VOGONS

VIA C3 Nehemiah vs. Coppermine(-128) and Tualatin

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 71, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Off /Off / On / Off on the FSB block. I actually didn't test 112Mhz.

I did try removing both sound cards and booting up with the mimimum ... the IDE/SD adapter, graphics card and RAM. I'm using just 1 stick of 128MB PC133.

Reply 61 of 71, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Update -- 112Mhz works okay... but 133Mhz is a no go for the 6BXC. I actually have a second rev 2.0 board I picked up not long ago that I tested and it has the exact same deal -- 122x10.5 runs... 133x10.5 will freeze up.

It is interesting what the seller is suggesting. Would be nice to have all the details of his modification, but I understand if he wants to keep some tricks to himself.

Only other things mentioned was ...

And please let me know you can solder 1608 SMD parts. There is some modification for MS6905 for old M/B. […]
Show full quote

And please let me know you can solder 1608 SMD parts.
There is some modification for MS6905 for old M/B.

And I have used a GA-6BXC for couple of years at about 1999 years.
It was long time ago. so I can not remember details,
But, I remember the 6BXC had a memory problem when large memory copy instruction was executed.

Reply 62 of 71, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gerwin wrote:

I have seen that too. But that may be because of a lazy/uninformed former user. These boards have the 'voodoo jumpers' which need to be set for power hungry video cards, including Voodoo 3 and Geforce. If not then the VRM near the AGP slot will get very hot and the capacitors near it will suffer.

I was wondering -- is there are reason to not have these voodoo jumpers set? Once I have them set for Voodoo 3/Geforce can I just leave them like that at all times or will there be older AGP cards that will then suffer? I have to wonder this because there must have been a reason they made it jumpered..

Reply 63 of 71, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Another vogons member pointed out that the AGP specification at the time instructed motherboard designers to include a VRM specifically for the AGP slot. So the Voodoo jumpers actually bypasses this official specification. All I can think of is that the AGP specification assumes that the normal 3,3 Volt rail was to noisy or something, or that the AGP hardware would affect the 3,3 Volt rail.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 64 of 71, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kamerat wrote on 2017-01-31, 21:29:
gdjacobs wrote:

Does the SE440BX-2 work with a C3?

gerwin wrote:

Intel SR440BX so far does not cooperate. Maybe the BIOS does only allows intel vendor strings, just like it does not allow 133MHz FSB intel processors. I expect SE440BX-2 to behave the same.

Just had to try it, running the C3 "Nehemiah" on my SE440BX-2 right now. I'm using the P13 BIOS.

Sorry for the necro, but i recently tried a C3 Samuel 2 on my SE440BX-2 and posted as well, but BIOS sees it as a Pentium 3, i'm using BIOS P15

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 65 of 71, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Since this topic is linked to from this post in a different thread and serves as the de facto motherboard compatibility guide for C3 CPUs, I am necro'ing this for my own report.

I am reporting that the Ezra-T (C5N) does not work on the P3B-F at all, even with this special BIOS meant to add support for it.

I tested with and without a lin-lin adapter on an Abit Slotket III. The symptom is just that there is no post whatsoever, with all dashes on the diagnostic card.

Either than or my CPU is defective, which I doubt.

EDIT:CPU tested and confirmed to be working on different motherboard.
EDIT 2:FYI, Ezra-T does not require the lin-lin adapter, however, it does require a slotket with an independent voltage regulator. Eventhough my motherboard's voltage regulator supports the lower end of the voltage spectrum for Coppermine CPUs (down to 1.30v), and Coppermine CPUs work fine on ordinary slotkets, the Ezra-T will only work on my Abit Slotket III. The MS-6905 Slotket that others report success with also has a regulator on it.

mslrlv.png
(Decommissioned:)
7ivtic.png

Reply 66 of 71, by joeguy3121

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mockingbird wrote on 2023-06-13, 16:56:
Since this topic is linked to from this post in a different thread and serves as the de facto motherboard compatibility guide fo […]
Show full quote

Since this topic is linked to from this post in a different thread and serves as the de facto motherboard compatibility guide for C3 CPUs, I am necro'ing this for my own report.

I am reporting that the Ezra-T (C5N) does not work on the P3B-F at all, even with this special BIOS meant to add support for it.

I tested with and without a lin-lin adapter on an Abit Slotket III. The symptom is just that there is no post whatsoever, with all dashes on the diagnostic card.

Either than or my CPU is defective, which I doubt.

EDIT:CPU tested and confirmed to be working on different motherboard.
EDIT 2:FYI, Ezra-T does not require the lin-lin adapter, however, it does require a slotket with an independent voltage regulator. Eventhough my motherboard's voltage regulator supports the lower end of the voltage spectrum for Coppermine CPUs (down to 1.30v), and Coppermine CPUs work fine on ordinary slotkets, the Ezra-T will only work on my Abit Slotket III. The MS-6905 Slotket that others report success with also has a regulator on it.

I'm in the same situation were my Ezra-T on a MS-6905 Master dosen't work on my P3B-F v1.04 no matter what voltage I set the slotket to.
Modified BIOS developer DenizOezmen told me you have experience with both VIA C3s and P3B-Fs.
Have any soloutions without me forced into buying a different motherboard?.

Reply 67 of 71, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
joeguy3121 wrote on 2023-08-24, 23:35:

I'm in the same situation were my Ezra-T on a MS-6905 Master dosen't work on my P3B-F v1.04 no matter what voltage I set the slotket to.
Modified BIOS developer DenizOezmen told me you have experience with both VIA C3s and P3B-Fs.

No, sorry. You can try getting some exotic unobtanium slotket that you might come across, but you're better off just getting an inexpensive Slot 1 motherboard. The only thing I suggest it to get one that's compatible with RayeR's SMB utility, so that you can perform FSB changes from DOS on the fly concurrently with Setmul.

mslrlv.png
(Decommissioned:)
7ivtic.png

Reply 68 of 71, by joeguy3121

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mockingbird wrote on 2023-08-24, 23:52:
joeguy3121 wrote on 2023-08-24, 23:35:

No, sorry. You can try getting some exotic unobtanium slotket that you might come across, but you're better off just getting an inexpensive Slot 1 motherboard. The only thing I suggest it to get one that's compatible with RayeR's SMB utility, so that you can perform FSB changes from DOS on the fly concurrently with Setmul.

Will Nehemiah at 1.2 GHz work on P3B-F?.

Reply 70 of 71, by dj_pirtu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got two VIA C3 from ebay, Ezra and Nehemiah, both are 800MHz.

My Asus P3B-F didnt post at all with Nehemiah. Then I tried Abit VT6X4 but no post. I was using MS-6905 slotket with right settings. Ezra-core same thing, no post.

Then I put the Nehemiah to Abit BX133-RAID and yes, it works. But, mobo gives 2V voltage to it right after boot when CPU settings are reset so needed quickly to set it down to 1,35V in BIOS.

Clocks up to 1533MHz (11,5x133) with default voltage and down to 266MHz (4x66).

Tried Nehemiah on MSI 694T Pro too but it was very slow for some reason. Played with cache settings and stuff but no help. Ezra-core worked on this mobo like it should.

SMB and CPUSPD tools works with Abit BX133-RAID so I can freely set different speeds.

Reply 71 of 71, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was able to successfully install a Nehemiah 1.2A CPU on an ASUS P2-99 motherboard (Intel 440ZX chipset, Am I'm the only one here doing this combination? 🤣) and the performance was very good. By bumping the core voltage to 1.5v on the slotket adapter, mine was able to overclock up to 1.46 GHz. Didn't won the silicon lottery but that doesn't matter.

The PLL clock generator the motherboard has is the ICS9248DF-39, which is supported by SoftFSB and unofficially works with RayeR's SMB by using the parameters intended for the ICS9148-26. I have a cheat sheet that lets me use every FSB speed in DOS.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS