VOGONS

WIP versions

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 320 of 1111, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
UCyborg wrote:

Nice to learn something new about VMware's SVGA driver. I totally missed with that anti-aliasing guess, just an assumption from the error thrown by Unigine Heaven when trying to use it. Will be cool to see dgVoodoo in action on VMware.

Win7 platform update fixed MS WARP, there were no problems with compute shaders and structured buffers support. dgVoodoo ran with it nicely (so far as a software renderer can nicely run).
VMWare SVGA remained the same.
Structured buffers are essential in dgVoodoo and are used in a lot of shaders. So, it won't run hw accelerated unless VMWare SVGA gets support for that some day.

UCyborg wrote:

I've read that Interstate '76 uses MechWarrior 2 engine. I76 has a number of odd glitches. I didn't go to deep into it, but have noticed its GDI renderer fails on NT systems, assuming BitBlt function should return the width of the whatever it renders to, which only happens on 9x systems. I wonder if documentation ever said something about that; as long as it returns positive value, everything's OK. And the game must run at 20 FPS due to physics. The fan forum says 24 FPS is the golden number, but I always thought 20 is better for correctness, it's hard to tell honestly.

The gold patch also brings in some new problems (and a Glide2 renderer). The most interesting thing about its Glide renderer, I only managed to get it working without glitches with dgVoodoo1, with the two magic settings: Texture mem size set to maximum (65536 kB) and Texmem scaled to 4MB enabled. Otherwise it would glitch, textures flashing, being randomly replaced with others to be precise. Supposedly this occurs on the real Voodoo card as well.

I never tried IS 76 with dgVoodoo2...
But I'm wondering why texture memory scaling is needed for that. I introduced that only because of Red Baron 3D because of its bug related to texture memory size any other than 4MB.
The same bug in IS76?

Reply 321 of 1111, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Destroy wrote:

The best and easiest way to run Mechwarrior 2 on winXP,Vista or win7 is to simply install Mechwarrior 2 through the latest MechVM program.

Yes, I own the original non-3D accelerated version of Mechwarrior 2 for Dos and it works fine in Dos box. Not sure how well a Dos 3D accelerated version works in Dos however.

Only a few versions of Mech2 are Dos or have a Dos install option on them. Most 3dfx cards at the time shipped with a windows only version. I think most people, myself included, only have access to a win9x version. 🙁

Ah, yes, I messed up MechVM with DosBox.
MechVM always crashed for me when I was trying with MechWarrior2, so I couldn't have a look how it goes with dgVoodoo.

Reply 322 of 1111, by UCyborg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dege wrote:

Win7 platform update fixed MS WARP, there were no problems with compute shaders and structured buffers support. dgVoodoo ran with it nicely (so far as a software renderer can nicely run).
VMWare SVGA remained the same.
Structured buffers are essential in dgVoodoo and are used in a lot of shaders. So, it won't run hw accelerated unless VMWare SVGA gets support for that some day.

OK, if those things are a must for dgVoodoo, then no possibility for HW accelerated rendering in VMware is expected. WARP is working for me as well on Win7. I guess WARP wasn't updated for Vista.

Dege wrote:

I never tried IS 76 with dgVoodoo2...
But I'm wondering why texture memory scaling is needed for that. I introduced that only because of Red Baron 3D because of its bug related to texture memory size any other than 4MB.
The same bug in IS76?

Should in theory just setting Texture memory size to 4096 without enabling scaling accomplish the same thing? Tried that and some other combinations, didn't work. But somehow, with the magic combination I mentioned, I got from start to finish without any noticeable glitches. Maybe they were actually just delayed and would have to remain on the same map for really long time before they would pop up. Who knows what's wrong with this game.

Arthur Schopenhauer wrote:

A man can be himself only so long as he is alone; and if he does not love solitude, he will not love freedom; for it is only when he is alone that he is really free.

Reply 324 of 1111, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a forgotten WIP:

=========================
WIP42:
=========================

- Glide fixes (broken multiadapter handling, manual screen mode changing)
- Distorted polygons (Gunmetal), fixed (?)
- Minor D3D regression bug fixed
- Mod option for controlling scaling of RT textures (Morrowind, Broken Sword - Sleeping Dragon)
- Minor D3D DDI bug fixed (Bear Hero)
- D3D8 window activating workaround for compatibility (crash in RavenShield)
- DDraw PageLock error, fixed (A Bug's Life)

http://dege.fw.hu/temp/dgVoodooWIP42.zip
http://dege.fw.hu/temp/dgVoodooWIP42_dbg.zip

Reply 326 of 1111, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There's still the old problem with the configurator.

The configurator *SHOWS* the MSAA set to "off" - when the config file is correctly set by default to "App Driven" - for first the application showed (not the first one in the list, the first you open the "DirectX" tab).

Reply 328 of 1111, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dege wrote:

It seems not working (I'm using a NVCP declared 1440x1080 set in the game menu and NOT forced via dgVoodoo2, centered on a 1920x1080 panel)

Log: Spawning new actor for Viewport WindowsViewport0
ScriptLog: R6Game.R6PlanningCtrl R6Game.R6PlanningCtrl
Log: Possessed PlayerPawn: R6PlanningCtrl Oil_Refinery.R6PlanningCtrl0
Log: R6PlanningCtrl0 got player WindowsViewport0
Log: Allocating 65536 byte dynamic vertex buffer.
Log: Deleting destroyed actor
Log: Deleting destroyed actor
ScriptLog: R6Console CreateInGameMenus bLaunchMultiPlayer False
Log: Collecting garbage
Log: Purging garbage
Log: Garbage: objects: 49452->47197; refs: 648133
Log: Allocating 16384 byte dynamic index buffer.
Log: Enter SetRes: 1440x1080 Fullscreen 1
Init: Best-match display mode: 1440x1080x32@60 (Error=0)
Log: Using back-buffer format 22(32-bit)
Log: Using depth-buffer format 75(32-bit)
Log: Creating device
Init: D3D Driver: CreateDevice: will use hardware transform and lighting.
Init: D3D Driver: CreateDevice: will use hardware vertex processing
Log: Enter SetRes: 1440x1080 Fullscreen 1
Init: Best-match display mode: 1440x1080x32@60 (Error=0)
Log: Viewport WindowsViewport0: WM_DisplayChange
Log: Enter SetRes: 1920x1057 Fullscreen 1
Init: Best-match display mode: 1920x1080x32@60 (Error=23)
Init: CreateDevice (D3DERR_NOTAVAILABLE)
Log: Enter SetRes: 1920x1080 Fullscreen 1
Init: Best-match display mode: 1920x1080x32@60 (Error=0)
Log: Enter SetRes: 1936x1119 Fullscreen 1
Init: Best-match display mode: 1920x1080x32@60 (Error=55)
Init: D3D Driver: CreateDevice: will use hardware vertex processing
Log: Enter SetRes: 1904x1041 Fullscreen 1
Init: Best-match display mode: 1920x1080x32@60 (Error=55)
Log: Enter SetRes: 1920x1080 Fullscreen 1
Init: Best-match display mode: 1920x1080x32@60 (Error=0)
Init: D3D Driver: CreateDevice: will use hardware vertex pr

Reply 332 of 1111, by daniel_u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dege wrote:

It's strange. I cannot reproduce neither the crash nor the missing oil splash.
It may depends on the resolution (and it's a z-fighting issue in fact), I'll check that out.

This looks like the issues in SC1 @ 2 where some things dissapers with mouse move.
Z-fighting issue also in SC1 when resolution is 640/x480. You can find the details in the SC thread, first page.

It would be awesome if you can fix these z- figting issue.
You might thing the 640x480 is not important but it is and here me why: With high res some games dont render some effects.
Playing in 480p with insane AA give the best look and feel.

@Lowenz where i can i find this custom D3DD8 dll? Will check his thread anyway.

Reply 333 of 1111, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
lowenz wrote:

Addendum: other intepretation -> "Off" and "App Driven" values are swapped

Indeed, fixed. Thanks!

lowenz wrote:

Dege wrote:

It seems not working (I'm using a NVCP declared 1440x1080 set in the game menu and NOT forced via dgVoodoo2, centered on a 1920x1080 panel)

What is the log of dgVoodoo for the crash?

Reply 336 of 1111, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hmm......
I really don't know what to think about this problem. I tried RavenShield on two different machines (AMD, nVidia, Intel GPU's) but it just works perfectly for me with WIP42.
No crash, the oil splashes don't disappear, even seems to be independent on the resolution.

If there is no a single line of log then dgVoodoo probably not fired up at all.

Are we trying with different versions of the game?

Reply 339 of 1111, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

End of Twilight
Hogs of War
Nelson Piquet's Grand Prix Evolution
S.W.I.N.E
The Gladiators: Galactic Circus Games
---
All still have issues.

Nexus: The Jupiter Incident's DX8 render still crashes when going to the menu. One of the game that needs DisableDefaultResolutions on some setups.

Paradise Cracked was fixed in WIP42 (broken in WIP41).

KainXVIII wrote:

Tried WIP with Shadows of the Empire (for higher resolution support) and i can see only sky in first level 😵

Works fine in WIP39. Broken in WIP40+