VOGONS

First post, by kd0kqq

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Has anyone had any experience with this motherboard I'm getting ready to build my first Pentium mmx in I bet 20 years and I'm thinking about buy this board there is a few of them for sale online right now
Thanks

Reply 2 of 7, by kd0kqq

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well I received the motherboard yesterday after playing with it for quite awhile I got it all up and running

I'm still waiting on my cpu k6-3 but for now I'm playing with an old Intel 233mmx and seems very stable at 300mhz 2.9 volts is all

The only thing that make me a bit nervous is a transistor that seems to get pretty warm and biostar put a pretty big heat sink on it I may just throw a small fan on it and call it good

Reply 3 of 7, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm not familiar with that board but the hot component might be an onboard regulator for the +3.3V supply. From what I searched I see that's an ATX board, and ATX does provide a 3.3v rail at the power connector, but some boards still preferred to have their own onboard regulator for that voltage.
I don't know if they had any reliability issues on that board, but it wouldn't hurt to keep it cool, especially if you'll be installing a higher powered 3D accelerator.

Reply 4 of 7, by kd0kqq

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think you are probably right I did put a small fan on it last night just for piece of mind and I am using a GeForce2 mx400 video card for now until I can find a voodoo3 for the right price I will try to upload some photos of it later

Reply 5 of 7, by kd0kqq

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Resized_20180121_121232.jpeg
Filename
Resized_20180121_121232.jpeg
File size
948.84 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Resized_20180121_023705.jpeg
Filename
Resized_20180121_023705.jpeg
File size
1.06 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Here is a few pictures it's know where near done but it's a start

Reply 6 of 7, by kd0kqq

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well my build is all done I put a k6-2+ 500 clocked to 550, 256mb ram, a late awe 32 basically a awe 64 with ram and last a geforce3 ti 200 until I get my hands on the right prices voodoo 3 all in all I got this built for a little over a $100 and it plays most games pretty decent for the 90s that is.

I also don't know if I just got lucky with this biostar board but it hasn't given me one problem yet I just wish I could get it over a 100fsb but I tried all the jumpers in every spot and 100 is max but you can get a 68.4 and a 72 or some odd number

Reply 7 of 7, by Viserion

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You have been lucky with yours.

A few months back I had a real hard time making one with a 166MHz and a 200MHz CPU to work.
Both where MMX versions of the CPUs.

After several days of frustration, I connected a pc speaker to it, and the beep code I got suggested ram problems, or so I think it was.
Didn't make much difference what I did. Changed ram chips, graphics cards and settings on the MB.
Still nothing.

Left it alone for a while, and started at it again only to run into the same problems.
Then for whatever reason I took out the bios chip and put it into a programmer I had bought for another project a few years ago, deleted the bios that was there, and flashed with one I found on the net somewhere, and it booted straight away witht the 200MHz.Later I tried the 166MHz and it worked as well..

Could have saved myself a lot of grief had I known about it before hand, but one thing to be aware of this MB is that if previous owner havn't upgraded the bios, the CPU support appear to be limited.
Once it has a newer bios, it looks to support most socket 7 CPUs out there.

A little supries you got it up to 500MHz, as far as I remember this is a Socket 7 MB, without Super socket 7 support.
Guess I was wrong.