VOGONS

Best Socket A (462) Motherboard?

Topic actions

Reply 180 of 223, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Suuuure this is why on my ABIT BE6-II all caps was ok, the board was 100% stable with 1GHz coppermine, im sure even Tualatin 1.4GHz will be ok on that board..
I have also many others boards that they did not have blown bad brand capacitors.....
So how the f**k then if many bad/trash/junk/garbage capacitor brands can live so long, as they are all proven to be total trash, and you say the japan capacitors will fail how will that happen ?
They all have some life that will end in some time, all of them, just seems you forget the fact that the japan caps will last million times more then the trash china capacitors............................
From all the hardware i did have in my hands, i did see i did NEVER ever found blown rubicon, sanyo/nippon, panasonic capacitors so you can talk all you want..
It is your thing trow money on the fire with buying brand new expensive japan caps, meanwhile i will buy new Hitano and use japan caps from other hardware, and they will be more then fine, im sure they will not blow in MY lifetime (or at least most of them will not..)..........

Mah systems retro, old, newer (Radical stuff)
W3680 4.5/ GA-x58 UD7/ R9 280x
K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM x2 P3 933/ GA-6VXD7/ Voodoo V 5.5K
Cmq P2 450/ GA-BX2000/ V2 SLI
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 181 of 223, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Radical Vision wrote:

So how the f**k then if many bad/trash/junk/garbage capacitor brands can live so long, as they are all proven to be total trash, and you say the japan capacitors will fail how will that happen ?

Off brand caps aren't always complete trash and not all caps operate in particularly challenging circumstances. Mid tier Taiwanese caps that receive good cooling and are not subjected to high ripple can deliver long term service without issue, although the worst brands are unreliable in all circumstances. Conversely, caps that must withstand high ripple with insufficient airflow can be subject to failure even when they're known good series from reliable manufacturers.

As you presumably don't know where and how these caps were used, they present something of an unknown quantity when used as replacements. You can't depend on their performance as specified in the corresponding datasheet.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 182 of 223, by Jupiter-18

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, this has turned into a much larger debate than i expected. I can't even remember how we got on this subject to be frank.
Anyhow, I still am curious as to the general feeling on PCI-X, as per my last response in this thread.

Reply 183 of 223, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jupiter-18 wrote:

Well, this has turned into a much larger debate than i expected. I can't even remember how we got on this subject to be frank.
Anyhow, I still am curious as to the general feeling on PCI-X, as per my last response in this thread.

I know it is 64bit so it is really awesome for sata raid cards in pci that can run as 64bit for highspeed RAID and hard drive speeds. Basically 32bit pci is pretty bad for bandwidth and ide is very limiting, so you can really get some awesome speed if used with SSD's. At least that is how I see it. Otherwise SCSI RAID with highend cahce cards, networking cards, ect.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 185 of 223, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jupiter-18 wrote:

That was my thought, however as i mentioned I did find a few 3D rendering cards as well. Any knowledge about those?

Mostly workstation usage, like Wildcat cards and such suited for CAD usage and such. The Matrox Parphelia is a rare, flawed and at the same time great example of a pcix 3d card for gaming and such.

Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 187 of 223, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry for the necropost.
I want to get 2 socket a systems, so I decided to go with:
1) KT3 Ultra2, because it's the last system compatible with 3dfx cards, it uses kt333 chipset, unlucky no 4pin connector.
2) A mb with kt880, it's overall better than nforce2, faster and more compatible, but it seems there is no perfect mb. Asus a7v880 it's very good, 4ddr slot, it has fixes but lacks the 4pin connector, so I decided to buy a Gigabyte ga-7vt880-l, because seemd like the asus but with 4 pin connector. Too bad I just found it doesn't support the pci and agp fix, so this kill any overclocking chance. Now I can get for a good price a Epox EP-8VTAI, it has pci\agp fix, it's very overclocking friendly and so on, but just 2 ddr memory slot. Why there is no perfect kt880 mb? :\

Is there any way to enable the fixes on the gigabyte? I already tried to update to the lastest bios, I pressed ctrl+f1 inside the bios but without any result.

Reply 188 of 223, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nemo1985 wrote:

Sorry for the necropost.
I want to get 2 socket a systems, so I decided to go with:
1) KT3 Ultra2, because it's the last system compatible with 3dfx cards, it uses kt333 chipset, unlucky no 4pin connector.

My first AMD system was an AthlonXP 1800+ with an MSI KT3 Ultra (1) and I loved that board.

I hope to find one again some day. A lot of KT4s around, but KT333 Ultra is a bit elusive where I live.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 189 of 223, by undeon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone...

I want to build a Socket A system with a Abit AN7, 3200+, 3GB DDR400, Radeon HD4670 AGP, Audigy X-Fi and a WiFi card. I was planning to use a Corsair CX450 PSU (20A on the 5V and 37,4A on a single-rail 12V). That PSU is enough for my system?

Reply 191 of 223, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well... Since this tread has been revived, I need to give feedback on my SocketA board. It is not the fastest SocketA board at all, yet it has a lot of features and is really stable. It is the Asus A7V266-E. I can only say, that it is freaking awesomme for a Win98 system/setup. Raid, Universal AGP. If anyone need a board for a Win98 setup, then it is a good board. Much faster than Slot1 systems that are usually wanted for Win98. And you really do not need more power than this, unless you want a WinXP system. Of course there are some who still want the fastest possible. And this board is not for them.

https://www.cnet.com/products/asus-a7v266-e-m … a-series/specs/

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 193 of 223, by SETBLASTER

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i like the universal agp ones

the newer ones...for example a7n8x-e deluxe come with a agp pro socket that is a pain in the ass with its red light
i cant even use many universal agp cards because of that, and works with agp8x cards most of the time.

Reply 194 of 223, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
undeon wrote:
appiah4 wrote:

20A 5V won't cut it.

Sorry, I dont get it... My english isnt the best. =\

20 Amps on the 5 volt rail will not be enougj. You need more around 30, 35 would be better. Luckily your video card will pull almost all it's power from the 12v rail.

Reply 195 of 223, by alvaro84

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote:

20A 5V won't cut it.

Wait. The AN7 does have an ATX12V connector. It must diminish the need of a beefy 5V PSU.

Shame on us, doomed from the start
May God have mercy on our dirty little hearts

Reply 197 of 223, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
alvaro84 wrote:
appiah4 wrote:

20A 5V won't cut it.

Wait. The AN7 does have an ATX12V connector. It must diminish the need of a beefy 5V PSU.

Yes, this means the CPU uses 12V for it's VRM, so you do not need a PSU with an oversized 5V rail for these motherboards.

Reply 198 of 223, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
undeon wrote:

My friend gave me an Athlon 64 3000+ PC and it has with a 450W PSU.... The 5V rail has 45A. 🤣

Lucky hehehehe

Make sure that you check the actual model and quality of the PSU. Lots of fake "450" watt PSU's claimed to have absurd 5v ratings to make up for a weak 12v rail.

Reply 199 of 223, by undeon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
canthearu wrote:

Yes, this means the CPU uses 12V for it's VRM, so you do not need a PSU with an oversized 5V rail for these motherboards.

So it's safe to choose a modern PSU then?

ODwilly wrote:

Make sure that you check the actual model and quality of the PSU. Lots of fake "450" watt PSU's claimed to have absurd 5v ratings to make up for a weak 12v rail.

I'll not use it... After a few research I found out that this PSU is a BSU (Bullshit Supply Unit)