VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 21140 of 52352, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

First new years resolution: No more Slot 1 or Socket 370 motherboards or CPUs for me in 2018, enough is enough.

Gigabyte_GA-6_BXC.jpg
Gigabyte GA-6BXC appears to be in pretty good condition, and a great board so a nice replacement for the Abit 6BE-II that I just dumped.

MSI_MS-6153_VA.jpg
MSI MS-6153VA with broken cooler lugs, damage due to cooler being literally torn off for whatever reason. My second MSI board with this damage, strange. I need to find some Socket 370/A coolers with the three-lug clips.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 21141 of 52352, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That "sticking thing" in a socket, it's a thermal probe?

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 21142 of 52352, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Srandista wrote:

That "sticking thing" in a socket, it's a thermal probe?

Yeah, thermal probe.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 21143 of 52352, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dreamer_of_the_past wrote:

There you go, at least someone gets it.

Pro:
You kinda sorta seem to maybe attempting to be helpful (maybe)

Cons:
Abrasive
Condescending
Weirdly, inexplicably aggressive

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 21144 of 52352, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:

First new years resolution: No more Slot 1 or Socket 370 motherboards or CPUs for me in 2018, enough is enough.

Good luck with that 😉

appiah4 wrote:

<snip>
MSI MS-6153VA with broken cooler lugs, damage due to cooler being literally torn off for whatever reason. My second MSI board with this damage, strange. I need to find some Socket 370/A coolers with the three-lug clips.

I have a few boards with similar damage, including one that had only one lugs which is now gone. Those sockets aren't really replaceable 🙁

1982 to 2001

Reply 21146 of 52352, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote:
ebay wrote:

You have to accept the buyer's return request if:

The item is damaged or doesn't match the listing description
The request falls within your return policy

THAT SAID, all the seller needs to do is to claim Artex broke it.

This doesn't work.

I've had sellers return things to me DESTROYED. I had one guy who used a shipping proxy in the US (about 100 miles from me, where I shipped his dual Xeon motherboard, CPUs and heatsinks) without telling me it was going to be repackaged and shipped to Singapore. I had a 15 day return on the listing. Ebay gives them 30 days (which means it doesn't matter what you say in your listing... no returns just means 30 days, you cannot deny returns). 43 days after I shipped the item (and it has been delivered to its destination 100 miles from me for WEEKS) I get a broken English message from this person saying the board is bent and they can't get it to work. Long story short, Paypal allowed them to ship it back to me (more on this later) and to my astonishment the box came destroyed with tons of international shipping labels on it, saying it went to Singapore and back. There was hardly any packing material in the box and the board (a Supermicro X7DCA-L) was completely destroyed.

I thought "well this sucks but there's no way eBay is going to side with them, since I have so much evidence"... well, it wasn't up to eBay since it was outside the 30 days anyway. It was entirely up to Paypal who is directly connected with eBay, which means the 30 day ebay return period is actually also meaningless and is in fact 180 days, no matter what the seller does or says. In the end, they completely sided with the buyer for no apparent reason, despite the fact that it was beyond both return periods (mine and the eBays) and they lied to me about the destination AND had someone else tamper it with before shipping it again. All totally out of my hands. They put a hold on the ~$150 or so on my Paypal account and I actually let my balance stay that way for several months before caving and paying it from my checking account due to NEEDING paypal for something. Now, I use Mercari and message boards for sales. I'm done with eBay for anything but scrap lots. Its simply not worth the stress of having 180 days to get ripped off after every purchase I make.

I also had another transaction where I sold a Geforce GTX 680M MXM card. I got it cheap and it came in a box, but I had no way to test it. So I listed it for the going-rate at the time, saying it appeared to be new but I had no way to test it, so I would accept returns if it didn't work as long as it was returned in the same condition in which it was sent. Someone bought it immediately (nearly $300), when they got it, they said it didn't work, so they shipped it back. When I got it, it was completely destroyed. They kept lying to me and making up stories as to what joker of a computer tech tested it, what kind of laptop they tried to install it in, how exactly they hooked it up, IF they used thermal paste or IF they even used a cooler at all. The GPU die was cracked in 4 places and it was obvious they used no thermal paste or pad. They acted completely offended that I was upset about them destroying something and trying to act like it was part of my return policy. Needless to say, eBay only NEEDS buyers, so they sided with the buyer yet again. There will always be sellers, because we live in a society with a massive overabundance of crap to sell, and where else are people going to go?

Yeah, I buy on eBay all the time, but I can't sell anything functional on there anymore. No way. I also make sure that all of my Paypal sales are paid as gifts. If my return policy and my reputation aren't good enough then people can go to eBay, pay eBay prices and have a Paypal's 180-day "we steal money out of the pockets of honest sellers" guarantee.

/rant

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 21147 of 52352, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Guys, please stay on topic for this thread.

If you'd like to continue discussing Artex's DOA CPU (I cried when I read it, Artex!) and Ebay return policy I can separate the posts into a new thread 😀

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 21149 of 52352, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vetz wrote:

If you'd like to continue discussing Artex's DOA CPU (I cried when I read it, Artex!) and Ebay return policy I can separate the posts into a new thread 😀

Sorry for adding to the flames. I get fired up about this topic. Still too many fresh wounds I guess. 🤣

Reply 21150 of 52352, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Ozzuneoj wrote:
vetz wrote:

Sorry for adding to the flames. I get fired up about this topic. Still too many fresh wounds I guess. 🤣

No worries, some off-topic disucssion related to the items in this thread should be expected, but if it goes on too long I think its better to consider splitting the posts out. Off topic discussions which spiraled out of control was one of the problems in the Ebay thread, and a more pro-active approach with splitting could be an idea to avoid the same happening here.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 21151 of 52352, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Unknown_K wrote:

Not that many Working A31p units around anymore (judging from the Thinkpad forum I am a member of). I have one A31p unit and it is nice.

A series laptops are not that common anymore. Having 2 removable drive bays where you can ditch the floppy and put an extra HD in for easy backup is nice.

I'm having an absolute nightmare trying to get a working sound driver for my A31 though. The one on thinkpads.com for Windows 98 doesn't seem to work, and the only XP ones I've found (under the A30p listing there) fail at the end of the installation saying that the driver wasn't found (?). I don't think the sound hardware is dead as there is a loud "boop" that you often get on sound driverless laptops, so any ideas?

Reply 21152 of 52352, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vetz wrote:
Ozzuneoj wrote:
vetz wrote:

No worries, some off-topic disucssion related to the items in this thread should be expected, but if it goes on too long I think its better to consider splitting the posts out. Off topic discussions which spiraled out of control was one of the problems in the Ebay thread, and a more pro-active approach with splitting could be an idea to avoid the same happening here.

Agreed completely. 😀

Reply 21153 of 52352, by TimMer1981

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Two Roland SC-55 units, one Roland SB-55 unit. 😀

Also picked up a TEAC 15532119-00 adapter card from 1988, for installing a 3,5" drive on a 5,25" connector. May be interesting to sell as it is quite rare these days. 😀

"I will take your bones, still alive and in great pain, and make them into a chair. I will call it "My Screaming Chair". Every morning I will sit in it and listen to you scream. Any questions?"

Reply 21154 of 52352, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TimMer1981 wrote:

Also picked up a TEAC 15532119-00 adapter card from 1988, for installing a 3,5" drive on a 5,25" connector. May be interesting to sell as it is quite rare these days. 😀

I'm pretty sure I have at least one of those 3.5 to 5.25 floppy adapters laying around. Never really had a use for it and never even thought about selling it.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 21155 of 52352, by TimMer1981

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote:
TimMer1981 wrote:

I'm pretty sure I have at least one of those 3.5 to 5.25 floppy adapters laying around. Never really had a use for it and never even thought about selling it.

Well, you can have a think about it now. 😉

"I will take your bones, still alive and in great pain, and make them into a chair. I will call it "My Screaming Chair". Every morning I will sit in it and listen to you scream. Any questions?"

Reply 21156 of 52352, by furan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

After looking for days, I finally found a seller that had the TechMedia speakers case. This was really lucky - I found a seller selling AT cases on ebay, and asked if they had it. They did, and they listed it! It's now on its way to me.

PlkcXpw.png

Last edited by furan on 2018-01-04, 03:27. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 21157 of 52352, by Private_Ops

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Some what retro I suppose. Not exactly modern. Got this to replace my C2D in my firewall. Wanted something different (VIA) that was still low power.

IMG_1226.JPG
Filename
IMG_1226.JPG
File size
1.27 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 21158 of 52352, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
furan wrote:

After looking for days, I finally found a seller that had the TechMedia speakers case. This was really lucky - I found a seller selling AT cases on ebay, and asked if they had it. They did, and they listed it! It's now on its way to me.

Holy cow, that's cool! That thing is just itching to be loaded up with an assortment of sound cards and daughterboards. 😀

I'm not a magnetism-alarmist by any means, but hopefully those speakers are shielded on the inside. 🤣

Reply 21159 of 52352, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Joystick_-_Microsoft_Sidewinder_3D_Pro-black.jpg
Filename
Joystick_-_Microsoft_Sidewinder_3D_Pro-black.jpg
File size
117.7 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Ordered myself a Sidewinder 3d pro... (Stock image).

Was going to get a Gravis Destroyer to add to my growing Gravis collection, but I wanted something very usable for ms-dos and possibly 95/98 and according to some other threads on this forum the old sidewinder wont let me down. Hopefully that's true 😊

edit: will be looking for a long list of flightey games to enjoy with it 😎

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?