VOGONS

First post, by SRQ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Is it still a no-go? I google for my issue (Audio halts after a few minutes of if I use A3D), and I see references to fixes or patches, but each and every link and source is dead.
I found a beta driver that changes nothing.
Card works fine on 9x so I just dualboot, but I'd prefer to find a way to make it work for completionisms sake and because this is a dual P3 and I enjoy using 2K for it seeing both processors. Regardless of the fact nothing uses them, it's neat to have :p

Reply 1 of 19, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Have you tried one of these ?

wdm5_10_2500_49.zip
http://www.helpjet.net/Fs-38659899-25218657-90633836.html

wdm5_12_01_2559.exe
http://www.helpjet.net/Fs-38659899-25218657-50240000.html

Reply 2 of 19, by SRQ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for that source to the drivers, but it still cuts out with those. They enable A3D under 2K, but bug it so audio is lost quickly.
This motherboard is an Asus CUV4X-D, Via chipset, and I heard mention of some sort of fix but all the links are dead.

Reply 3 of 19, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Have you installed the VIA 4-in-1 drivers (aka Hyperion) ?

Have you tried the "PCI Latency" patch for VIA chipsets ?
http://www.georgebreese.com/net/software/#PCI

Reply 5 of 19, by SRQ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, with new mobo drivers and discovering that I accidently wasn't installing the right Aurael one for the audio card itself (Windows forces you to revert to the OEM ones if you don't pay attention) it appears to be working.
Ain't that neat.

Reply 7 of 19, by ZanQuance

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry I couldn't get here sooner, I made a few fixes into this Win2k driver package that should help smooth things out for everyone:
Win2k 2559 Drivers with fixes

Let me know if they work well for you, A3D should be fully working in this package and the control panel has some bugs so use the provided speaker change fixes to switch speaker modes.

Reply 8 of 19, by eeJay

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you for taking the time and trying to fix this, ZanQuance!
I've tried your drivers on my freshly installed Windows 2000 with a Diamond MX300 and can report the following so far:
- There is very audible hum - but it can be easily fixed by muting the "CD Audio" box in the audio mixer.
- The volume is very loud. On my Windows 98 SE install, I keep the master output at about 60 %. With these drivers, it had to be decreased to about 20 %.

The good:
- Installs fine, no errors.
- Some of the 3D demos work and sound amazing - for instance, the 3D player and the Helicopter demo. It is interesting to see that the interfaces for some are different and offer more options than under Win 98.

The not so good:
- The Rooms demo will not start; it reports that an a3d 2.0 sound card is not installed.
- The Bees demo crashes my system and causes it to restart about 10 seconds after I run it.
- The same type of crash happens with Quake 3 (after turning on A3d mode). I have tried copying an older version of a3dapi (2.25) in Quake's folder, and that prevents the system from crashing; however, only music can be heard playing (and sometimes, footsteps). Most of the sounds are missing.

Keep up the good work! I'm sure other users will be eager to try these drivers out as well!
If you need any testing, I'm more than glad to help out.

Br

Reply 10 of 19, by eeJay

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just a quick note regarding this: after reading through the FAQ on the "Vortex of Sound" website for Aureal cards under Windows 2000, I noticed that they recommend going to Control Panel /Sounds and Multimedia /Audio and making sure that Performance is set to Full acceleration. I didn't do that. Could be a possible cause of those "restart" issues.

Best regards

Reply 11 of 19, by Woolie Wool

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would absolutely not recommend using an Aureal Vortex 2 in Windows 2000! On my old Dell Dimension 4300 I used a Vortex Advantage AU8810 and it caused me no end of grief (cutouts, BSODs, horrendous instability) until I disabled it in Device Manager and relied on the integrated motherboard audio for Windows 2000 stuff.

wp0kyr-2.png CALIFORNIA_RAYZEN
1wpfky-2.png REDBOX
3q6x0e-2.png FUNKENSTEIN_3D

Reply 12 of 19, by Slot1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So i did a little bit of research and i found drivers updated for XP that are based on the original 2000 driver. Do you guys think that the 2268 will work in 2000 with no issues?

The first one: wdm-au30-2560 (AU8830 Windows 2000 driver version 5.12.01.2560), modified for XP
The second one: wdm-au30-2568 (AU8830 Windows XP/2k3 driver version 5.12.2568.0), newer one from 2004

Sorry for the resurecction.

Reply 14 of 19, by Slot1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well i was thinking of using the XP drivers in Windows 2000, since there are many reports of sound issues with Windows 2000 drivers. These are updated and from the reports they work well in XP. So because they are the same driver model (WDM) i thought they will work. I'm getting a Diamond MX300 next week so i will try them out if they install or not in 2000 soon enough.

Reply 15 of 19, by mattrock1988

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ZanQuance wrote:

I'll check out the issues when I can, thanks for testing.

Hey ZanQuance. Thanks for providing this driver. I do have a quick question however. Will I be able to upgrade over the Microsoft supplied driver or do I have to completely deinstall the old driver first before using your package?

Retro PC: Intel Pentium III @ 1 GHz, Intel SE440BX-2, 32 GB IDE DOM, 384 MB SDRAM, DVD-ROM, 1.44 MB floppy, Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti 4600 AGP, Creative SoundBlaster AWE64 Gold, Aureal Vortex 2
I only rely on 86box these days. My Pentium 3 PC died. 🙁

Reply 17 of 19, by mattrock1988

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
oeuvre wrote:

The Vortex 2 drivers for 2000 and XP were never that great.

I finally got around to installing them in place and they took fine.

I will agree that the drivers aren't optimal, but even the 2559 beta drivers are a sorry sight better than the pile of crap Microsoft provided with Windows 2000.

Don't worry though. I do the bulk of my gaming on other OSes that are not Win2k. 😀

Retro PC: Intel Pentium III @ 1 GHz, Intel SE440BX-2, 32 GB IDE DOM, 384 MB SDRAM, DVD-ROM, 1.44 MB floppy, Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti 4600 AGP, Creative SoundBlaster AWE64 Gold, Aureal Vortex 2
I only rely on 86box these days. My Pentium 3 PC died. 🙁

Reply 18 of 19, by Capsndave

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a Dream Blaster X2GS mounted on a Sonic Vortex 2 card and it sounds great. It works fine in Windows 98 however when trying it in Windows Xp I notice that there's no Vortex AU8830 MPU-401 interface in the xp device manager, so I can't run it in XP. I realise that Aureal drivers were discontinued before XP but I'll welcome any suggestions for running this combo winxp if anyone has ideas. Thx.

Reply 19 of 19, by Dolenc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Try this http://www.opendrivers.com/download/driver-17897.html

Theres a .doc how to install. Not sure for your usecase, but it makes the a3d work and you get the control panel. It (atleast on my config) introduces some crackling with a3d in some games.