VOGONS

First post, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have several builds where I have one card for Win9x and one card for DOS, and usually the Win9x card's Line Out is externally routed to the DOS card's Line In. So essentially the DOS card is a noise generator passthrough. I do this with an external audio cable, which is messy. I was wondering if this can be done internally? Maybe I could route the DOS card's output to the Win9x's AUX or TAD headers somehow? Anyone have such a setup and how does it work?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1 of 14, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Many sound cards have headers on the PCB directly beside the audio jacks. They provide the same signals than the jacks, so you can use them as well. And the cool thing is that they get disabled as soon as you plug something into the jack.

What sound cards do you have exactly?

Reply 2 of 14, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
derSammler wrote:

Many sound cards have headers on the PCB directly beside the audio jacks. They provide the same signals than the jacks, so you can use them as well. And the cool thing is that they get disabled as soon as you plug something into the jack.

What sound cards do you have exactly?

What I have at hand are:

Creative Sound Blaster 16 CT2290 Creative CT1745A ISA
Creative Sound Blaster 16 CT2890 Creative CT2504-CQ ISA
Creative Sound Blaster 16 CT2920 Creative CT1745A ISA
Creative Sound Blaster 16 CT2940 Creative CT2502-SDQ ISA
Creative Sound Blaster 16 CT2980 Creative CT2502-SDQ ISA
Creative Sound Blaster AWE64 Value CT4500 Creative EMU8011-01 ISA
Creative Sound Blaster AWE64 Value CT4520 Creative EMU8011-01 ISA
Creative Sound Blaster AWE64 Value CT4520 Creative EMU8011-01 ISA
Creative Sound Blaster PCI 128 CT4750 Creative CT5880-DC0 PCI
Creative Vibra 128 CT4810 Creative CT2518-DBQ PCI
Creative Sound Blaster Live! Value CT4780 Creative EMU10K1-JFF PCI
Creative Sound Blaster Live! Player CT4830 Creative EMU10K1-NDF PCI
Creative Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 SB0100 Creative EMU10K1-JFF PCI
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS SB0350 Creative CA0102-ICT PCI
Creative X-Fi Xtreme Music SB0460 Creative CA0107-PAG PCI
Edison Gold 16 Rev3.2B ESS ES688FC ISA
Genius 0207000 V2.0 ESS ES1868F ISA
Best Union MF-1868 REV:3.1 ESS ES1868F ISA
Formosa MPB-000074 Ver:1.1 ESS ES1868F ISA
Best Union MF-1869 REV:2.1 ESS ES1898 ISA
(Noname) ESS Solo-1 ESS ES1946S PCI
S-Link SL-41A ESS Solo-1 ESS ES1938S PCI
Yamaha SM718 Rev:2.00 Yamaha YMF719B-S ISA
Zoltrix Audio Plus 6400 3D PnP (AV309) Crystal CS4232 ISA
Diamond MX300 Aureal AU8830A2 PCI
Terratec 512i Digital ForteMedia FM801-AU PCI

I would like to route one the PCI and/or ISA chips with FM synthesis through PCI cards that have wavetables in Win9x or vice versa. So say an SB16 through an SB Live!, an ESS Solo-1 through an Audigy 2 ZA, or the other way around.

Reply 3 of 14, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I once routed the line out of a Terratec ESS Solo-1 to a CD in or AUX in header of a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz. The Solo-1 card had internal headers for all external sound connectors. Used a cable for CD audio and had to rearrange the wires of the connector going to the Solo-1 as it differed from the output of a CD-ROM drive.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 4 of 14, by RJDog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a Yamaha 718S and it has the solder positions for a header behind each external audio jack... it would be easy enough to solder in a small header and use a CD audio cable to route its line out to another cards CD or AUX in.

Reply 5 of 14, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Apologies for resurrecting this old thread of mine, but I'm at a loss. I have acquired a Terratec 128i TTSolo1-S for this purpose, as it comes with pins for audio in and output jacks:

5a9fcd9f09b66_p1230661.jpg

Now, Routing the Line Out from the TTSolo1-S to an SB Live! would be a piece of cake - just route some dupont jumper cables from the Line Out to SB Live!'s AUX In and voila. However, this is not ideal because it would require initializing the Live! card under dos and potentially having to set up the mixer. So ideally, I would like to route it the other way around.

The problem is that on most Live! cards I can't find a single line out pin. I've looked into the idea of routing from AUD_EXT but that seems to be digital only. That leaves me with the option of routing to or from the front panel connector found on some Dell OEM Live! Value cards, one of which I happen to have.

Creative_Sound_Blaster_Live_Value_Dell_OEM_CT4780_EMU10_K1-_JFF.jpg

The white connector on the top edge I believe is the front panel connector, but I can not for the life of me find the pinout so that I can route the headphone out of the card to the Line In of the TTSOLO-1. Does anyone have the pinout for this?

Reply 6 of 14, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote:

Apologies for resurrecting this old thread of mine

No worries, it's not even half a year old. Besides, its your thread.. 😀

appiah4 wrote:

The white connector on the top edge I believe is the front panel connector,
but I can not for the life of me find the pinout so that I can route the headphone out of the card to the Line In of the TTSOLO-1.
Does anyone have the pinout for this?

I'm not certain, but I've found another SB card (Audigy 2 ZS) with such a header.
If the connector is the same. I don't see why it shouldn't be compatible (wouldn't be logical to do that).
Yet, it is Creative we talk about.. Maybe they made it extra incompatible just to annoy users ? 😉
https://audigy2zshowto.blogspot.de/2005/05/wa … stroy-your.html

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 7 of 14, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have just soldered wires directly to some nearby filter capacitors and route the output to CD-ROM input of another card. Normally I use one of those small white connectors that I snip off from regular CD-Audio cables, perfect length for card to card stuff.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 8 of 14, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jo22 wrote:
I'm not certain, but I've found another SB card (Audigy 2 ZS) with such a header. If the connector is the same. I don't see why […]
Show full quote
appiah4 wrote:

The white connector on the top edge I believe is the front panel connector,
but I can not for the life of me find the pinout so that I can route the headphone out of the card to the Line In of the TTSOLO-1.
Does anyone have the pinout for this?

I'm not certain, but I've found another SB card (Audigy 2 ZS) with such a header.
If the connector is the same. I don't see why it shouldn't be compatible (wouldn't be logical to do that).
Yet, it is Creative we talk about.. Maybe they made it extra incompatible just to annoy users ? 😉
https://audigy2zshowto.blogspot.de/2005/05/wa … stroy-your.html

This seems to be super useful, thank you!

Reply 10 of 14, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Plasma wrote:

I recommend just using an external mixer, especially if you have multiple computers.

Not an option with limited work space. I will rote Pins 1 2 and 3 to LGR on the TTSolo Line In. This ought to worknfine.

Reply 11 of 14, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Proof of concept: Routed OEM Live!'s front panel connector's headphone pins to Solo-1 card's CD-ROM Input. The Speed-Link Solo-1 card will eventually be replaced with a Terratec 128i TTSOLO1-S soon, then I ca route the headphone out directly to Line-In and the CD-ROM audio ca also be connected straight to the Solo**1. The system will use the Solo-1 in DOS and OS2/2, both cards win Win98 and Win2K.

Dell_Optiplex_GX110_Internal_Sound_Card_Routing.jpg

Reply 12 of 14, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Whats the benefit of having two PCI Cards ?

DOS Audio support ?

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 13 of 14, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
matze79 wrote:

Whats the benefit of having two PCI Cards ?

DOS Audio support ?

Indeed. I use the Solo-1 for OPL3 and MPU-401 and Live for .SF2 MIDI Synth

Reply 14 of 14, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does this work without DOS / Windows drivers for both cards or not? Need this rerouting of input some sw support, or its all on HW level? Because if would be on HW level it would be possible to use something like SB X-FI or other card without DOS / Win9x etc support.

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.