VOGONS

First post, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Awhile back I bought an AT lunchbox case. It was complete, except the video card.
The brand is "Acme Portable Machines'.

It came with the technical manual.

According to the manual, the LCD display is a Toshiba LTM10C035; a 10.4" TFT LCD capable of 800 x 600 at 256k colors.

Also according to the manual, it takes a chips & technology based video card, a Mintronix 6554x video adapter.
It says the family of boards are the AV545-ISA, the AV548-PCI, and the AV550PCI video cards based either on the 65545 or 65548 C&T controller.
I know it has a 50 pin female cable leading to the display.

The manual also mentions an Acme Conversion board. Basically it connects to the feature connector of a standard vga card, and also connects to the from the conversion card to the vga out on the vga card, routing the video to the display.

What I'm wondering is, if there is some way to talk to this video display? I've seen driver boards designed to make LCD displays work with Raspberry Pi. They take standard vga or hdmi input and pass it on to the lcd.

What my goal is is to put a 486 motherboard in it, and use it as a semi-portable retro-gaming rig. Able to swap in and out vintage hardware as desired needed, and fairly portable so I'm not tied to a desk. If I have to, I can put a Raspberry Pi or other sbc in it (leaving lots and lots of room for batteries!) but I'd rather use it as a vintage PC.

Any advice anyone can give me on this I would greatly appreciate.

Reply 2 of 9, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's likely intended to interface with a standardized LCD pinheader on a video card, a lot of single-board PCs for industrial use had them but I've also seen them on discrete video cards (usually PCI.)

Here's an example on an Advantech PCA-6751 (I have one of these), it's the two white pin blocks below the IDE port. Not surprisingly the onboard video chip is a C&T 69000.
pca-6751-advantech-pca-6751-circuit-board.jpg

Manual (look at page 21 for info or 81+82 for the pinouts!

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 3 of 9, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jheronimus wrote:

Damn, this sounds like something I’m really looking for. Can you post some photos, please? Is the TFT active matrix?

Sure, I'll try getting some pix of the case and manual for you. I believe the TFT is active matrix, but I don't know for sure because I can't attach a video card to it.

Reply 4 of 9, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here are some pix of the lunchbox case...

screen.jpg
Filename
screen.jpg
File size
137.05 KiB
Views
File comment
The screen...
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
keyboard.jpg
Filename
keyboard.jpg
File size
119.17 KiB
Views
File comment
The keyboard...
File license
inside_case_01.jpg
Filename
inside_case_01.jpg
File size
142.12 KiB
Views
File comment
Inside the case...
File license
inside_case_rear.jpg
Filename
inside_case_rear.jpg
File size
94.27 KiB
Views
File comment
The rear panel of the case. The schematic indicates that this takes a P5B V3+ motherboard...
File license

(I happen to have a p5B motherboard... it's a socket 7 I have K6-300 cpu in.)

display_cable.jpg
Filename
display_cable.jpg
File size
111.87 KiB
Views
File comment
The 50 pin ribbon cable leading to the display.
File license

Reply 5 of 9, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

And here are some pix of the manual...

cover.jpg
Filename
cover.jpg
File size
106.03 KiB
Views
File comment
Acme Portable Machines...
File license
displays.jpg
Filename
displays.jpg
File size
168.33 KiB
Views
File comment
The various displays. This case has a 10.4" LCD in it.
File license
video_cards_00.jpg
Filename
video_cards_00.jpg
File size
121.6 KiB
Views
File comment
About the possible video cards...
File license
video_cards.jpg
Filename
video_cards.jpg
File size
191.13 KiB
Views
File comment
About the video cards in closer view
File license
conversion_board.jpg
Filename
conversion_board.jpg
File size
207.93 KiB
Views
File comment
There's a conversion board available as an option, presumably to use another video card with the case.
File license

Reply 6 of 9, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

And in case they're of any use...

switchsettings_01.jpg
Filename
switchsettings_01.jpg
File size
191.38 KiB
Views
File comment
Switch settings for various cards using the conversion board
File license
switchsettings_02.jpg
Filename
switchsettings_02.jpg
File size
189.04 KiB
Views
File comment
More switch settings...
File license
feature_connector.jpg
Filename
feature_connector.jpg
File size
240.85 KiB
Views
File comment
About using the feature connector of a 3rd party VGA card with a conversion board
File license

Reply 7 of 9, by timb.us

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Huh, this looks similar to a lunchbox I’ve got sitting in storage, only mine uses a normal VGA connector for the LCD. (It’s a right angle low profile VGA connector that’s run outside the case, by the card slots; the advantage being it can plug into any video card.)

My keyboard is identical to yours, but the case internals and font panel are a bit different.

Anyway, your connector is most likely a standard digital LCD interface, which was common around that time. It may even be standard VGA. It wouldn’t be hard to figure out if you could take the unit apart and get pictures of the LCD’s PCB.

Now I want to pull my system out of storage and get it going. Unfortunately I lost the cage that holds the drives at some point. I need to find someone with metalworking experience and the tools to build one for me.

Last edited by timb.us on 2018-02-10, 21:51. Edited 1 time in total.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. (E.g., Cheez Whiz, RF, Hot Dogs)

Reply 8 of 9, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
timb.us wrote:
Huh, this looks similar to a lunchbox I’ve got sitting in storage, only mine uses a normal VGA connector for the LCD. (It’s a ri […]
Show full quote

Huh, this looks similar to a lunchbox I’ve got sitting in storage, only mine uses a normal VGA connector for the LCD. (It’s a right angle low profile VGA connector that’s run outside the case, by the card slots; the advantage being it can plug into any video card.)

My keyboard is identical to yours, but the case internals and font panel are a bit different.

Anyway, your connector is most likely a standard digital LCD interface, which was common around that time. It may even be standard VGA. It wouldn’t be hard to figure out if you could take the uni apart and get pictures of the LCD’s PCB.

Now I want to pull my system out of storag and get it going. Unfortunately I lost the cage that holds the drives at some point. I need to find someone with metalworking experience and the tools to build on for me.

If/when I get time, I probably will take it apart, since if I can't get the existing LCD to work, I'll be compelled to find a more modern 10.4" 4:3 LCD to replace it.

Reply 9 of 9, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are three AV550 PCI cards listed on eBay at the moment, though they're a bit pricey (US$85-120). Prices for the AV545 ISA are insane though!

Your post has cleared up one mystery for me, I have a full length PCI card with the same 50-pin connector and no SCSI controller chip, driving a display from that port makes sense.