VOGONS

First post, by Braca862

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone,

My old Dell computer is having an issue just now, where it always restarts right after the Windows 98 splash screen and the Config.sys information. It can still boot into safe mode and a command prompt. Yesterday I installed the Windows 98 auto-patcher, which installs all the official updates and some additional tweaks. The computer was running fine at the time.

This is not the first time I had a problem like this. I initially suspected that it was a RAM issue, because when I removed a memory stick, the computer booted normally. I first had the issue with 640 MB or RAM, then 512 MB, and now 256 MB. The last thing I did before this occurred was that I was installing AOL 9.0 VR. Then I realized that it was no longer supported. So I uninstalled AOL, and when it was complete, it told me that I had to restart my computer. I clicked yes, and that was when the problem began.

Here are my computer's current specs.

Windows 98 SE
Dell Dimension XPS T500
256 MB of RAM
Voodoo 3 graphics card
Intel Pentium III 1 GHz

Reply 2 of 4, by Braca862

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just ran memtest86, no errors detected. What I was able to do so far was to run a step-by-step confirmation and answered no to most of the overrides, and windows was able to boot up normally, with several vxd's inactive. So there must be one or more vxd files that is causing the problem.

Reply 3 of 4, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It can be also your PSU, or maybe the HDD, or even IDE cable..
Try other memory sticks.
There is a chance to be also the slots of the motherboard.
Other thing before that you can clean your memory slots with brush (for example im using brush for makeup is ideal for cleaning dust from hardware..).
Also clean the contact pins of your memory with 90%+ alcohol, you can be amazed how not working PCI/AGP/ISA, Memory that don`t work after good cleaning with 95% alcohol it makes them working...

Mah systems retro, old, newer (Radical stuff)
W3680 4.5/ GA-x58 UD7/ R9 280x
K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM x2 P3 933/ GA-6VXD7/ Voodoo V 5.5K
Cmq P2 450/ GA-BX2000/ V2 SLI
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 4 of 4, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

@Radical Vision
Please stop.

This advice isn't particularly helpful, in part because it's very generic, but also because prior troubleshooting has eliminated some of the problem sources you're suggesting.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder