VOGONS

Reply 363 of 894, by timitt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Got to love these projects. I don't have any intelligent mpu-401 cards, so I added myself to list.

I did not really understand what that count in google docs was (+24-3), but let's hope there's still room for that bigger batch.

Reply 367 of 894, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

GgOkuyGl.jpg

Here it is (my test card so no fancy rom label), the first small batch of the MPUs with their fixes -> these fixes offer soundblaster16-level wavetable header compatibility and some minor stability improvements just in case 😀
Needless to say the fixes will not be needed on the next batch since they will be incorporated to the pcb design.

- there are 3 pins removed from the wavetable header (one is not used the other 2 are the audio-inputs to the daughterboard - the mpu did not use these anyway) and some small patchwork on support logic:

NIpFDExl.jpg

- at the backside 3 passives are added: one resistor and 2 small capacitors

Zy2zM7zl.jpg

That's it! Wavetable header issues are resolved, external midi connection through DB9 is the same as before - no changes or additions done to that so expect the same level of compatibility like the original Music Quest PC-MIDI MPU 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 369 of 894, by fitzpatr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well done, Keropi! I've been very happy with my original model from you, and this one adds the perfect set of features.

I'm looking forward to getting one!

MT-32 Old, CM-32L, CM-500, SC-55mkII, SC-88Pro, SC-D70, FB-01, MU2000EX
K6-III+/450/GA-5AX/G400 Max/Voodoo2 SLI/CT1750/MPU-401AT/Audigy 2ZS
486 Build

Reply 370 of 894, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

thanks 😊
btw marmes deserves more credit for this than me 😎

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 371 of 894, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How much do I hope that one day someone (dreamblaster? 😁) produces a wavetable daughterboard with the same nice blue finish! It would make such a nice couple with this card and the SQ2500!

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 372 of 894, by dreamblaster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

wow, nice work !!

Visit http://www.serdashop.com for retro sound cards, video converters, ...
DreamBlaster X2, S2, S2P, HDD Clicker, ... many projects !
New X2GS SE & X16GS sound card : https://www.serdashop.com/X2GS-SE ,
Thanks for your support !

Reply 373 of 894, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just my 2 cents for the next batch:
1. Maybe an MPC header for the Stereo Out is worth installing - this way we could feed the stereo out into the mixing soundcard internally.
2. Maybe an input stereo jack wired to those 3 missing pins on the waveblaster header could be of some use too - many of us have NEC XR375, and this input jack would allow us to feed the stereo signal in an opposite direction: from the sound card into the daughterboard, going through its effect processor, and then coming out on the Stereo Out jack. As of now such thing is implemented in the Audiotrix 3D-XG card (bundled with the Yamaha DB60XG), but good luck finding one 😁

Last edited by hard1k on 2018-01-30, 19:12. Edited 1 time in total.

AWE64 Legacy

Reply 374 of 894, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

(and of course I will be the first in line for this MPU if made into an ARGUS daughterboard!..)

AWE64 Legacy

Reply 376 of 894, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
hard1k wrote:

Just my 2 cents for the next batch:
1. Maybe an MPC header for the Stereo Out is worth installing - this way we could feed the stereo out into the mixing soundcard internally.

I can see this being useful , ever since I moved to an external mixer I don't really think about soundcard connections because I was fed up with the different sound levels between midi and sfx 😵

hard1k wrote:

2. Maybe an input stereo jack wired to those 3 missing pins on the waveblaster header could be of some use too - many of us have NEC XR375, and this input jack would allow us to feed the stereo signal in an opposite direction: from the sound card into the daughterboard, going through its effect processor, and then coming out on the Stereo Out jack. As of now such thing is implemented in the Audiotrix 3D-XG card (bundled with the Yamaha DB60XG), but good luck finding one 😁

I once thought about that but what exactly would be the use? Because the MPU is no Audiotrix 3D-XG with dedicated drivers/design for that, I mean imagine there is a connector to feed your SB on the XR385, how exactly will you control the DSP to apply fx? Send a sysex? -> this will also go to any other synth connected and even if you can avoid that then imagine you run DOOM: everything is reset and the XR385 starts playing whatever midi stream DOOM sends over.
I just can't see how this can be used 😕 😕 😕

Reply 378 of 894, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:

I once thought about that but what exactly would be the use? Because the MPU is no Audiotrix 3D-XG with dedicated drivers/design for that, I mean imagine there is a connector to feed your SB on the XR385, how exactly will you control the DSP to apply fx? Send a sysex? -> this will also go to any other synth connected and even if you can avoid that then imagine you run DOOM: everything is reset and the XR385 starts playing whatever midi stream DOOM sends over.
I just can't see how this can be used 😕 😕 😕

Yeah, actually I agree. Should have thought about it a little bit longer 😀

AWE64 Legacy

Reply 379 of 894, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

@Cadderlik
I have a couple ready now, tomorrow I will have ~10 cards packed and ready to go Thursday morning

@hard1k
yeah it suxx ... more features = better but you can't always win...