VOGONS

Peixoto's patches for a few old games

Topic actions

Reply 140 of 890, by Lifell

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cloudhaacker wrote:

Sorry Lifell, I guess I just assumed you downloaded the game because your folder layout was different than mine, and so I went and found one online that was downloaded and it had those files you had so I just assumed. Sorry! I checked my readme and my version is 1.4, so maybe that is the difference? The registry thing was for that downloaded version, so don't worry about that. Although I will say, because of that I found a way to edit the registry and copy some files to the game folder from the disc so I can play without my cd mounted anymore. Hopefully Peixoto's work that he's doing on the 8 bit color mode helps your version - I just tried to look and I can't find anything about patching the game from 1.1 to 1.4. If you have color problems, before I used Peixoto's patch I used to use PalletteStealerSuspender and that helped the color problems I used to have. Good luck, Heart of Darkness is a great game - I still enjoy firing up sometimes!

No problem! To be honest I don't think it would be weird if people pirated this game. It's not purchaseable anywhere now as far as I know. I don't think old games should not be played just because it's not purchaseable anywhere. But that's my just my opinion.

Regardless, I think the version difference might be the problem then. I aimed for this patch because it fixes resolution and black bars stuff. The problem with colors is only an issue in Windows Vista/Windows 7 if I remember correctly. I'll look around for possible alternatives.

Either way, thanks for the help! Atleast I'm a bit closer now to the actual problem!

EDIT: It's probably a lost cause but I mailed Interplay regarding patching to the latest version. Although I said 1.4. I kind of assumed that's the latest version. Oh well...

Reply 141 of 890, by Peixoto

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cloudhaacker wrote:

I can't get the black bars to stay on screen 🤣 so I can see my desktop.

This will be fixed in the next update

cloudhaacker wrote:

Peixoto's patch may be trying to correct things that the registry file is trying to fix too.

Nope

Lifell wrote:

The problem with colors is only an issue in Windows Vista/Windows 7 if I remember correctly.

Yes, but you still get one frame with wrong colors every time the game update's the palette

Reply 143 of 890, by Peixoto

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
hitoame113 wrote:

Hello! I have problem with Sanitarium, after patch the FMVs are just black screen with sound 🙁

Can you please try to create a trace file with apitrace (https://github.com/apitrace/apitrace) ?

the error.log file might also help

Reply 144 of 890, by hitoame113

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm very sorry but I don't understand a word in the link you gave (English isn't native language either) to the point i don't even know what a trace file is :'(
Could you please give me instructions as if I'm 5 years old? :')

Reply 146 of 890, by lightmaster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
hitoame113 wrote:

I'm very sorry but I don't understand a word in the link you gave (English isn't native language either) to the point i don't even know what a trace file is :'(

Sorry for what? Where's the guilt of not understand something? A trace file is a file generated with that program, you must generate it, then upload it somewhere so he can view it and analyse it to help you and to help us. And theres one other file too. Good Luck!

25071588525_735097840e_b.jpg

Reply 147 of 890, by Peixoto

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
hitoame113 wrote:

Download Apitrace,

Paste apitrace ddraw.dll in the game directory and run the game.

A .trace file will be created in the game directory. Keep it short, play just enough to see the problem

The error.log file also may help. And double check if you have not configured a FMV scale too big

Reply 148 of 890, by hitoame113

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Please bear with my stupidity! >.<
The only ddraw file i found there is ddraw.py, I tried to paste it into the game directory and followed your instructions, but it didn't create any trace files...
here is the error log though puu.sh/z4QOQ.log

Reply 149 of 890, by lightmaster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

HEllo there:
You are not stupid ;·)
You got to learn, that's all, there's no more science than that ;·)
Download apitrace application from github's link posted above (Obtaining apitrace)
Follow Peixoto's steps.
EDit it so it gets smaller, search the problem, that gives Peixoto's time to help.
Cheers 'n' Good Luck!

25071588525_735097840e_b.jpg

Reply 150 of 890, by Peixoto

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
hitoame113 wrote:

Please bear with my stupidity! >.<
The only ddraw file i found there is ddraw.py, I tried to paste it into the game directory and followed your instructions, but it didn't create any trace files...
here is the error log though puu.sh/z4QOQ.log

You downloaded the source. Binaries here: http://apitrace.github.io/#download

Reply 151 of 890, by TheMadMan007

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey, I just wanted to say thanks for the awesome patch, but I did have an issue with running this with Prince of Persia Sands of Time. Removeing the terrible post processing is awesome, but when I try to quit out of the game, it is not allowing me to, it just goes to a black screen and then the health bar pops up and then drains into this weird Death Loop over and over again. I have to Alt+Tab out and close it manually. Is there a way to remove the PostProcessing without running the rest of this patch stuff? I don't want to have shortcuts and don't want to have to run the patch program every time.

Reply 152 of 890, by Peixoto

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, a new version is on line:

- New Patches:
Star wars Jedi Knight - Dark Forces II
Star wars Jedi Knight - Mysteries of The Sith
Mageslayer
Take no prisoners

- Fixed FMVs skipping in Sanitarium
- Fixed FMV playback on GOG\Steam Soul Reaver
- Fixed crashes on the load screen in Resident Evil 2
- Dynamic Super Resolutin Supported in most Games

catfromnesbox wrote:

i want to play ''Blast Thru'' but it runs so slow (1fps) on window 8.1 and 10. it runs fine on older windows

Added to the list

TheMadMan007 wrote:

Hey, I just wanted to say thanks for the awesome patch, but I did have an issue with running this with Prince of Persia Sands of Time. Removeing the terrible post processing is awesome, but when I try to quit out of the game, it is not allowing me to, it just goes to a black screen and then the health bar pops up and then drains into this weird Death Loop over and over again. I have to Alt+Tab out and close it manually. Is there a way to remove the PostProcessing without running the rest of this patch stuff? I don't want to have shortcuts and don't want to have to run the patch program every time.

