VOGONS

dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 3440 of 3949, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dege wrote:

It turned out to be an issue recently for others too, so I introduced pixel multiplying as a feature in the latest WIPs.
The output image will still be pixelated but since you monitor is driven at a higher physical resolution, you'll get crisper appearance.

Whoops! My fault. I intended that epsxe software plugin has an option to raise internal rendering. That is different from output resolution I suppose. I don't know if you meant that.

"Gamer & collector for passion, I firmly believe in the preservation and the diffusion of old/rare software, against all personal egoisms"

Reply 3441 of 3949, by Waltc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote:
Yes... For anything 2D you only get a blurrier appearance with potentially worse wrapper performance. […]
Show full quote
VicRattlehead wrote:

Motorhead:
Maybe a problem with car shadows with the DirectX renderer?
Is it the same natively?

Myloch wrote:

Raising output resolution only brings benefits to d3d games huh?

Yes...
For anything 2D you only get a blurrier appearance with potentially worse wrapper performance.

Myloch wrote:

I know this is probably a foolish question but is it possible to make something similar to software mode in epsxe where you can raise rendering resolution and have crisper 3d graphics in directdraw too?

It turned out to be an issue recently for others too, so I introduced pixel multiplying as a feature in the latest WIPs.
The output image will still be pixelated but since you monitor is driven at a higher physical resolution, you'll get crisper appearance.

Thought you guys might like to see how a beautifully modded 2d-engine game, MM6, runs under a 3d engine @ 2560x1440 with a little help from DGVoodoo2.54 (a lot of help, actually...😉) Rodril did a fantastic job, I thought.

The first link explains the mod; the second link is to the DGVoodoo2.54 config instructions. Tomchen1989 gets all the credit for that!

I've attached a screen shot of MM6, running through the MM8 3d game engine, @ an aspect incorrect (doesn't bother me because I actually think aspect correct pinches the game on the X axis) 2560x1440...It's MM6 in full 3d at those resolutions (and more, if you got 'em)--it's not been done before. Unlike the partial modification for MM7 called MMTools, the Rodril DGVoodoo2.54 gameplay handles the smacker animations and screens with ease and does not split the playing UI on screen--as does the much inferior MMtools for MM7 (exclusively.) All three games can now be run this way. It works very well in Win10x64, version 1709, build 17074; RX-480 8GB, btw. Just follow the instructions from Rodril and then Tomchen1989 and you are good to go!

Attachments

• MM6-HiResRodril&DGVoodoo2.jpg
    Filename
    MM6-HiResRodril&DGVoodoo2.jpg
    File size
    1.02 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    MM6 at 2560x1440 through the MM8 3d engine, accelerated by DGVoodoo2.54
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 3443 of 3949, by Armoreska

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

DGVoodoo 2.54 zip gives me a virus alert in Firefox

Anyway, I unpacked 2.52 (with the 2 folders) that I found on pcgamingwiki.com into my Rally Masters folder. Then I put the contents of 3Dfx folder into the main folder with dgVoodooSetup.exe, RallyMasters.exe, etc.
But when I run it still gives me error when selecting the car. Just to check if the wrapper works, I set Windowed in settings (conf appeared), but it's not running windowed.

Can there be a conflict with Zeus Glide? That's installed somewhere (where?)

Another thing, the game doesn't show the settings window anymore and I can't affect anything available there anymore. Uninstalling didn't help. No idea where it stores the graphics settings!

Actually there's no logo so none of the wrappers seem to work 🙁

Crap

Ok I found the settings in the load screen and disabled the final setting so the game works now. I wonder what do I need the wrapper for then...does the game even use this 3dfx

edit2: OK y'all a re right, I needed the contents of the MS folder.

Last edited by Armoreska on 2018-02-01, 13:27. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3445 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think he believes dgVoodoo2 is only a Glide wrapper.

Armoreska wrote:

Anyway, I unpacked 2.52 (with the 2 folders) that I found on pcgamingwiki.com into my Rally Masters folder. Then I put the contents of 3Dfx folder into the main folder with dgVoodooSetup.exe, RallyMasters.exe, etc.
But when I run it still gives me error when selecting the car.

That's because you didn't follow the instructions exactly:

PCGamingWiki wrote:
[…]
Show full quote
  1. Download dgVoodoo2
  2. Copy dgVoodooCpl.exe and the contents of the MS folder into the <path-to-game> folder
  3. Run dgVoodooCpl.exe, add new config to game folder, select DirectX, GeForce4 Ti 4800, 256MB VRAM, fast video memory access and uncheck dgVoodoo Watermark (optionally enable antialiasing and anisotropic filtering).
  4. Run the game

It doesn't say anything about the 3Dfx folder. You should have the contents of the MS folder in your game directory.

The contents of the 3dfx folder is for games that utilize 3dfx's Glide API, the contents of the MS folder is for games that use Microsoft's DirectDraw or Direct3D APIs.

Reply 3446 of 3949, by batterymandark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there , i do wonder if dgVoodoo in the future, could support OpenGlide/opengl32.dll for older games that for example using id tech3 , witch i think is OpenGL 1.2
The reason way i ask is many games doesn't scale up if i use hi resolution. and i know there is a opengl to directx out there but it is transforming it to DirectX9, witch dgvoodoo doesn't support.

Reply 3448 of 3949, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been trying dgVooodoo2 with Midnight GT - Primary Racer (which I use for my icon on most sites). I'm looking to start doing some YouTube videos of the hundreds of games I have, but would like to use the game as a mini intro to my channel, however the menu (which I use for my icon) only renders at 800x600 resolution!).

