VOGONS

First post, by Pabloz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I read somewhere that you can use a tualatin on a ASUS P3B-F

but the mod was a mess, first you had to update the bios on the motherboard and then you had to make some kind of jumpers on the cpu, maybe cut some legs on the cpu?

isn´t there a slocket that can be used without making any jumpers on the cpu legs?

Reply 1 of 10, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, there are Tualatin slotkets, probably a bunch available to buy on eBay right now. You can get a custom BIOS for that board with updated microcode, and up to 133 MHz FSB shouldn't be a big issue aside from the 89 MHz clocked AGP bus. The remaining matter is voltage; it requires ~1.45-1.50V, which might be available on some board revisions and not others.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 2 of 10, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not a bunch available now, in fact, i think they have become quite rare.

Only the powerleap ip3/t and upgradeware slot-T adapters have tualatin support as far as i know, all other slotkets are for Celeron only (most common) or coppermine cpu's.
The powerleap can be used on any 440bx board, the upgradeware requires a motherboard that can supply the low voltage of a tualatin as it doesn't have it's own voltage regulator chip.

Coppermine slotket's can be modded. there are some guides for this online and i tried it with an Iwill slocket II and it works fine. But also with this you need to have a board that can supply the right (low) voltage. I don't know if the mod is as stable as the powerleap/upgradeware.

There is also a modded cpu for sale from korea on Ebay, many use these without any issues and is modded very professionally. This can be used in a Coppermine ready slotket and should work fine.

Most but not all P3b-f boards have the right voltage regulator. Look at the voltage regulator:

Chips that can provide voltages down to 1.3V:
HIP6019BCB
HIP6020ACB
HIP6004CB
HIP6004BCB
US3007CW

Chips that can only provide voltages down to 1.8V:
HIP6019CB
HIP6004ACB

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 3 of 10, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As meljor said, easiest way to do this is buy from the guy in South Korea. I did for my P3B-F and it works flawlessly 😀

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 4 of 10, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote:

As meljor said, easiest way to do this is buy from the guy in South Korea. I did for my P3B-F and it works flawlessly 😀

''436 sold'' so it probably is a popular solution 🤣

I do believe his price went up a bit? I do not own one myself as i have the adapters but he's asking 48 dollar now, i thought it was cheaper before?

Reply 6 of 10, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, he's gone from $30 to $48 in the last three years. It's some nice work, too. I'd take that over a cheapy modified slotket for sure.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 7 of 10, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
meljor wrote:
Not a bunch available now, in fact, i think they have become quite rare. […]
Show full quote

Not a bunch available now, in fact, i think they have become quite rare.

Only the powerleap ip3/t and upgradeware slot-T adapters have tualatin support as far as i know, all other slotkets are for Celeron only (most common) or coppermine cpu's.
The powerleap can be used on any 440bx board, the upgradeware requires a motherboard that can supply the low voltage of a tualatin as it doesn't have it's own voltage regulator chip.

Coppermine slotket's can be modded. there are some guides for this online and i tried it with an Iwill slocket II and it works fine. But also with this you need to have a board that can supply the right (low) voltage. I don't know if the mod is as stable as the powerleap/upgradeware.

There is also a modded cpu for sale from korea on Ebay, many use these without any issues and is modded very professionally. This can be used in a Coppermine ready slotket and should work fine.

Most but not all P3b-f boards have the right voltage regulator. Look at the voltage regulator:

Chips that can provide voltages down to 1.3V:
HIP6019BCB
HIP6020ACB
HIP6004CB
HIP6004BCB
US3007CW

Chips that can only provide voltages down to 1.8V:
HIP6019CB
HIP6004ACB

Modded a couple of MS-6905 Master slotkets. Since they have voltage clamp jumpers, you don't need to do the voltage selection part of the mod, which makes it a bit easier. If I remember what I did right, you only need to remove two pins, and cut the trace to the edge connector + make a new connection for a third pin. It's not overly complicated at least 😀

Never had any stability problems with my modded slotkets.

An alternative to those korean modded CPUs is the Lin-Lin adapter. It does the same thing as the CPU mod, and adds some flexibility since you can use it with any unmodded Tualatin. Just keep in mind that it adds some height to the CPU, and space for heatsink/fan is usually scarce when you're using a slotket, every millimeter might count.

Reply 9 of 10, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There are also Lin-Lin adapters which convert Socket 370 to 370-T. They work just fine, also when stacked on a slotket.
Edit: like kaputnik already wrote before me.

Attachments

• cpu-S370TUA-unit.jpg
    Filename
    cpu-S370TUA-unit.jpg
    File size
    62.21 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 10 of 10, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Pabloz wrote:
i have one of these, im wondering if it will work with a tualatin and the asus […]
Show full quote

i have one of these, im wondering if it will work with a tualatin and the asus

hot05.jpg

That one needs to be modded or buy a modded cpu for it (or try to find the unobtanium: Linlin adapter). Only slotkets that are native tualatin capable are from powerleap and upgradeware.