VOGONS

Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide

Topic actions

Reply 80 of 323, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ok, so finally got around to testing on my Tyan S1854.

I am using the modified for VIA chipsets SETUPDS.

Here is how to make it work.

1. Run "SETUPDS /s" from DOS. This will initialize the card so you can actually change stuff in the configuration.
2. Run "SETUPDS" from DOS. This will bring up the configuration/test part of the program.
3. Change the DMA mode from PC-PCI to D-DMA.
4. You can try testing the sound now. All modes should show up. When testing Sound Blaster 8-bit, it will most likely say it can't find DMA at 1. Change it to 0 and try again. It should work.
5. Save and exit. This will not update the SET BLASTER setting in Autoexec.bat. You will need to change "D1" to "D0" as well as any other settings you changed such as the I/O and IRQ.

I have had to do nothing else to make it work at least in the test portion of SETUPDS.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 81 of 323, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is AK4544A any good? Toshiba Tecra 8200 comes with YMF754-R and AK4544A. There is also this chip called ALPS 3DA3DT336B which i have no idea what it is.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 82 of 323, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Generally I like Asahi Kasai stuff, but the AK4544A doesn't appear to be very strong from a specifications point of view.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 83 of 323, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If i were to replace it with a greater quality one, are these things usually pin compatible?
For example, rip the STAC9708(11) from an SB Live and replace it with the toshiba one.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 84 of 323, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Stojke wrote:

If i were to replace it with a greater quality one, are these things usually pin compatible?
For example, rip the STAC9708(11) from an SB Live and replace it with the toshiba one.

The AC'97 bus is standardized as is the codec package, pinout, and certain performance requirements, but comparing the AKM with another stereo AC'97 codec (CS4205), it seems some pins can be used differently (GPIO for example). Beyond that, do check the application notes to make sure the requirements for output passives are the same for both chips.

Reply 86 of 323, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
amino glycine wrote:

So I just installed and registered Power YMF, but the 4MB extended bank option is greyed out. Do I need to download it from somewhere? I can't find it anywhere online...

Look here - I think this will get you going:
Yamaha S-YXG100plus SoftSynth for Win9x 4MB waveset working!!

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 87 of 323, by amino glycine

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote:
amino glycine wrote:

So I just installed and registered Power YMF, but the 4MB extended bank option is greyed out. Do I need to download it from somewhere? I can't find it anywhere online...

Look here - I think this will get you going:
Yamaha S-YXG100plus SoftSynth for Win9x 4MB waveset working!!

Thank you!

Reply 88 of 323, by amino glycine

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Also, should I be seeing the FM synth as a selectable midi device in Windows 98? The actual synth works fine in DOS games but I'm just curious as to why I only see DS-XG and the MPU401 as midi devices in the Control Panel...

Reply 89 of 323, by Stretch

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
amino glycine wrote:

Also, should I be seeing the FM synth as a selectable midi device in Windows 98? The actual synth works fine in DOS games but I'm just curious as to why I only see DS-XG and the MPU401 as midi devices in the Control Panel...

You can enable the FM Synth with YMF7x4Utilities, but then you will not be able to use the synth in DOS games in Win98's command.com.

Win 11 - Intel i7-1360p - 32 GB - Intel Iris Xe - Sound BlasterX G5

Reply 90 of 323, by amino glycine

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Stretch wrote:
amino glycine wrote:

You can enable the FM Synth with YMF7x4Utilities, but then you will not be able to use the synth in DOS games in Win98's command.com.

Good to know. I won't do that then.

This AOpen AW744 card sounds amazing btw. The genuine OPL3 really takes me back.

Reply 93 of 323, by squiggly

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ZanQuance wrote:

There is no need to speculate as I have the original Aureal documentation on hand and have been using it extensively to write new drivers for the cards. I have a very good understanding of the chips now (I'm saving most the information for the new Website launch).

Who are you people?

Reply 94 of 323, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
greasemonkey90s wrote:

So is this a bastard card?

It is a Labway made card, and most definitely not a Yamaha made thing. I am not seeing a chip package with such features in any of the Yamaha datashits, closest would be something with 0.5mm pin pitch but that chip has 0.63 and all the markings are off too (no logo, no YM or YMF number)

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 95 of 323, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
squiggly wrote:
ZanQuance wrote:

There is no need to speculate as I have the original Aureal documentation on hand and have been using it extensively to write new drivers for the cards. I have a very good understanding of the chips now (I'm saving most the information for the new Website launch).

Who are you people?

He's epic, is what he is. 😀
ASP403 - The Neverending Project
Aureal Website (WIP)

Just to name a few. 😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 96 of 323, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello,
im trying to make working AOPEN AW744L II Yamaha XG under real Dos 7.1 and modern Gigabyte Z97 board with PCI slots, i disable all what i could to make Dos a bit more compatible in Bios, im able to make run Win98 and XP with this board, so i why dont try also pure Dos.

a) I have tried original Yamaha vogons Y744 driver, results it was:
- music in games is working well - Doom2, Blood etc..
- sound is not working in games, setups cant find sound chip / DMA
- setup utility is able to play sounds (Native 16 bit and FM sound ), but D-DMA has not assign value
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pzw0knli70hejdw/Ori … tility.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/whneq6dxoqpp4lk/Ori … tSound.jpg?dl=0

Driver loader shows DMA - Disable, here is picture form boot:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/oe857sjljfxm2c6/Ori … Loader.jpg?dl=0

b) I tried modified driver from this post - Re: Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide
- DMA is still not working and IRQ value is strange - 127:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gbxg57q8nz3b5mp/Mod … Driver.jpg?dl=0
- and difference is also, that my one sound test in setup utility is available and i got IRQ error when i select Sound test menu:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pklu07jr4bmxbnp/Mod … QError.jpg?dl=0`
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z62ub5tknj3knd5/Mod … ndTest.jpg?dl=0

c) I also tried alternative driver form this post: Re: Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide - http://vsynchmame.mameworld.info/
Here is DMA channel listed in driver load ouput, but once again only music working, FX dont - DMA channel problem.
ymfirq 5 edge not working for me, output is:
YMF744 found
error

- SetupDs.exe - same IRQ error when i try sound test mane as modified driver, only 16bit native test is not available..
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ifn206oth7nlz67/Alt … Loader.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/214mq67oza751iu/Alt … ndTest.jpg?dl=0

Autoexec for original a modified driver:
@REM SB Type definition
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T4 P330
@REM Directory with this file should be in PATHS
C:\Drivers\Yamaha\SETUPDS.EXE /s

Autoexec for Alternative driver:
C:\Drivers\Yamaha\SETUPDS.EXE /s
C:\Drivers\Yamaha\ymfirq 5 edge
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T4 P330

I have tried EMS / NOEMS / Realmode mode (XMS only) boot setting, it seems to be same.

Question:
1) Does results means that this sound card and MB combination is dead end for pure Dos, or its something else to try?
2) In description is that card is AC97 compatible isnt there any universal or compabilite AC97 driver for Win 7/8/10 64bit?
3) TSR -i read guide, but i dont understand what TSR exactly is, its some external utility which i have to download and load in config files? Or its part of drivers?

Last edited by ruthan on 2018-07-21, 07:14. Edited 4 times in total.

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 97 of 323, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The Z97 doesn't have DDMA functionality or a PC/PCI header, so you'll need to use DSDMA to have any hope of DOS compatibility.

Reply 98 of 323, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:

The Z97 doesn't have DDMA functionality or a PC/PCI header, so you'll need to use DSDMA to have any hope of DOS compatibility.

Ok how to do / try it exactly?

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.