VOGONS

Reply 460 of 741, by lukeman3000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
KainXVIII wrote:
lukeman3000 wrote:
KainXVIII wrote:

Here is mine recorded video (don't mind russian translation 😀 )
https://youtu.be/mYPzxY6ZNH8

Yeah, yours sounds correct. There at the end, that one note shifts down, but mine does not. What gives?

One thing I am wondering about - how did you get your SQ5 installation? Did you install any patches? Originally, I was using Collector's installer (I have the Space Quest Collection Series), but just for kicks, I tried an "alternate" version with the same results.

I don't think that installation or patches matters, mine GoG version sounds same.

Then, what might it be? In your video, you are using SCVA, right?

Reply 463 of 741, by goldeng

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi @lukeman3000,

There's something odd in your video. I tried to reproduce this 'hanged note' problem in SCVA without success. But what's troubles me more is the SC MIDI channels that appear to receive the game's MIDI data shown in your video. It looks like they're route from the game to channels 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 and 16 in SCVA. On my end the active channels at this Sierra intro are 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10.

Saw that you already solved the problem but just a thought, which MIDI driver did you pick from the game's setup: "Roland MT-32, MT-100, LAPC-I, CM-32L, or CM-64" or "General Midi Sound Driver"? The right one to pick when using GM sound module is the General Midi Sound Driver, and gladly Sierra included this driver with their latest games (see screenshot)

GM Driver.png
Filename
GM Driver.png
File size
37.47 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

If you pick MT-32 when using GM sound module you'd probably encounter wrong instrument mapping. This was the case with the incorrect sound when opening/closing the box in KQ6 that you posted on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxqfqhtcno0. I'm not sure but it might be worth to check if this solves this problem as well.

Reply 464 of 741, by m5215tx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Tried the Roland plugin and it works great.

Does a plugin for Yamaha exist? Maybe something that emulates an MU80 or something in that general area?

Roland MT-32 (old), CM-32LN, SC-55, SC-88VL, MT-120, SD-35, SD-20, SD-80, SD-90
Yamaha TG100, TG300, MDF2, MU15, MU100, MU2000EX + PLG150-DR + PLG150-PF + PLG150-VL
KORG NS5R, X5DR
AKAI SG01k
KAWAI GMega
KETRON SD2

Reply 465 of 741, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yamaha S-YXG50 Portable VSTi plugin:
Yamaha S-YXG50 Portable VSTi (a software MIDI synth)

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 466 of 741, by xoypox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just so you know, you can use Sound Canvas VA longer than 10 minutes for free by using the program RunAsDate (nirsoft) and setting it to not move time forward (all boxes unchecked) and make a shortcut. You can now play your DOS games in peace. This will give you a longer time to decide whether the program is worth it.

Reply 467 of 741, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I am not a lawyer, and I am not a moderator, so these are musings with no real authority. You can accept or reject them based on the merits as you see fit.

The suggestion regarding freezing the clock is kind of borderline advice. Part of having no Warez or Abandonware here is respecting software licenses. Bypassing the time lock circumvents the Roland trial license conditions which is almost certainly not kosher.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 468 of 741, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Falcosoft, first and foremost, thanks for the great MIDI player 😁
I've been testing MIDI device hot swapping and it's almost what I've wanted for quite some time, however, I have a small request that I hope can be implemented: whenever hot swapping MIDI devices the MIDI player window closes and reopens (I'm guessing the program terminates itself and opens a new instance?) minimizing my emulator (DosBox, PCem, whatever) which is kind of a pain when using...say D-Fend Reloaded, is it possible to implement some way to prevent this? Maybe have an option to just have a tray icon that can hot swap silently and without disturbing whatever's fullscreen?
Thanks 😀

Reply 469 of 741, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@bloodbat:
Hi,
This topic is dedicated to Roland Sound Canvas VA, so let's continue the conversation in Midi Player's topic:

Reply 470 of 741, by Nagra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi folks,

I browsed all 24 pages of this topic, but it seems that no one here got it working on a mac?
Followed Phils workaround on youtube and installed the plugin into reaper. So far so good.
But there is no stand alone app of Sound Canvas VA for Mac OS, that is needed for the other steps.

Is there somebody out there, who successfully got it working on Mac OS 10?
Jo

MacMini 2018, DOS Box, SCUMM VM, Munt

Reply 471 of 741, by citrixscu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I recently got a MacBook Pro and spent some hours trying to get SC VA working. I've found that success relies heavily on the DAW one uses. For example, Garageband works but doesn't accept Sysex commands through the VST so the instruments never change and always play piano. You can also try DP9 and load the plug-in as an AU. However, I've only gotten one channel to work. Cubase is also an option but 10gb of DAW seems overkill for SC VA. For now I've resorted to Munt as it's much easier to get working than SC VA.

Reply 472 of 741, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For example, Garageband works but doesn't accept Sysex commands through the VST so the instruments never change and always play piano.

Changing instruments does not require SysEx support. Of course it can be done also with SysEx messages but the more common method is sending Program Change messages (and optionally Bank Select controller messages for variation banks). You should try sending Program Change messages, Garageband should support this.

Reply 473 of 741, by citrixscu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the reply. I'm not exactly sure how DOSbox or ScummVM passes MIDI through the Coremidi driver on OSX but I'm certainly interested in sorting it out, especially if it can be done for free in Garageband.

Setup is:

mididevice=coremidi in DOSbox config
SCVA 1.05 (non cloud version) for Mac
Garageband to load VST

Behavior is SC VA loads but instruments do not switch, tone, timbre etc.

Reply 474 of 741, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Unfortunately I'm not a Mac user so I cannot help with OSX/Garageband setup.
But there must be a way for SC-VA to work with Garageband since it is mentioned as a supported host on:
https://www.roland.com/global/products/sound_canvas_va/
Although it is mentioned that SysEx is not supported under Garageband but as I said above it is not required since DOSbox/ScummVM sends midi messages 'as is' and games using GM send Program Change and Controller messages.
Also according to the above link there are problems with Program Change/Bank Select messages with some hosts but Garageband is not listed as a problematic one.
Maybe some midi message filters are applied either in Garageband or in coremidi by default?

Reply 476 of 741, by Nagra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Falcosoft wrote:

Unfortunately I'm not a Mac user so I cannot help with OSX/Garageband setup.?

Thanks for your reply. Maybe somebody else can provide me with a step-by-step-manual?
Jo

MacMini 2018, DOS Box, SCUMM VM, Munt

Reply 478 of 741, by MAN-biker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Roland User wrote:

So, what about fix chorus in drum sets if used map SC-88 and newer ?

I think, you should write to Roland, not here.

Games' collection 1983-2017. Nickname MAN-biker is registered!
Black Sect Remake (AGS) - Russian version
Lands of Lore: The Throne of Chaos [CD] - Russian version
Warcraft Adventures: Lord of the Clans - Full walkthrough

Reply 479 of 741, by Dioxaz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Falcosoft wrote:
All legitimate versions of SC-VA work in XP but only in trial mode. So the 10 min/session restriction is active, but the 14 day […]
Show full quote

Working in XP?!
All versions of SCVA I have tested DONT work in WinXP (no sounds).

All legitimate versions of SC-VA work in XP but only in trial mode. So the 10 min/session restriction is active, but the 14 day limit is not (most likely because of the activation component's incompatibility).
Edit:
SC-VA under XP:
https://youtu.be/Z9T_BdqT60A
Edit 2:
You should not install it under XP, just use the '...\Roland\Sound Canvas VA' folder's content of your legitimate copy.

Slightly different feedback in my case. The version Roland sent me to download for purchase is version 1.0.0.6. This is the one I installed and activated under Windows 7. It works under that OS, no problem. Now if I copy my installation folder into Windows XP and try to use it under VST MIDI synth, I get no sound. If I replace the 1.0.0.6 "SOUND Canvas VA.dll" from a 1.0.0.3 from a trial version, I'm no getting a "Your trial period has expired" message. Can this be related to the fact that I tried to run a trial version a few years ago? So, in my case, the time limits definitely triggers. Are the legit and trial versions of the "SOUND Canvas VA.dll" different?
So, making this working under XP might not as straightforward in the end.

My Amstrad Mega PC personal archive.