Not sure if it's relevant, but you need Win7 compatibility mode, or the game often hangs loading between menus.

However, it just crashes when loading, regardless of whether version 2.54 or WIP41.

I've attached two log files, one from the Saves/Launch folder (small) and one from the Saves/Log folder (huge).

Attachments

• Filename
    logs.zip
    File size
    13.45 KiB
    Downloads
    55 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 3450 of 3949, by stranno

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Any way to run Bug! (Direct3D4, i belive) through dgVoodoo? It throws me a resolution error. DisableDefaultResolutions does not seem to help there.

It can run native through resolution and color depth compatibility tweaks but it doesnt work with dgVoodoo.

Reply 3451 of 3949, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Cool, thanks Dege. Bug! I can run on my Win10 machine, not sure if I'm using dgVoodoo, will have to check later. I know Bug! Too was a lot more pain to get running satisfactorily.

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 3452 of 3949, by Sardoc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have the following light flickering bug in Tomb Raider 4: The Last Revelation, as well as The Times Level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4L_W7aXjvM

Haven't noticed said bug in any other TR game, just this one. No idea why this is happening.

Windows 7 x64, GF970, DgVoodoo 2.54. If there's any more information needed, do let me know.

Reply 3453 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
VirtuaIceMan wrote:

Cool, thanks Dege. Bug! I can run on my Win10 machine, not sure if I'm using dgVoodoo, will have to check later. I know Bug! Too was a lot more pain to get running satisfactorily.

Isn't Bug! the one that I found to be hopeless back when I fiddled with Bug Too? I must check it again.

Sardoc wrote:
I have the following light flickering bug in Tomb Raider 4: The Last Revelation, as well as The Times Level. […]
Show full quote

I have the following light flickering bug in Tomb Raider 4: The Last Revelation, as well as The Times Level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4L_W7aXjvM

Haven't noticed said bug in any other TR game, just this one. No idea why this is happening.

Windows 7 x64, GF970, DgVoodoo 2.54. If there's any more information needed, do let me know.

Thanks for the report! Do you have a savegame for the location?

Reply 3454 of 3949, by Sardoc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's not location specific. I only noticed it in locations with lots of torches, like Tomb of Semerkhet or this level (Underneath the Sphinx), or the DLC Times Exclusive level, but there could well be more.

Sure, I'll send a save.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/5wesmc

Reply 3456 of 3949, by Waltc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote:

Nice! 😎

One thing I don't understand though: why are they enabling mouse capturing? AFAIR it conflicts with mouselook mod.

Good question...! I had the same thought initially when running this setup...with DGVoodoo2.54, I'm actually using Mouselook with no problems but I'm using his "non-mouselook" config for DGV2.54...😉 I think the guy who did such a nice job posting the setup instructions maybe jumped to some conclusions about his own personal hardware/drivers that really probably don't apply or aren't needed with differing hardware--Mouselook works fine for me with my standard standard desktop resolution enumerated @ 2560x1440 @ 60Hz--so I did not have to use his approximation method in order to get Mouselook to function. Also, I'm running the games with Sergio's 2.xx patches--which may or may not have something to do with it. It works fine! It may even work fine with VSR resolutions above my native 2560x1440 (which I'm running at 8x EQ FSAA)--I'll have to try it without using FSAA as the end result graphically should be similar I would think. Still experimenting and playing around with these configs...!

I also use DGV2.54 in similar fashion with the original MM7/8 games, but the MM8-engine mod for all three games--especially MM6, originally 2d--works really well and provides a nice big viewport in comparison with that supported in the original game engines. Excellent use for DGV2.54, imo... 😀

Edit: Thanks for the suggestion, Dege..! Turned off mouse capture and indeed Mouselook still works fine but the overall functioning of the mouse in the games is much more consistent--occasionally, the cursor would disappear temporarily--no more!--Additionally, the VSRs work fine @ native res of 2560x1440--have run the game @ 3200x1800, 3840x2160--and even 5120x2880...works very well--Adrenalins 18.2.1, Radeon RX-480 8GB, Windows 10x64, version 1709, build 17083.1000.

Last edited by Waltc on 2018-02-06, 23:04. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3457 of 3949, by Waltc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Armoreska wrote:

DGVoodoo 2.54 zip gives me a virus alert in Firefox

I use Ff x64 DE, too, but remember that it's your running AV program giving you the false positive--not the browser. Also, do *not* run more than a single AV program at a time--more is not better in that case and two or more AV programs running simultaneously can easily trip over each other and cause all sorts of problems, not the least of which is false positives. My sincere advice is just ignore false positives completely *if* you know and trust the source of the executables you are downloading. Stuff from Dege is beyond reproach, imo--as are files downloaded directly from well-known developer-owned sites, etc. Sometimes--well, often, really--these false positives create far more trouble for the user than actual aid, imo. It's a pet peeve of mine--don't get me started on the all the *crap* being circulated about the "Spectre" and "Meltdown" vulnerabilities that no software has yet been able to exploit...! Grrrrr. Sorry--don't mean to vent like this, but panicking people with sensational names for mere complex and unexploited vulnerabilities is offensive to me ("Meltdown"--ha! What a name for non-existent malware that couldn't melt your box into slag even if it did actually exist in the public domain!) OK, I'll shut my trap, now... 😒

Reply 3459 of 3949, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Now that it matters since those who rant rarely see reason and this is the Internet but:

don't get me started on the all the *crap* being circulated about the "Spectre" and "Meltdown" vulnerabilities that no software has yet been able to exploit

https://www.zdnet.com/article/meltdown-spectr … d-by-attackers/

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline