VOGONS

Reply 100 of 296, by TheCoach

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

AAAND it's random. Right now I'm at a point that synth will die at random and then I have to add a lan card, install drivers in windows, reboot, then remove the lan card and sound will work for a while until it dies again...

I really don't know if I should bother doing anything DOS related on that machine it's just so weird and random with these things...

The soundcard is fine it's just the machine I have that really has weird issues with dos and music.

Reply 101 of 296, by JSO

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've just installed the ES1868F to my newbuild socket 7 system. It's a triangular shape.

The system is the following, Asus P5S-VM (flashed with custom bios of P5-99VM because it was HP branded), Pentium MMX 233 MHz, 32 MB SDRAM PC100, S3 Virge DX 4MB. I've also installed ES1370 but I'm not loading the driver, I didn't want to leave it to the 440Bx which Ι withdrawing.

I think it sounds better than the ES1370 PCI and I tested many games. Also I can hear CD sound without connecting the DVD-RW to the onboard controller of the sound card. Just entering setvol and incresed the cd volume, I have to do this all the time and not to modify the autoexec.bat. Also the card works with Windows 3.11 for Workgroups without issues. I'm using Dos 7.10.

Some games as FIFA recognized the card as SB 16.

Also not a single divide overflow that I was experiencing with the Celeron 400 and the 440Bx and of course I can make the MMx to run at 100 MHz. Also my K6-2 450 MHz can run at 100 MHz on this board.

Only issue that the SiS 530 is a little bit slower than the 440Bx on copying files. Also setting the Virq and the Ven_Dis to disable onboard vga is disabled and not shown and the Windows 95 device manager.

DOS IS THE POWER OF OUR CHILDHOOD MEMORIES!

Reply 102 of 296, by Gahhhrrrlic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I thought it would be wise to continue this thread. In the repository, there are working drivers for both DOS and 3.1 but no applications for the Win3.1 program group. I remember a half dozen programs that came with the card, like a mixer program and a cd player. Does anywhere know where to find the Win3.1 software pack for this card? Thanks.

https://hubpages.com/technology/How-to-Maximi … -Retro-Computer

Reply 104 of 296, by Gahhhrrrlic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
derSammler wrote:

Only a mixer comes with it. Since this chip was used by OEMs, additional applications were bundled with cards from various brands. The vanilla drivers won't provide these.

Damn... ok so in that case, are you aware of a sort of vanilla set of utilities that would pair well with this card? Something I can create an audio program group with?

Also, when you say a mixer comes with it, are you referring to the parameters in the autoexec that controls the volume levels of everything or did I miss installing something? I see no icons generated in win3.1.

Reply 105 of 296, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just get a branded driver, e.g. from Diamond or Terratec.

I meant a real mixer in form of a Windows application. Can't remember where it appears after installation, but it is included for sure.

Reply 107 of 296, by Gahhhrrrlic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
derSammler wrote:

http://terratec.ultron.info/Audio/Gold/1696/

Applications/Gold1696_S3x.exe is what you are looking for.

AudioRack!!!

THAT is what I had on my machine back in the old days. I couldn't remember what it was called but that's it. It was pretty useful I seem to recall. Thanks man! After all this toil, I'm going to end up being the expert on these cards. I've pretty much had to re-live every problem anyone has ever had with them, with the help of people here of course. I just bought an S1 for it too. I thought I could live with the sound before but I can't. I sucks hard so 4MB of soundfont is more than enough for me.

The only problem I have left is that doom crashes on load from Windows (not DOS). I feel like this has something to do with the mysterious "Wave 2 DMA Channel" that was part of the setup. I'll see if I can work out that kink, otherwise I'll just enjoy it in DOS. It is actually barely playable on my 33 DX system when the window sized has been reduced by about 65% or so (not the smallest you can go) and low detail. Once I replace my crystal and get 40 MHz I might be able to up that to high detail.

Reply 108 of 296, by greasemonkey90s

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So from my understanding is although maybe not perfect but both the 1868f and 1869f are decent?.

Last edited by greasemonkey90s on 2018-02-04, 05:49. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 110 of 296, by JSO

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

They 're many drivers versions you can find for DOS and Windows 3.x.

I also installed an ES688F to my AM386DX40 build, and it's working perfectly.

Reply 111 of 296, by tpowell.ca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
JSO wrote:

They 're many drivers versions you can find for DOS and Windows 3.x.

I also installed an ES688F to my AM386DX40 build, and it's working perfectly.

This ES688F, was it of the jumpered type or the Pnp-like jumperless version?

Mine is jumperless, and I'm having a bi#$@ of a time getting the drivers to work properly.
The mixer doesn't work since it needs the driver loaded in config.sys, but that fails, complaining it cannot find the card.
The ESCFG tool works fine though using interactive mode, but using the DOS switches causes it to lock.

• Merlin: MS-4144, AMD5x86-160 32MB, 16GB CF, ZIP100, Orpheus, GUS, S3 VirgeGX 2MB
    Tesla: GA-6BXC, VIA C3 Ezra-T, 256MB, 120GB SATA, YMF744, GUSpnp, Quadro2
    Newton: K6XV3+/66, AMD K6-III+500, 256MB, 32GB SSD, AWE32, Voodoo3

Reply 112 of 296, by JSO

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My 688F is on the attached photo and has many jumpers! And CD-ROM works perfectly on the 386 build!

My 1868F also has some jumpers.

It's the same with the picture, but absolutely brilliant sound comparing to the SB 64 PCI (ES1370) I previously owned!

highscreen_sound_boostar_ess_es1868f-600x450.jpg

Attachments

• soundcard.jpg
    Filename
    soundcard.jpg
    File size
    478.05 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 113 of 296, by tpowell.ca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
JSO wrote:

My 688F is on the attached photo and has many jumpers!

Damn you Compaq!!

They must have their own version of software to drive this card...which I don't have. 😢

Are you using the same drivers as the ones posted here on Vogons?
http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?file … 372&menustate=0

• Merlin: MS-4144, AMD5x86-160 32MB, 16GB CF, ZIP100, Orpheus, GUS, S3 VirgeGX 2MB
    Tesla: GA-6BXC, VIA C3 Ezra-T, 256MB, 120GB SATA, YMF744, GUSpnp, Quadro2
    Newton: K6XV3+/66, AMD K6-III+500, 256MB, 32GB SSD, AWE32, Voodoo3

Reply 114 of 296, by JSO

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't remember which drivers I use, I will tell you tomorrow when I will boot up the 386.

I also found some drivers here, http://www.soundcard-drivers.com/

You can use the vogons drivers you mentioned.

Reply 115 of 296, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
JSO wrote:

My 688F is on the attached photo and has many jumpers! And CD-ROM works perfectly on the 386 build!

That LS-212 chip sure looks a lot like a YMF262. 😀

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 118 of 296, by etherlore

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a es1868f in the 6.22 486 dx2 66 I'm building. It works fine in most cases, but I'm having an issue with terrible loud glitchy noise in a few games. For instance x-com/ufo and psycho pinball are unplayable because of this. I made a short video showing this in action:

https://youtu.be/ZXm16L6y0Vw

I have tried both the drivers on this site, as well from Phil's computer lab. Changing irq, interrupt and isa slots have no affect. Anyone know what could be going on?

Uploading pic of card for reference. There are some jumpers on the card that I haven't touched, no idea what they are for.

Attachments

• IMG_1465.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_1465.jpg
    File size
    955.35 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Pic of card
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception