VOGONS

First post, by squiggly

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I know there are tons of A3D questions on here already...but I am struggling to get confirmation of this specific point.

How well if at all does the Live! support A3D 1.0? Does it depend on the A2D driver?

I already have another build with a Vortex2 card for A3D 2.0, but I was wondering how well my build with a Live! can handle any earlier (pre-99) games that make use of A3D 1.0.

I know there have been suggestions a Santa Cruz is a good option for EAX/A3D1.0 support...but I have a ton of Live!s and would rather not shell out for an expensive and rare Turtle Beach sound card if my Live! is more than up to the job.

I also have read that the Audigy1 supports A3D 1.0...is it's support better different to the Live!?

Thanks in advance for any insights into this!

Reply 2 of 6, by squiggly

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ZanQuance wrote:

A3D 1.0 is just 22kHz HRTF, the Live! sounds okay. Sensaura doing A3D 1.0/2.0 sounds much better though.

So long as it "works" - i.e. games detect A3D is available and I can select it, and doesn't sound totally horrible, I can live with it. Most of the big games supports A3D 2.0 (Half life, Unreal), but I would like to be able to get good surround with Thief1 which uses A3D 1.0 apparently.

Reply 3 of 6, by ZanQuance

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Only the alpha demo of Thief1 used A3D directly, and has no code for it in the release version. We looked into this back a few years when I first showed interest into the Aureal cards again, I tore apart the games and looked into them to see if they had the A3D init calls and only the alpha demo version does.
I think the release version is just DS3D.