VOGONS

First post, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here I'll list bugs I find in the games I own and play, since I'm a weirdo collector, most of them are shit from far east countries. Since most of you totally ignore and don't care about these games and they are not widespread, I decided to not open a topic for every title and created this niche. Pm me for any info or help.

Bear hero: glitch with energy bar (garbage + energy not visualized).
Link to video showing the bug.

Rockman 123 (taiwan): color palette is more vivid compared to the game without dgvoodoo2, this is weird, this doesn't happen in all my pcs.
Bug: In this game clicking on a specific image allows the player to start the corresponding game, if you force higher res, the mouse cannot move freely in all the screen so choosing the correct game is hard. (game debug log here).

Yulhyul Kangho: color palette is wrong, it looks and feels like an ega 16 color crap.

Last edited by Myloch on 2018-05-16, 17:15. Edited 1 time in total.

"Gamer & collector for passion, I firmly believe in the preservation and the diffusion of old/rare software, against all personal egoisms"

Reply 1 of 17, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bust a move 4 / Pubble Bobble 4: bad performance, raising rendering resolution makes things even worse.

Rc de go: it hangs with a black window.

Tonko4: Game frequently crashes when returning to game from save menu (you can reach it during gameplay, it's a button-like thing on floor). Main menu items wrong color, it's impossible to understand which one is selected. Weird ingame graphics, tonko and enemies have some weird metal effect on textures.

Asuka 120% burning fest return: it crashes on startup.

Suchi pai 3: You can hear sound but it automatically switches back to desktop (with game active and running in the taskbar, clicking on it does nothing)

Nba powerdunkers: This thing is really broken. Good luck running this.

Last edited by Myloch on 2018-03-13, 13:17. Edited 6 times in total.

"Gamer & collector for passion, I firmly believe in the preservation and the diffusion of old/rare software, against all personal egoisms"

Reply 2 of 17, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Are there playable demos of those games that I could download from somewhere?

I only found Rockman 123 so far. The cursor issue is indeed present for that game but I didn't experience palette problems (Win10 FCU). Oh, and intro video doesn't show up for me, must be some codec problem.
(About the cursor issue: the real hw cursor is locked into a subrect of the screen, but the logical cursor doesn't appear for some reason. The opposite of what is expected. Game is selectable in this way, altough not easy.)

Reply 3 of 17, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Myloch wrote:

Bust a move 4 / Pubble Bobble 4: bad performance, raising rendering resolution makes things even worse.

It's a pure software rendered game so forcing resolution makes no sense here. Use pixel-multiplied output instead to avoid blurry appearance (ImageScaleFactor in the INI file).
Performance is bad indeed, but fast video memory access helped for me a lot if not abolished the problem.

Myloch wrote:

Fixed.

Reply 4 of 17, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nichibutsu mahjong collection: it crashes on startup.

Shadow of memories: well...this is a long story: this game was originally protected by securom v4, new OSes support such disc based protections no more. An existing hacked exe removes protection AND makes the game Win7-8-10 compatible. It runs correctly without dgvoodoo2 but if you put the usual dgvoodoo2 files in the game directory, it crashes on startup.

Zero Comico: (with fixed japotek3d.dll), compared to vanilla video card, it lacks loading screen images in dgvoodoo2 (black screen).

Reply 5 of 17, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Zero Comico and Shadow of Memories are fixed.

Nichibutsu mahjong collection: well, it has a really poor coding that is completely incompatible with modern DX. The game runs on multiple threads without pumping its message queue in the main thread.
So, the game runs into a deadlock right after starting it. The only chance is to run it in forced windowed mode (I made some fixes for that) but its palette is still wrong (natively too).

Reply 6 of 17, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dege wrote:

Nichibutsu mahjong collection: well, it has a really poor coding that is completely incompatible with modern DX. The game runs on multiple threads without pumping its message queue in the main thread.
So, the game runs into a deadlock right after starting it. The only chance is to run it in forced windowed mode (I made some fixes for that) but its palette is still wrong (natively too).

I didn't notice that. I start it by nbgame.exe, and then I select the game. Without dgvoodoo2 dlls, if I use this method it works with proper palette (only problem I found is garbled nichibutsu logo video).
If I directly use gion.exe or hats.exe it hangs with a black window, in every case (dgvoodoo2 or not).

