VOGONS

Show me your HP!

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 70, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Vectras are lovely things, built well and have good expansion for their size. They are reliable too and easy to work with.

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 41 of 70, by tizzdizz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
EVERY SINGLE capacitor on the motherboard looked like these. Frankly I'm shocked it even powered on, let alone booted to the CMO […]
Show full quote

EVERY SINGLE capacitor on the motherboard looked like these. Frankly I'm shocked it even powered on, let alone booted to the CMOS setup in an intelegible way. They were even on the video card (which incidentally *was* dead, I swapped it out for testing above.)
So naturally I stripped it for parts. It yielded me some choice goods. The 2.8GHz Xeons are a great score for my currently-2.4GHz Asus PC-DL rig, those huge passive coolers will be a nice improvement and I think I can use the RAM in it too.
Here's everything that was left after all was said and done. (I also ended up tossing the dead HDD and one of the DVD drives which had a broken belt.) Note that I did save the video card after all; there aren't many caps to replace and they're easily accessible. A 512MB AGP card is rare enough that I'm willing to give a shot at getting it going again.

Sadly that cool dual-orientation case was in a really sorry state - filthy, with a lot of dented panels and broken plastic bits. It also weighed WAY more than it should have for its size - a good 10-12kg at least, which is about 8kg more than I felt like dealing with. It went back in the bin. Can't save everything, but at least some of this one will live on.

Too bad about the caps. I found the same thing on a recent acquisition. For a sec I thought you had posted a picture of my board! Looks like lots of great parts though. Question - if the case were a beige midtower, would you have held onto it?

Reply 42 of 70, by Scraphoarder

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not mine, but could have some if i want. HP Proliant workhorses stored at work. Almost all of them had been in service for over 10 years before they got retired.
Not pictured and in racks is a DL380 G3 that was shut down one week ago and two DL380 G4 still in service. Nothing critical running on them, but some legacy stuff we havent bothered to virtualize.

HP_ML370G2.jpg
Filename
HP_ML370G2.jpg
File size
460.22 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

One DL380 G5 with a pair of some Xeon 5xxx and three ML370 G7 with dual P3 1266 Tualatins.

HP_DL380G3-G4.jpg
Filename
HP_DL380G3-G4.jpg
File size
537.8 KiB
Views
File license

Five DL380 G3, four DL380 G4 all with dual netburst Xeons, one DL360 G2 with dual P3 1400 tualatins, one DL360 G3 and a HSV100 san Controller.

Reply 43 of 70, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Scraphoarder wrote:
Not mine, but could have some if i want. HP Proliant workhorses stored at work. Almost all of them had been in service for over […]
Show full quote

Not mine, but could have some if i want. HP Proliant workhorses stored at work. Almost all of them had been in service for over 10 years before they got retired.
Not pictured and in racks is a DL380 G3 that was shut down one week ago and two DL380 G4 still in service. Nothing critical running on them, but some legacy stuff we havent bothered to virtualize.

HP_ML370G2.jpg

One DL380 G5 with a pair of some Xeon 5xxx and three ML370 G7 with dual P3 1266 Tualatins.

HP_DL380G3-G4.jpg

Five DL380 G3, four DL380 G4 all with dual netburst Xeons, one DL360 G2 with dual P3 1400 tualatins, one DL360 G3 and a HSV100 san Controller.

FC-AL is dandy if you have the drives!

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 44 of 70, by trapflag

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I love HP Vectras - I had a thread about mine here: My HP Vectra VL5 / Pentium MMX

Hardware specs:

CPU: Pentium MMX at 200 MHz
Chipset: Intel 430 HX (Triton II)
Memory: 32 MB EDO RAM
L2 cache: 256 KB
HDD: Quantum Fireball, 2.5 GB, 5400 RPM
CD-ROM: HITACHI CDR-8335, 24x
Video: S3 Trio64 V2 DX/GX, 2 MB
Sound: HP MM Pro 16V-A PnP (seen as AZT1008 PnP Sound Device), based on the AZT2320 chip
Network: HP Ethernet 10/100 BaseT Network Board, based on the AMD PCnet-PCI-II 79C971 chip

Here's an oldish photo:
E5DcNCv.png

Reply 45 of 70, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

How is that keyboard? I ordered the same one NIB on ebay the other day for my Pavilion.

ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 46 of 70, by Scraphoarder

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gdjacobs wrote:

FC-AL is dandy if you have the drives!

We have 140 FC 15K 300GB drives and also many 146GB, 450GB and 500GB. 4 drive shelves from an EVA 3000 and 12 from two EVA 4100/6100. Also have all controllers, but a complete SAN use too much power nowadays and luns are limited to 2TB size. Could probably connect the shelves directly to a HBA and make a big JBOD or sw raid.
Did some benchmarks of our EVA 4100 before it was retired last week. This with a vraid5 vdisk that was most common to use. The server was old as mold too 😊

EVA4100benchmark_vraid5.JPG
Filename
EVA4100benchmark_vraid5.JPG
File size
239.85 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 47 of 70, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
tizzdizz wrote:

Question - if the case were a beige midtower, would you have held onto it?

Heh, nope - I have just about zero love for beige towers from the P3/P4 era. I actually like the black & silver case of the xw6000, it's sharp looking, relatively compact, and the rotating drive bays are really neat. But this one was trashed, I couldn't even get the side panel to fit on properly and it was missing pieces. Not worth my time to try & save.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 48 of 70, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Period correct keyboard!

Attachments

• Hl9lrEH.jpg
    Filename
    Hl9lrEH.jpg
    File size
    202.34 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • uzad1RZ.jpg
    Filename
    uzad1RZ.jpg
    File size
    149.54 KiB
    Views
    File license

ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 49 of 70, by DeafPK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My Vectra Piii 933 / 256 / VooDoo3 2000.

I have two identical machines like this. The one pictured here is modified to fit AGP video cards, but unfortunately the riser cable is way too unstable. Should buy another one. It runs like a charm when the VooDoo 3000 is plugged directly to the motherboard.

z72NRjo.jpg

CoaA6RB.jpg

The riser only had 3 PCI slots. I hacksawed one away ...

I702Jhh.jpg

The AGP riser cable

V45zMX0.jpg

lYZCO0H.jpg

The machine came with all its own drivers already! Yay!

"an occasional fart in their general direction would provide more than enough cooling" —PCBONEZ

Reply 51 of 70, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Unknown_K wrote:
Errius wrote:

Which HP Netserver do you have?

Netserver LC II

I have the FLORES motherboard for that in a box somewhere. I don't have the rest of it though.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 52 of 70, by harddrivespin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Am I the only one here who loves HP as a company? The fact their computers are reliable, + them keeping drivers on their website for 18 year old computers just makes them so much better than say Acer or Toshiba.

Reply 53 of 70, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Dell has drivers on their sites for older computers too. HP Part Surfer is a wonderful tool as well, gives you the part #s and specs of plenty of machines.

ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 54 of 70, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

HP is a billion dollar company that is still around so they keep old drivers around.

I like old HP machines because while they might not have been the fastest out they were built like tanks.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 55 of 70, by ScragglyPuff

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A pic of my HP. The HP 9000 712/60 "Gecko" PA-RISC Workstation (with an external 4X CD-ROM drive). At the time, these workstations were one of the few non-NeXT systems that can run NeXTSTEP. It's my favorite UNIX box that I own 😀

gecko.jpg
Filename
gecko.jpg
File size
2.08 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 56 of 70, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
oeuvre wrote:

Pretty sweet RISC box there! Welcome aboard.

Today I got this Pavilion in the mail and I tore it apart, cleaned it, reassembled and upgraded it. Runs very nicely. More pictures + info here https://imgur.com/a/fAnCF

Friend of mine had a 7370V from 1997, decent machine. Similar specs but it had a Pentium 200MMX and a Orchid Righteous 3D Voodoo graphics card from the factory.

Reply 57 of 70, by greasemonkey90s

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So i wonder if these hx boards can take a p233mmx for a slight upgrade plan to add a voodoo1 as well to my 7410p. Jumpers only go uoto 3x multi but have jumpers labled for rsvd hmm i wonder.

Reply 58 of 70, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

https://imgur.com/a/zNSbs

Mah systems retro, old, newer (Radical stuff)
W3680 4.5/ GA-x58 UD7/ R9 280x
K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM x2 P3 933/ GA-6VXD7/ Voodoo V 5.5K
Cmq P2 450/ GA-BX2000/ V2 SLI
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088