You have to run the patch program every time, there is no other way. If you don't want the shortcut, just copy the arguments from the shortcut and create your own shortcut\batch file.

I was aware of the "black screen bug" but it never bothered me because in my "developer" version i can close the game simply by closing the injector console windows. I'll try to fix that bug in the next version

EDIT: i can no longer reproduce this bug in the latest version, please check if it was fixed ?

Reply 153 of 890, by TheMadMan007

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ah ok, bummer, I really just wanted to remove the blurry post processing and was trying to figure out if there was a way to just inject the script changes for disabling the post processing permanently as that is all I need. It's mainly because I use Steam for all my games and having the steam timer keep track of my hours is really valuable to me (That and a clean desktop with no shortcuts) What do you mean by copy the arguments? Are you talking about the stuff in the AHK files?

As far as the bug, I uninstalled and reinstalled and the bug didn't happen. Then all I did was change the FMV scale from 1.0 to 10.0 because the FMV was super small, and I ran into the Black Screen death loop again.

Reply 154 of 890, by Peixoto

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TheMadMan007 wrote:

Ah ok, bummer, I really just wanted to remove the blurry post processing and was trying to figure out if there was a way to just inject the script changes for disabling the post processing permanently as that is all I need. It's mainly because I use Steam for all my games and having the steam timer keep track of my hours is really valuable to me (That and a clean desktop with no shortcuts) What do you mean by copy the arguments? Are you talking about the stuff in the AHK files?

As far as the bug, I uninstalled and reinstalled and the bug didn't happen. Then all I did was change the FMV scale from 1.0 to 10.0 because the FMV was super small, and I ran into the Black Screen death loop again.

Ok,i managed to reproduce the bug, i'll see if a can fix it.

About the shortcut. It starts injector.exe and passes command line arguments telling it what game to star and what to do with it.
You can copy those arguments (right click the shortcut and select properties) and create your own shortcut o batch file

EDIT: i have updated the POP script. I believe its fixed now, but i doesn't skips the intro movies anymore

Reply 155 of 890, by TheMadMan007

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Awesome, yeah, it seems to be fixed, and the skipping intro videos isn't really an issue as I just deleted the intro videos.

Once last thing that I'm trying to figure out....
If I use your patch, it disables the filter and I am also able to use the game in 1920x1080. If I try and use ReShade (it makes the game look incredible as well with the colors more vibrant) ReShade won't use the widescreen settings. From what it seems like, its the d3d9.dll file is the culprit. this file will either allow 1080p resolution with your patch, or ReShade to work but at the max 1600x1200 resolution of the default game and no widescreen fix will work.

So, is there a way to have your patch and ReShade work together? Because I think the vibrant colors really add to the game, but I want to take full advantage of your patch as well as disabling the filter has to be done to make the game not look like a blurry mess. Again thanks for all your hard work!

Reply 156 of 890, by Peixoto

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TheMadMan007 wrote:
Awesome, yeah, it seems to be fixed, and the skipping intro videos isn't really an issue as I just deleted the intro videos. […]
Show full quote

Awesome, yeah, it seems to be fixed, and the skipping intro videos isn't really an issue as I just deleted the intro videos.

Once last thing that I'm trying to figure out....
If I use your patch, it disables the filter and I am also able to use the game in 1920x1080. If I try and use ReShade (it makes the game look incredible as well with the colors more vibrant) ReShade won't use the widescreen settings. From what it seems like, its the d3d9.dll file is the culprit. this file will either allow 1080p resolution with your patch, or ReShade to work but at the max 1600x1200 resolution of the default game and no widescreen fix will work.

So, is there a way to have your patch and ReShade work together? Because I think the vibrant colors really add to the game, but I want to take full advantage of your patch as well as disabling the filter has to be done to make the game not look like a blurry mess. Again thanks for all your hard work!

My patch doesn't conflict with reshade. The problem is that when you install reshade you overwrite the widescreen patch d3d9.dll file. Fortunately, i have an old version of the patch that uses dinput8.dll instead d3d9.dll. Here:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApHOE-Ru-xkGgX01aZRYZeS_doj2

Reply 157 of 890, by TheMadMan007

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wow, that totally works, thanks man! Anyways yeah, I guess it was the other two files that were conflicting, but this basically makes this game perfect in my eyes. Thank you so much! I've been wanting to play through it with my wife as she's never seen it, but I never liked the look of it, but with the widescreen, ReShade and your patch, it's absolutely perfect.

Reply 158 of 890, by uncaged

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Greetings!
Let me ask please. Is it possible to fix the bug in Star Wars Rogue Squadron 3D, where camera barely chases the player's aircraft after a while?

Some more details can be found here
https://steamcommunity.com/app/455910/discuss … 63537813580905/

Reply 159 of 890, by Peixoto

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
uncaged wrote:
Greetings! Let me ask please. Is it possible to fix the bug in Star Wars Rogue Squadron 3D, where camera barely chases the playe […]
Show full quote

Greetings!
Let me ask please. Is it possible to fix the bug in Star Wars Rogue Squadron 3D, where camera barely chases the player's aircraft after a while?

Some more details can be found here
https://steamcommunity.com/app/455910/discuss … 63537813580905/

Have you tried single core affinity as some people in the link you posted suggested?

You can use my program to set it if you need, create an ini file in the scripts folder and add this line to it:
singlecore=1

If it doesn't help, i can add the game to my list, but this in not the king o thing i'm good at fixing