Common searches

List the PC games that you have beaten

Topic actions

Reply 560 of 772, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The doors actually sound like doors in the MT-32 sound setting... That's just the start of it.

But yeah the game sends a SysEx with a bunch of custom patches for SFX usage.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 561 of 772, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@clueless1
Keep it up! I’m enjoying living vicariously through your gaming adventures (I rarely finish any games)

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 562 of 772, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just finished Eschalon: Book 1. Very impressive RPG. I highly recommend it to fellow adults without a ton of time, as it can be completed in about 30 hours or less, yet gives you that warm, fuzzy RPG experience from yesteryear.

eschalon_end_1.png
Filename
eschalon_end_1.png
File size
757.5 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
eschalon_end_2.png
Filename
eschalon_end_2.png
File size
875.6 KiB
Views
File license

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 563 of 772, by Tiger433

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Half-Life, and I played it under Manjaro Linux 😀 I tried that game years ago but in that time I had problems with last boss, but today I defeated him 😀

W7 "retro" PC: ASUS P8H77-V, Intel i3 3240, 8 GB DDR3 1333, HD6850, 2 x 500 GB HDD
Retro 98SE PC: MSI MS-6511, AMD Athlon XP 2000+, 512 MB RAM, ATI Rage 128, 80GB HDD
My Youtube channel

Reply 564 of 772, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Resident Evil 7
Finished in about 12hrs including all the DLC except the non story based DLC

Worth playing but definetly wait for a discount.
No issues with performance, bugs or crashes.

I don't play many console games so having to deal with console bullshit was annoying. Limited save slots (not a big deal in this case), scenarios designed to get you to repeat since there's no way you'd know what to do the first time, boss fights you need to repeat over and over, etc.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 565 of 772, by ynari

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ultima Underworld is written for the CM32L/LAPC-I, not the MT-32. It uses the 32 samples included in the CM32L, notably including the water splashing sound.

I really must get around to finishing it..

Reply 566 of 772, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just finished Crusader: No Remorse. It took a little over 30 days (I was also playing two other games during this time). This was a game I bought when it came out, but never finished. In trying to remember why, it was probably due to Toomanygamesitis, where one buys more games than they have time to play. Rather than completing any one game, said individual plays each game for about a week or two, then moves on to the next shiny new one.

Anyhow, I did it justice this time and my opinion of the game has jumped a bunch. Great combination of action, story, cheesy cutscenes with mostly bad acting, and skill levels. Weekend Warrior is perfect for me. Obligatory endgame photo (I was playing in a dark room and my phone did a poor job of focusing):

crusader.jpg
Filename
crusader.jpg
File size
1.93 MiB
Views
File license

Just started playing No Regret. I love the little enhancements they've made to the UI and the game still runs like a dream on my P200MMX.

Reply 567 of 772, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Quake II

quake2.png
Filename
quake2.png
File size
1.86 MiB
Views
File license

This is a game I never beat when it came out, so it made this time extra sweet. Surprisingly good game. The main criticism I have is the complex level design that makes it very confusing to navigate and easy to get lost. There's also lots of backtracking. I.e, go through 3 levels to find a key, then go back 3 levels to use it. Accomplish two other tasks in those 3 levels before being able to finish that section and move on to the next. There were a couple of times I cleared out all the enemies but couldn't remember how to get back to the exit, so spent lots of time wandering around looking for the exit.

I beat this on an HP Vectra VL with a P2-400, Voodoo2 SLI, 128MB RAM on Win98SE.

Reply 568 of 772, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You're a game beating machine, well done. I'll have to fire up Q2 again and see what all of the fuss is about 😀

Reply 569 of 772, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
badmojo wrote:

You're a game beating machine, well done. I'll have to fire up Q2 again and see what all of the fuss is about 😀

Just having fun at about an average of an hour a day. 😀 It's slow-going, but steady entertainment. I happened to be playing 3 games at the same time the past couple of months and Quake II was the last of those 3 I finished in a short span of time. Now I'm without a game and trying to decide which one to hop into next! Some that I'm considering:
Lords of Xulima
Baldur's Gate II Enhanced (I've completed BG1)
Icewind Dale Enhanced
Dark Sun: Shattered Lands
Ravenloft: Strahd's Possession

And I've found I like to play an FPS during an RPG so when I need a content break, I can switch to it. For the next FPS, it's between
Unreal Gold
Half-Life
Crisis
F.E.A.R

I'm open to any and all suggestions!

Reply 570 of 772, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Half Life is amazing - dated a bit graphically but excellent story and gameplay. F.E.A.R is a classic shooter, super tight mechanics and clever enemy A.I. Its what DOOM3 should have been IMO.

