VOGONS

First post, by Pabloz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i cant belive it , i got a GUS !!
and i dont even know if it works or not.

it is a gravis ultrasound max 2.1
i never had a gravis card before, does anyone know where can i get the DOS floppy install discs? there are so many ultrasound cards that i dont know what file it is.

i only need to install it on DOS to see if it works or not with some games like doom.

IMG_20180107_193427.jpg

Reply 1 of 10, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Congratulations!
I hope it works.

Is there an interesting story behind how you acquired/found it ?

https://gona.mactar.hu/GRAVIS/#MAX should have everything you need to get you started .

Reply 2 of 10, by Pabloz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
darry wrote:
Congratulations! I hope it works. […]
Show full quote

Congratulations!
I hope it works.

Is there an interesting story behind how you acquired/found it ?

https://gona.mactar.hu/GRAVIS/#MAX should have everything you need to get you started .

gotcha, so its GUS411CD.ZIP , it says DOS & win.3.11
but when i open the zip inside the install.exe seems like a win3.11 executable because it has an icon.
would that work on DOS only? or needs to be installed from windows 3.11?

I got it by luck, i have a retro friend and asked him if he got an awe ct3900, he did not, then he mentioned he had a gravis soundcard and i could not belive it, i ended up trading with him some videocards for the gravis. not sure if it works tho.

Reply 3 of 10, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

would that work on DOS only? or needs to be installed from windows 3.11?

If memory serves, install.exe should be run from DOS .

I got it by luck, i have a retro friend and asked him if he got an awe ct3900, he did not, then he mentioned he had a gravis soundcard and i could not belive it, i ended up trading with him some videocards for the gravis. not sure if it works tho.

At first glance, it looks nice and clean so, with a bit of luck, it will run nicely .

Reply 4 of 10, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The GUS is one of the best single card solutions for DOS and early windows MIDI and general sound. The only thing that is in theory better would be an SB Pro 2/SB16 with a nice selection of MIDI units.

Reply 5 of 10, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The GUS is not to be limited to just a midi card. For anything that support it and uses mod music, it will sound miles ahead due to the hardware mixing.

I'm currently using my GUS right next to a Sound Blaster 16 CT1740 with a korg wavetable. The gus doesn't really like having another sound card next to it, but after tweaking things, it works OK. I'm using the GUS mostly for games that uses mod music, and the sound blaster for the rest. However in function on how I feel, sometimes I use the GUS to render midi, some other times I use wavetable and finally I use the OPL3.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 7 of 10, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Congratulations!

I remember my first GUS like it was yesterday.

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks

Reply 8 of 10, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ah, the GUS MAX. That brings back memories.

Back in 1995 I went straight from an IBM PS/2 with 386-16 and PC speaker to a P60 with GUS MAX. It sounded great and lasted me with DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.1 until 1999, when I upgraded to Win98SE on a Celeron 366 with i440BX board and SB64. Not sure exactly what happened to it afterwards... 😖

One thing to watch with the board is that - due to its huge size - it can severely disrupt airflow in a cramped case. My hothead P60 in a tiny BabyAT minitower frequently ran into problems because of that.

Last edited by dionb on 2018-01-09, 18:01. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 9 of 10, by alvaro84

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Superb! Now you can watch (and listen) a big pile of GUS-only DOS demos. Pouet.net is a great source for them.

Oh, and Doom and the likes sound great on it too!

Shame on us, doomed from the start
May God have mercy on our dirty little hearts