VOGONS

First post, by telecommand

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

I've been using DiskWrite to write .img files to floppy disks, but it doesn't appear to do the reverse. Can you recommend a tool that does both, or at least just a tool to use to copy floppy disks to .img files?

I came across my first failing floppy disk in my games collection recently so I'd like to start backing everything up to avoid further data loss!

Cheers

Reply 4 of 14, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Using Win32 Disk Imager in Windows and dd in Linux. The latter is probably a default console command in OSX aswell. As always when working this kind of apps; be extremely careful with them, they can potentially overwrite your hdd if you get the paths wrong.

Reply 5 of 14, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bakemono wrote:

Winimage is good, but not free.

Actually, you can test the standard version as long as you want. It doesn't force you to register. Just like WinRAR and many other tools, which are not really free but can be used for an unlimited time.

I'm using the same copy of WinImage 8.50 since 2009, and apart from having to click on "OK" when the program opens, there are no restrictions.

Reply 6 of 14, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you'd rather stick to DOS, give EDICT a try. It's brand new. I was messing around with it the other day & it seemed to work well, but I haven't tested it super in-depth yet.

That said, I usually use dd under Linux or ddrescue for problematic disks. ddrescue is extremely powerful.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 8 of 14, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Microsoft made a floppy program that allows you to write diskette images to a floppy, or in reverse (floppy to image file) for MS-DOS. I have that program on my Windows 98SE machine at home when I have to re-write the MS-DOS installation diskettes if one has read errors.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 12 of 14, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

On an 8088 machine, I'm sometimes using Disk Copy Fast to write WinImage files to real floppies (360K).
Maybe it also works in reverse, not sure.

Shareware version available at ftp://ftp.sac.sk/pub/sac/utildisk/dcf53.zip

Otherwise, I'm using WinImage most of the time.
Before I knew of it, I used Floppy Image, a little Win32 utility.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//