VOGONS

Rarest CPUs?

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 442, by thehinac

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Ozzuneoj wrote:
How rare would you guys say the original 1000Mhz Athlon that won the "Ghz race" back in 2000 would be? http://www.cpu-world.com/ […]
Show full quote

How rare would you guys say the original 1000Mhz Athlon that won the "Ghz race" back in 2000 would be? http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K7/AMD-Athlon%2 … MNR53B%20A.html

I recently got my hands on one in an Asus K7V KX133 board and it seems to work (bad PS/2 ports on the board but the rest is fine).

download/file.php?id=42286&mode=view

First one I've ever seen in my life.

One on ebay with motherboard for 153USD and I found one that sold cpu only for 100USD. So I guess it's worth something to the right person.

Reply 62 of 442, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SammyFox wrote:

I figure I missed a detail but why are nexgen CPUs sought after, other than rarity?

Nexgen turned into the K6 line (after AMD K5's failed). So if you collect AMD you probably want Nexgen as well.

I think Anything non Intel chip wise is collectable because they are all long gone, and Nexgen is the hardest to find (especially with their rare motherboards).

Did anybody bother to benchmark a working Nexgen setup to see how it compared to the rest?

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 63 of 442, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Unknown_K wrote:

Did anybody bother to benchmark a working Nexgen setup to see how it compared to the rest?

Here: http://retronn.de/imports/nexgen_nx586.html

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 64 of 442, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Too bad the PF didn't work in the VLB motherboard.
Sorry for derailing the thread, but two ideas come to my mind:
1. Would you like to update its BIOS to the latest known version - v06e033w? I'm attaching the needed package for your reference (however it doesn't mention the exact changes from the version you are using).
2. Do you have an ISA POST-card? It would be very interesting to see where the process halts.

Attachments

• Filename
    nx586vlb.rar
    File size
    391.76 KiB
    Downloads
    51 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 65 of 442, by thehinac

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
hard1k wrote:
Too bad the PF didn't work in the VLB motherboard. Sorry for derailing the thread, but two ideas come to my mind: 1. Would you l […]
Show full quote

Too bad the PF didn't work in the VLB motherboard.
Sorry for derailing the thread, but two ideas come to my mind:
1. Would you like to update its BIOS to the latest known version - v06e033w? I'm attaching the needed package for your reference (however it doesn't mention the exact changes from the version you are using).
2. Do you have an ISA POST-card? It would be very interesting to see where the process halts.

I have an ISA and a VL/EISA ide/floppy cards. I'll check the bios version I have, I updated one of the boards already I believe a few years ago. I'll check all 3 vlb boards. I'll find it and/or update and try again. probably by next weekends end.

Reply 68 of 442, by alvaro84

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Ozzuneoj wrote:

How rare would you guys say the original 1000Mhz Athlon that won the "Ghz race" back in 2000 would be? http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K7/AMD-Athlon%2 … MNR53B%20A.html

Probably not too rare because when I saw I almost shouted, "Finally, a CPU I have!" 🤣

Shame on us, doomed from the start
May God have mercy on our dirty little hearts

Reply 69 of 442, by Katmai500

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
alvaro84 wrote:
Ozzuneoj wrote:

Probably not too rare because when I saw I almost shouted, "Finally, a CPU I have!" 🤣

I've got one as well! A 1 GHz Slot A Orion manufactured in June of 2000. This would probably have been towards the end of Orion production, as the Thunderbird core launched that same month.

Attachments

• Athlon_1GHz.jpg
    Filename
    Athlon_1GHz.jpg
    File size
    95.11 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 70 of 442, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

8086-PGA 478

In that time period all high end processors are not easy to find.
1GHz Slot A Athlon
Slot 2 processors
Original Slot 1 Coppermine 1GHz (as it is easy to slap 370 on adapter and put it on slot 1, but is not original..)
K6-III+
High end IBM and CyriX processors

Mah systems retro, old, newer (Radical stuff)
W3680 4.5/ GA-x58 UD7/ R9 280x
K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM x2 P3 933/ GA-6VXD7/ Voodoo V 5.5K
Cmq P2 450/ GA-BX2000/ V2 SLI
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 72 of 442, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Depend, as if someone have millions of dollars/euros, he can get all he want no matter, what it is, like Voodoo 6000 or even 3Dfx Rampage /Specter but how many that guys are ?
So getting something rare/legendary and hard to find, with normal price tag is really, really hard. So if you don`t have millions to spend on rare and legendary hardware then most interesting parts will be rare and hard to get..

K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 73 of 442, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The Voodoo 6k and Rampage market closed up tightly when Trevormacro started buying cards for his torture lab.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 74 of 442, by Katmai500

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Radical Vision wrote:
8086-PGA 478 […]
Show full quote

8086-PGA 478

1GHz Slot A Athlon
Slot 2 processors
Original Slot 1 Coppermine 1GHz (as it is easy to slap 370 on adapter and put it on slot 1, but is not original..)
K6-III+

It's worth nothing that the 100 FSB version of the Slot 1 Coppermine 1 GHz is much more rare and expensive than the 133 FSB version. The SL4BS spec 133 FSB chips are pretty easy to find online for non-obscene prices. The same can't be said for the 100 FSB versions.

Reply 75 of 442, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Radical Vision wrote:
8086-PGA 478 […]
Show full quote

8086-PGA 478

1GHz Slot A Athlon
Slot 2 processors
K6-III+

AMD 5x86-133 is easy to find.
Pentium 233MHz MMX is common.
So are the K6+'s and Katmai 600MHz.
Coppermine 1000GHz (133MHz FSB) was very common!
Athlon Thunderbird 1400 (133MHz FSB) is pretty common I think.

So I think theres plenty opportunities for retro enthusiasts to max out certain types of hardware 😀

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 76 of 442, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Cyrix branded 6x86 P200+ (the original, not the L version) is supposedly pretty rare. There apparently are P200+ rated ST versions as well, and those are even more obscure. I don't even think they made it to retail. The IBM branded ones are somewhat common however.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 77 of 442, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The P200+ ran at 150 MHz. I don't think Cyrix had non-integer multipliers back then, so it would have run at 2x75 MHz. I'm kinda curious what is the ratio of socket 7 boards which would not run reliably with a 75 MHz FSB.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 78 of 442, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As i did state before if you have tons of money to spend then yes, nothing is impossible to get no matter how legendary or rare it is.
I don`t spend much, so for me most of the things are rare and hard to get.
For example ASUS P3B-F, at one moment there was like only one of that boards on ebay, even ABIT BE6 was only one or 2 of them and the price was insane, now there are some of the P3B-F there, but the price is wayy too much that i will want to pay.
Most here spend like 20-30$/ euro on a single part, while i will not pay 20$ for most parts, as i can find some things way cheaper and someone will have way better collection of things, that he did pay like 60$/euro for like 3 parts, while for that amount of money i will have like a box with 20 good parts inside but they will not be too exotic, or maybe 1-2 of them...

K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 79 of 442, by blurks

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:

The Voodoo 6k and Rampage market closed up tightly when Trevormacro started buying cards for his torture lab.

My blood starts to boil everytime I think about this asswipe... 😵