VOGONS

Reply 1560 of 3172, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't have an adapter either - I am sending mine to a friend for programming as I don't fancy waiting 40 days for an ebay one ....

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 1562 of 3172, by 640K!enough

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Phreeze wrote:

Should i only solder jp0,1,2,3 when i use ram ? I'm planning on only using a simm. What size can i take? 1MB or 4MB?

No; JP0 through JP3 always need to be bridged one way or the other (unless you have neither SOJ DRAM nor SIMM). They serve to select whether each RAM bank is directed to the SOJ DRAM ICs or the SIMM. Since you are only planning to use a SIMM, they should all have pads 1-2 bridged. This might be part of the reason that the memory test failed. Try that and run the test again; when working properly, it should find the correct amount of memory, and the test should pass (assuming your SIMM is good).

Reply 1563 of 3172, by 640K!enough

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:

started populating a card - no surprises so far! 😀

I don't know if it's just the picture/glare, but it looks like the InterWave is off to one side horizontally, with a few pins almost close enough to the neighbouring pad to cause trouble. If it's not just the picture, it might be worth a look under magnification.

Reply 1564 of 3172, by Phreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
640K!enough wrote:

For anyone who is interested, Digi-Key has stock of the 44-SOP 29F800, no 20-week wait. It is part number 1092-1084-ND.

digikey is good enough for US customers, for us in europe, you need to get over 50eur to get free shipping, else it's 16eur shipping! So for small parts, it's not the way to go.

ArGUS Parts list: http://bit.ly/2Ddf89V

Reply 1565 of 3172, by QBiN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
shock__ wrote:

Any success/failure stories of completed prototypes so far?
cyclone3d/640k!enough/QBiN did your prototypes arrive yet?

I did receive mine earlier this week. It may take a while to start building for me as I just started a new job. Hopefully the lead time the rest of the gang has will reduce my learning curve once I get started.

Reply 1566 of 3172, by Synoptic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
640K!enough wrote:
Synoptic wrote:

Anyhow, did you already purchased all the required components ? I'd like to use your list and vendors so I can start to build mine.

So far, I have only started thinking about building the list of parts. I am not planning on placing any orders until I have the board in my hands, so I didn't see any need to rush. In the worst case, if it isn't lost altogether or on its way back to Germany, I might see the board sometime in March/April.

Alright. I'll tag team with you on this. If you don't mind, could you share your parts list with me when you get the card ? I am also willing to start bulding mine and lend it to you while you wait for yours.

Reply 1571 of 3172, by 640K!enough

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keenerb wrote:

Are boards still available? How much?

The prototypes were produced as a limited run, only for those who were interested. I don't think there are any boards to spare.

The plan was also to restrict availability of the final boards to those who contributed to the project (financially or technically) during the donation period, since there are a limited number of InterWave chips. I am not aware of any change in that regard.

Reply 1572 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
640K!enough wrote:
keenerb wrote:

Are boards still available? How much?

The prototypes were produced as a limited run, only for those who were interested. I don't think there are any boards to spare.

The plan was also to restrict availability of the final boards to those who contributed to the project (financially or technically) during the donation period, since there are a limited number of InterWave chips. I am not aware of any change in that regard.

That is both correct.
This prototype run didn't have any overproduction and the series run some time later this year if the betatest turns out alright is limited to donors and contributors of the project. It's not too late to join in as a contributor tho, even tho I currently have no idea how that would have to look like.

I just love repeating myself tho 😀 Anyone asking for a board without following the thread will get an additional 50€ price tag if there's (maybe) a public run later on.

Current Project: new GUS PnP compatible soundcard

[Z?]

Reply 1573 of 3172, by keenerb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
shock__ wrote:

I just love repeating myself tho 😀 Anyone asking for a board without following the thread will get an additional 50€ price tag if there's (maybe) a public run later on.

I was following this project fairly intently back in early 2016, trying to help find some ROM files and whatnot, but there's been 40 pages of additional posts since then. I did try to find an update, but some of the common terms like "board" aren't even searchable. Maybe you should get an update on that first post, considering the very promising "development blog" link is actually just a recursive link to the same first post...

In any event it's a shame there won't be a generally available board. Would have been fun to assemble.

Reply 1574 of 3172, by 640K!enough

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you can forgive somewhat blurry pictures, there has been another little bit of progress. Something I have wanted for a while has finally gone from theory to drawing board to reality. One reason for the rev. 2 ROM module was to allow programming of the flash ICs without having to do any soldering. I have now managed to assemble all of the parts and do some initial testing, and it seems to work as intended.

For the curious, this is the revised ROM module (yes, this one was hacked together without the proper pin headers):

ROM Module.jpg
Filename
ROM Module.jpg
File size
126.39 KiB
Views
File comment
Rev 2 ROM module prototype (blurry)
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

You may have already seen my parallel-port flash programmer board (pictured previously), but there is now another accessory: an adaptor that allows a ROM module to be directly plugged in for programming. That looks like this:

Programming Adaptor.jpg
Filename
Programming Adaptor.jpg
File size
225.45 KiB
Views
File comment
ROM module programming adaptor (slightly blurry)
File license

That allowed another test: I assembled another ROM module, with 2 2 MiB flash ICs, programmed them using the adaptor, and am now listening to MIDI playback using a 4 MiB ROM set (with obligatory paranoid stares to watch for sparks or magic smoke). So far, it's not bad at all. The increased capacity also means that I could include an SBOS chunk in the ROM, so I will be able to do some testing of SBOS and company in the near future.

Last edited by 640K!enough on 2018-02-04, 01:52. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1575 of 3172, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ looking good!
did you also made an adapter to fit the romboard on the argus? I am interested to see how you solved the sop->dip issue

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 1576 of 3172, by 640K!enough

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:

^ looking good!
did you also made an adapter to fit the romboard on the argus? I am interested to see how you solved the sop->dip issue

I did. The first-generation prototype is a little big, but will accept up to two of the modules pictured previously, for a total of 8 MiB. It looks like this:

ARGUS Adaptor.jpg
Filename
ARGUS Adaptor.jpg
File size
80.74 KiB
Views
File comment
ARGUS ROM carrier board (KiCad rendering)
File license

Those boards are in the shipment that has yet to arrive. Basically, this board relies on the fact that we have the elongated pads. Instead of a SOP IC, you install pin headers (X3 included) and attach the board that way.

Reply 1577 of 3172, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

interesting idea, can't wait to see it in action 😀

Reply 1578 of 3172, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So I am getting ready to order parts and a programmer.

I've never had a programmer before so I need to know what will work.

I am looking at a TL866A and adapters, but could buy something else if that one won't work.

I also need the programmer for programming some C/MS upgrade GALs as well so it is not like I will only be buying a programmer for this one thing.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 1579 of 3172, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

TL866 is very good and it will also program the GALs for the CMS upgrade. You need this adapter for the 29F800 eeprom: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/202113294649