VOGONS

First post, by Greenchili

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I know that 0.72 and 0.74 are older code bases. But I'm just trying to understand from a core point of view what may be the cause of an issue I've noticed with Humans 3. The game is set to use soundblaster 16, 220, 7, 1 and to play CD Audio because the CD contains CDDA.

In dosxbox 0.72 after you select "Start" to start a game. The CDDA music stops and there is a buzzing sound. The buzzing continues throughout the game. To me it almost sounds like the type of sound you'd get if the wrong CDDA track was selected, or wrong section of a CDDA track. However if I run the games INSTALL program and disable all sound the buzz does not occur (CDDA still plays). If I run INSTALL and change the sound card to GUS the buzz sound does not occur either (but no sound effects).

In dosxbox 0.74 the issue does not exist. Sound effects do play (opening scene with the club) with SB set as the sound card.

I've sludged through the SB code changes between 0.72 and 0.74 but non seem to resolve the issues. So I'm wondering if I'm looking in the wrong section of code. I'm just curious what may have changed in the core between 0.72 and 0.74 that fixed this problem.

Thanks

Reply 1 of 2, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I am not sure if the buzzing is the wrong CDDA track. Playing a data track (which dosbox doesn't allow in 0.74), sounds really awful. (high pitches and such, not buzzing, although it depends on the data....) You can check if a data track is (attempted) to be played by checking

CDROM_Interface_Image::PlayAudioSector

It might be something else though, as you said that it doesn't occur if there are no sound effects.
You could try different svn versions between 0.72 and 0.74 There are quite a few afterall.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 2, by Greenchili

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks... I've been able to determine that the problem does not exist in 0.73 as well... So that narrows it down some. I'm pretty sure it is not CDDA because if I do not mount the CD drive the problem still exists. I'm pretty sure that the CD code is not called when no disc (MSCDEX) is mounted.