VOGONS

First post, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I went to have a look at a Facebook advert for a load of old PCs for £20, you know, a "help yourself to the old crap in our loft!" kind of advert! I came home with this:

EKPvT6Wh.jpg

Highlights of this lot for me are:

PaiGPxCh.jpg
Can anyone tell me how to get into the case!? I don't want to break it!

The world's dirtest imitation IBM keyboard (at least it is mechanical sounding!)
bhJHFHyh.jpg

This thing has a ever useful Slot 1 P3 500MHz, has a ZIP drive and has ISA slots...
Z3hMWkFh.jpg

This Motherboard has potential as it has ISA slots, and it turned out to be Slot A!
UeO4ZkNh.jpg

The two standard looking M-ATX cases had Pentium 4's GeForce MX's in them and were otherwise uninteresting...
The black, modern M-ATX case with a Pentium D is complete with the legendary, famous GT 210 😁
One big Dell has a Socket 370 P3 of some kind, the other is P4 which I haven't bothered opening yet.
I am also quite taken by the little Dell, which I've always loathed in the past (we used them at school and they were dreadfully slow), but I have a new appreciation of them what with this opening mechanism (and yes, I realise I am probably 10 years late to this party)
r0eWrf4h.jpg

A couple of questions...
Would you recommend against just firing up the CRT monitors? They are very dirty and mouldy.
Can I clean the mould with standard mould remover or would even a tiny bit falling into the monitor be a big problem!

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 1 of 13, by martin939

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Honestly? I'd throw the monitors in the garbage if they're mouldy. Really not worth the effort and the connections inside are probably rusty/corroded to hell anyway.

Also do check the power supplies in those PC's for leaky/bulging caps. That's the first thing I always check, don't want to have my room full of that awful electronics smoke 😒

Reply 2 of 13, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice haul, agree that the IBM is the hands-down winner, at least on looks & (nostalgic) value, although I loved those Siemens cases too.

As for mould - mould itself isn't a major problem, damp is. These things have been kept in a very humid environment. Once that is completely dried out you should be able to boot stuff up and see if works and/or is worth cleaning. As for cleaning, I'd be very careful with any chemicals around stuff like this. More likely than not cleaner would damage the screen coating (and I know IBM used some screens in the mid 1996 that were extremely vulnerable at the best of times), and it might impact the age-related yellowing. Nothing worse than a blotchy case.

I'd disassemble the monitor cases and consider washing 100% plastic parts in clean water or at most water with mild soap. Any other bits I'd rub with meths or something similar.

Reply 3 of 13, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the tips. Maybe I won't bother with the monitors - I'll give them a go in a week or so and if they're no good they can go to the recycling centre along with a few empty cases.

The Pentium 3 Dell has a 1000MHz 133FSB chip which is a nice surprise. It is a SL52R. Is this particularly interesting?

Reply 4 of 13, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are you sure about the ZIP drive being a ZIP drive?
The SL52R isn't anything remarkable, but it is a very useful CPU 😀
The Slot A board is very nice!

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 6 of 13, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh Ok... it has 8GB written on it, which sounds very very large for a zip drive actually! I have no idea what the tape streamer would be for - the guy was into music production I think, or would it be more for a back up?

The older Dell also has a 'zip drive':

cnAD4pCh.jpg

Is the second 5.25" slot on the left Dell a zip do you reckon?

Reply 7 of 13, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Almoststew1990 wrote:
Oh Ok... it has 8GB written on it, which sounds very very large for a zip drive actually! I have no idea what the tape streamer […]
Show full quote

Oh Ok... it has 8GB written on it, which sounds very very large for a zip drive actually! I have no idea what the tape streamer would be for - the guy was into music production I think, or would it be more for a back up?

The older Dell also has a 'zip drive':

<snip>

Is the second 5.25" slot on the left Dell a zip do you reckon?

That's a tapestreamer, you can Google 'Dell Travan' to see more pictures.

1982 to 2001

Reply 9 of 13, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A tape streamer is usually used for back-up to tape, for long-term storage of large amounts of data (e.g. professional audio files, but also and more often system backups). There are different types of tapes (for different types of tape drive), and they can get pretty expensive...

Reply 10 of 13, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've washed out the nice case and now it's ready to get the motherboard back in. I was a bit confused when the whole pack panel rotated out but now I really like the design!

CldMpX0l.jpg

On the plus side, when I was cleaning the Socket 370 motherboard, it turns out it has a 1133MHz P3-S SL5LV which I've never had before. On the other hand, the caps look like this:

xpU5iCXh.jpg

The board is a Gigabyte GA-6VTXE with a VIA 694T chipset, AGP and ISA slots. Should I just give it a go as it is? is it worth saving (not that I've ever replaced caps before)

Reply 11 of 13, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Almoststew1990 wrote:
https://i.imgur.com/PaiGPxCh.jpg Can anyone tell me how to get into the case!? I don't want to break it! […]
Show full quote

PaiGPxCh.jpg
Can anyone tell me how to get into the case!? I don't want to break it!

Type 1:
Unlock the keylock at the back and lift the holders on the top of the case and push forward and up.

Type 2:
At the back you have a keylock and above it is one screw. First check the keylock is unlocked then unscrew the screw. Then you just push the upper side to the front for a few centimeters and lift it.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 12 of 13, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Almoststew1990 wrote:
https://i.imgur.com/xpU5iCXh.jpg […]
Show full quote

xpU5iCXh.jpg

The board is a Gigabyte GA-6VTXE with a VIA 694T chipset, AGP and ISA slots. Should I just give it a go as it is? is it worth saving (not that I've ever replaced caps before)

Caps look pretty borked, highly desirable, checks off everything for a perfect fast 98 pc, isa, Tualiton support, agp. Keep it and recap it for sure! Or sell it off as-is to someone with the skills to do so 😀

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 13 of 13, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Almoststew1990 wrote:
I've washed out the nice case and now it's ready to get the motherboard back in. I was a bit confused when the whole pack panel […]
Show full quote

I've washed out the nice case and now it's ready to get the motherboard back in. I was a bit confused when the whole pack panel rotated out but now I really like the design!

CldMpX0l.jpg

On the plus side, when I was cleaning the Socket 370 motherboard, it turns out it has a 1133MHz P3-S SL5LV which I've never had before. On the other hand, the caps look like this:

xpU5iCXh.jpg

Cases with the quarterly rotated PSU were more tailored for Slot-based boards. Using a board with a socketed CPU (which is basically >95% of all boards, so to say) will present poor air clow as the PSU will probably try to suck air in the opposite direction as the CPU HSF.

The GA board looks like a keeper, even despite the busted caps 😀

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!