't have any documentation on how to use it.

No, it patches the exe itself.
To apply the ips file use Lunar IPS. I included that program in this FOV patch.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fzblwpm4m6py5ys/JKM … 100%20.zip?dl=0

Change "Most Common ROM Files" to "All Files (*.*)" in order to select the target exe.

Reply 25 of 28, by teleguy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
teleguy wrote:

I remember someone having the same problem on XP with Tie Fighter. He said the last properly working driver is 266.58.

So did you try that driver?

Anyway I get the same graphics corruption on XP in native mode but JK works fine with WineD3D 1.7.52.
The game won't launch without the -windowgui command line switch applied though.

I usually don't bother with the DirectX<=7 insctructions from the Readme. In my experience it never made any difference.

Reply 26 of 28, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
tincup wrote:

After days of failure trying everything (I could think of) I just got Flying Corps Gold (D3D) running using a single ddraw.dll called DDrawCompat. Have you tried that one?

Yup. No difference.

Osprey wrote:

The "AMD fix" isn't an option in DxWnd. It's a DLL that you download separately, like the DirectDraw DLLs. It's never made a difference to me, but it might've been originally created for XP and only useful on that. I've just re-uploaded it

For what it's worth, I tried dropping the DLL into the JK directory, but there was no difference.

Osprey wrote:

Patching the EXE is what the mipmap fix does. It's just a small patch file. I don't think it's the "LOD" mod. I haven't tried, so I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't think it would affect the saved games. If all it does is patch the program to never use blurry textures at a distance, I would think that it would be a matter of just wiping out the bit of code that tells it to check the distance of an object and apply a different texture.

Of course I'll try it on a backup copy so that I can revert back to what I have now if it doesn't work with the saved games. I already made a zipped copy of the entire directory just in case.

Reply 27 of 28, by Osprey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
teleguy wrote:

No, it patches the exe itself.

I meant that it seems to achieve the same visual result, but I appreciate learning that it does patch the executable, itself. Thanks.

Does it affect just the textures, though, or textures and model complexity (like my mod)?

Reply 28 of 28, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Osprey wrote:

I meant that it seems to achieve the same visual result, but I appreciate learning that it does patch the executable, itself. Thanks.

Does it affect just the textures, though, or textures and model complexity (like my mod)?

It seems to affect both. Here's a comparison between a plain JK, the mipmap patch and the high detail mod;

Comparison.png

As far as I can see they look pretty much identical. I see tiny differences if I flip between the last two images, but that's probably down to the character moving between screenshots. I tried to grab each one with him in the exact same pose after loading a saved game to ensure that I'd be in the exact same spot for each one.

Also, I can confirm that the mipmap patch doesn't affect compatibility with saved games. The same save file worked in the plain game, plain game with high detail mod and the mipmap patched copy. The patch changes exactly 137 bytes in the EXE file, all in one block.

In other news...

With the help of the author, I got DxWnd to work. Apparently it was the fact that I had set the EXE for Win95 compatibility mode (it sometimes crashes when loading saved games without it) that was preventing it from working. Even after unchecking that option, it still didn't work. I had to rename the EXE file to fully break the effects of the compatibility settings. That caused it to start working in DxWnd. Unfortunately, 3D acceleration still isn't working, even with the Texture hack. I posted a log file for the author to look at, so maybe he can figure out what's wrong.