Reply 571 of 772, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The only real problem of Half-Life is that it'll spoil the feel of every other single-player FPS in the following year.

Also I never liked Unreal Gold's gratuitous Uwindow menus and the patch cruft (no more dispersion trails, the sonic mayhem sounds etc)...

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 572 of 772, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@leileilol
I was intending on playing HL on the P2-400 with V2 SLI and regular SB16. Do you think the EAX implementation is good enough that I should instead play it on my P3/GF3 system, which has an Audigy? Are there any modern hi-res packs for the game that would make it worth playing on a modern system instead?

Reply 573 of 772, by vladstamate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
clueless1 wrote:

Just finished Crusader: No Remorse. It took a little over 30 days (I was also playing two other games during this time). This was a game I bought when it came out, but never finished. In trying to remember why, it was probably due to Toomanygamesitis, where one buys more games than they have time to play. Rather than completing any one game, said individual plays each game for about a week or two, then moves on to the next shiny new one.

Anyhow, I did it justice this time and my opinion of the game has jumped a bunch. Great combination of action, story, cheesy cutscenes with mostly bad acting, and skill levels. Weekend Warrior is perfect for me.
Just started playing No Regret. I love the little enhancements they've made to the UI and the game still runs like a dream on my P200MMX.

Ok, I don't understand this game. I own the original game, so I put in my 486DX2 66Mhz. The music is good, I must admit. However I just cannot get how to play it. Do you control with the mouse? With the keys? You shoot...what exactly? Sometimes randomly it targets enemies or monitors..sometimes it just wildly moves around. It took me 1 minute and multiple tries to go through the first door. The character wildly kept moving around and not facing the damn door. Then..I die. I like the premise, I think the game, the music, the graphics and I honestly think the game has potential. But the controls? Oh My God! Maybe playing it on mid-range 486 is at fault here?

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7HbC_nq8t1S9l7qGYL0mTA
Collection: http://www.digiloguemuseum.com/index.html
Emulator: https://sites.google.com/site/capex86/
Raytracer: https://sites.google.com/site/opaqueraytracer/

Reply 574 of 772, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@vladstamate

Hit F1 I think to see all the controls. I did not use the mouse at all. Keyboard movement. Using the up/down arrows to walk and left-right arrows to turn, this will fine-tune your aim and when you see a target appear over the enemy, you know you're aiming in the right direction. Use the CTRL key + left/right arrows to roll left/right. It's a good way of quickly evading enemy fire and puts you in a position to be more accurate with your shots. As for what to shoot: everything and everyone. 😀 There are no good guys to worry about not shooting. Even the unarmed helpers will give you credits if you kill them which you can use to buy stuff between levels. Shooting boxes, crates, etc will often explode things, revealing secret switches that were behind them that will get you into rooms. The big oscillating fans will blow you off of things, which is annoying, so shoot them to destroy them. I've not tried the game on a 486, so not sure if that is at all effecting your experience.

One thing to remember, the up arrow walks you in the direction you are facing *no matter which direction you're facing*. That was hard for me to get used to at first.

Reply 577 of 772, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Bayonetta

14:51:20 on normal

Good game but if you only play it once then you're going to feel like the crappiest gamer ever....for every minute of the entire game.
Mostly got stone awards and didn't really have as many combos remembered as I'd like to.
Don't think I got witch time timing down as much as I'd like.
Got all the extra moves bought except for one, nothing else bought except items.

I don't replay games except for 5 to 10yrs down the road (and this game is meant to be replayed) so mabye when I replay then it won't be so bad assuming nothing happens to the saved game.

Only technical issue I had with the game was that I had to set vsync to Fast in the Nvidia control panel and enable the vsync in the game otherwise horrible tearing.

Reply 578 of 772, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Subnautica
Played for 60hrs on survival

Excellent game.

I don't play survival games since I need a story but this one had just enough to keep me playing.
Survival aspects are annoying but easily remedied.
Didn't do much base building since I consider it a waste of time so I usually built what I needed: A room for lockers, room for equipment, scanner room, moon bay and a place for fish.

For the other bases I'd usually just do a room for equipment and lockers.

Reply 579 of 772, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Vyothric wrote:

Knight Force - In the unlikely event that anyone plans on playing this I wrote some (hopefully) useful notes here

Believe me, I tried every single way to save the princess but that b*tch doesn't appear when I kill all 5 red sabbath, so the time finishes and I die. Do you use real dos environment?

"Gamer & collector for passion, I firmly believe in the preservation and the diffusion of old/rare software, against all personal egoisms"