Thanks for keep fixing games 😀

Reply 8 of 17, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Considering it's a korean production (I collect these things for preservation and passion) I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't stable on vintage hardware too!

Reply 9 of 17, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tried latest 2.63.2 and I really appreciate that now Idol Janshi Suchie Pai 3 main menu screen doesn't go background. Still not perfect but at least it's playable.
Now I'm boosted to test if other games are fixed.

Reply 10 of 17, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Myloch wrote on 2018-02-21, 21:35:

Shadow of memories: well...this is a long story: this game was originally protected by securom v4, new OSes support such disc based protections no more. An existing hacked exe removes protection AND makes the game Win7-8-10 compatible. It runs correctly without dgvoodoo2 but if you put the usual dgvoodoo2 files in the game directory, it crashes on startup.

Also, any fixed exe also switches the subtitles to English. Even if the original exe used French subtitles and UI all the way (French PC release). Other locals should have the same problem.

The resource/data files are the same. So it seems the behavior is embedded in the executable. I would love to fix that, but I'm not that good with OllyDbg...

Reply 11 of 17, by andreanimus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I would LOOOVE to play again Shadow of Memories, Myloch or xcomcmdr can you help me find it and play it on Windows 10 ? My email : phi@gmx.ch

Myloch wrote on 2018-02-21, 21:35:

Nichibutsu mahjong collection: it crashes on startup.

Zero Comico: (with fixed japotek3d.dll), compared to vanilla video card, it lacks loading screen images in dgvoodoo2 (black screen).

Reply 14 of 17, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Myloch wrote on 2020-05-16, 18:01:

Now I'm boosted to test if other games are fixed.

Rockman123, Bear hero, zero comico: Working PERFECT

Rc de go: Working GOOD (extremely slow loading on startup)

puzzle bobble 4: Working GOOD (slow performance)

suchie pai 3: Working GOOD (minor glitches, if it switches to windowed mode during intro video or main menu, just push alt+enter)

Asuka 120%: Not working on win 64bit. It crashes on startup if you use win 32bit + dgvoodoo2.

Tonko 4: not playable. It crashes to desktop when hitting first enemy (!). Other than that, no visible graphic problems.

Nba powerdunkers: not playable. Dunno why, dgvoodoo2 totally screws ingame camera during match. Use d3drm from cdrom or it will not start.

Sds stardivers: Not working. It crashes when starting game executable (black screen). It works without dgvoodoo2.

Yulhyul kangho: it works but wrong colors (and lack of transparency?). Really weird bug.

In The Hunt: If you run the game with dgvoodoo2 and without compatibility mode, it shows "Not support 320*240 mode. Used 640*480 mode." message on startup. Poor performance, game is not displayed fullscreen. If you use pre-XP compatibility settings, it runs fullscreen but poor performance and dgvoodoo2 doesn't hook.

Air Assault: graphical glitches during menus.

Shadow of memories: not verified yet
Nichibutsu mahjong collection: not verified yet

Reply 15 of 17, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Pirates of the caribbean - legend of jack sparrow
The game ingame rendering is always equal to desktop resolution, weird behavior for resolutions higher than 720p: it shifts the image offcentered. Using dgvoodoo2 apparently cannot fix this problem.

Shaun White Snowboarding (fixed exe for ht cpus)
Dgvoodoo2 doesn't work here.

SD Gundam Wars: Corrupt ingame fonts.

Reply 17 of 17, by N O V A TV

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Myloch wrote on 2017-11-30, 17:06:
Here I'll list bugs I find in the games I own and play, since I'm a weirdo collector, most of them are shit from far east countr […]
Show full quote

Here I'll list bugs I find in the games I own and play, since I'm a weirdo collector, most of them are shit from far east countries. Since most of you totally ignore and don't care about these games and they are not widespread, I decided to not open a topic for every title and created this niche. Pm me for any info or help.

Rockman 123 (taiwan): color palette is more vivid compared to the game without dgvoodoo2, this is weird, this doesn't happen in all my pcs.
Bug: In this game clicking on a specific image allows the player to start the corresponding game, if you force higher res, the mouse cannot move freely in all the screen so choosing the correct game is hard. (game debug log here).

Yulhyul Kangho: color palette is wrong, it looks and feels like an ega 16 color crap.

Hello.
I couldn't reply to you right away because I was a Newbie.
So I reply here.
Unfortunately, I don't have all the games you requested.
Good luck then.