VOGONS

Reply 40 of 57, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It freezes if I press Enter or if I press F3 to quit the install, so I can't do anything from the floppied DOS, because when I boot the PC with the floppy inside, it automatically launches this blue screen installer, which freezes with whatever key I press, I think I'll have to format it the hard way (install the hardisk in my main desktop with an IDE-SATA adapter, format it and place manually all the files DOS needs, setting the partition as bootable, obviously... well, thinking about it, it would also be much useful to quickly backup files directly in my PC and put them again inside after I "reinstall" DOS, since DOS is an OS that doesn't really need a setup, but a bootable partition with autoexec.bat and config.sys)

Currently assembled vintage computers I own: 11

Most important ones:
A "modded" Olivetti M4 434 S (currently broken).
An Epson El Plus 386DX running MS-DOS 6.22 (currently broken).
Celeron Coppermine 1.10GHz on an M754LMRTP motherboard

Reply 43 of 57, by dr.ido

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Apple's 64 pin SIMMs are dual ported. I'm not sure they are the same as the ones in your AST - I can't read the part numbers in the pic. NCR also used 64 pin SIMMs, I have some I pulled from on old NCR server that was getting scrapped (I would have taken the whole thing, but someone had already removed the non standard power supplies, and it was still too heavy to move).

Reply 44 of 57, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Have you checked the controller by using a different harddrive? As I understand it, you are basically using an SATA harddrive on the computer, through an SATA to PATA converter.

Test with different IDE cables as well, and to be absolutely shure, test with a different floppy cable and a different floppy drive. Mix it, in order to test as many different combinations as possible.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 45 of 57, by jade_angel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A note on the HIMEM.SYS/EMM386.EXE weirdness: in DR-DOS, HIMEM.SYS is only used on 286 systems. EMM386.EXE is used for 386 and later, though there's a way to disable EMS. (Look at the docs, or run it with /?).

I still think your memory might be defective, however.

Main Box: Ryzen-TR 1900X | GTX 1050/Radeon RX 580
98/2000 Box: PIII/766 |Quadro4 380 XGL

Reply 46 of 57, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jade_angel wrote:

EMM386.EXE is used for 386 and later, though there's a way to disable EMS. (Look at the docs, or run it with /?).

So you can't have real mode with XMS? No surprise that DR-DOS never had any market share.

Reply 47 of 57, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
derSammler wrote:
jade_angel wrote:

EMM386.EXE is used for 386 and later, though there's a way to disable EMS. (Look at the docs, or run it with /?).

So you can't have real mode with XMS? No surprise that DR-DOS never had any market share.

Yup... I remember people having trouble with DR or Novell Dos back in 1995.
It was a long antisipated release, that was a big bummer and let down.
If it was DR or Novell I just don't recall. I only remember people were displeased with it.
I don't even recall what the exact issue was.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 48 of 57, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd be better install 6.22, at that point.

EDIT
Since I've been having all these troubles installing 6.22, I'll try with FreeDOS 1.2, using the boot floppy and the legacy version from the LPT CD-ROM drive.

Most important ones:

Reply 49 of 57, by jade_angel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
derSammler wrote:
jade_angel wrote:

You can, actually, you just can't use HIMEM and EMM386 at the same time. Despite having the same names as in MS-DOS, they're mutually exclusive. A dorky idea on their part 😒 DR-DOS's memory managers are downright hinky - http://www.drdos.net/documentation/usergeng/10ugch10.htm.

Reply 50 of 57, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Any way to install the original HIMEM.SYS and EMM386.EXE ?
I tried loading the Dos 7.10's ones from the dconfig.sys, but on boot it says that EMM386 isn't installed.

Most important ones:

Reply 51 of 57, by jade_angel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You could copy them over from an MS-DOS or PC DOS system, I suppose. I never tried that, but at that point, you might as well just install MS-DOS or PC DOS. (I like PC DOS 2000, personally, but there's nothing wrong with MS-DOS 6.22 or Win98 DOS)

Reply 52 of 57, by andreja6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jade_angel wrote:

You could copy them over from an MS-DOS or PC DOS system, I suppose. I never tried that, but at that point, you might as well just install MS-DOS or PC DOS. (I like PC DOS 2000, personally, but there's nothing wrong with MS-DOS 6.22 or Win98 DOS)

Both are really good choices. I prefer MS-DOS 6.22 to Win98 DOS for some compatibility reasons, and because it's generally faster to boot. A lot of commands were also removed from Win98 DOS. Although FAT32 support is a giant plus.

Reply 53 of 57, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
andreja6 wrote:

Both are really good choices. I prefer MS-DOS 6.22 to Win98 DOS for some compatibility reasons, and because it's generally faster to boot. A lot of commands were also removed from Win98 DOS. Although FAT32 support is a giant plus.

Any specific compatibility issues. Generally, I'm happy with Win98 DOS. Any utilities that are not included, I generally put right back using either the FreeDOS version or the original from DOS 6.x.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 54 of 57, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Between FreeDOS and 6.22, which is more convenient ? What extra features does FD have than MS-DOS 6.22 ?

Most important ones:

Reply 55 of 57, by jade_angel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

FreeDOS has a whole bunch of random utilities, many brought over from the Unix world, things like gzip, grep, awk, etc. It also comes with clones or open-sourced releases of many popular DOS utilities. The downside is compatibility, but the good news is that most of the FreeDOS utilities work on MS-DOS and PC DOS.

Reply 56 of 57, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I haven't noticed much in the way of compatibility issues. The most significant issue germane to VOGONS readers is probably incompatible I/O trapping in JEMM compared to MS EMM386, so you'll have issues with SoftMPU while using JEMM. Fortunately, EMM386 works fine with FD and can be downloaded freely from the Microsoft FTP site.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 57 of 57, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There is another, user-related compatibility issue..

FreeDOS is in English language. 😉

(Ok,to be fair, there was a localisation project.
But MS-/PC-DOS has always been more complete in comparison.
Even though early versions used some funny language at times.)

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//