VOGONS

First post, by CarapauCorrida

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello All,

I have the following setup:

- Motherboard: Gigabyte ga-6vx7b-4x (Socket 370)
- CPU: Intel Pentium III 1GHz
- RAM: 3 x 512Mb SDRAM
- Graphics Card: Gainward nVidia FX5500 256Mb
- HDD: WD 40Gb

I have the latest BIOS with the AGP BUS at 4x, but when I go to Windows XP and go to the nVidia graphics card information it shows the card being used at AGP 2x.

Shouldn't it be at 4x instead?

Best Regards

Reply 1 of 3, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's a VIA chipset, so not necessarily. These chipsets have notoriously buggy AGP implementations.
Be sure to install the VIA drivers for them (the 4-in-1 package I believe, check which version is recommended, not necessarily the latest).
Even then it could be that the NV drivers default to 2x because of compatibility issues. I believe there is a way to manually force it to a faster speed, but I don't recall where/how.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 2 of 3, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Don't install the latest Nvidia drivers I think.

I know that every card under Windows 9x up to Geforce 4 card are supported up to the driver 45.23, but then it's crap. FX series are different, but it wouldn't surprise me if the latest drivers aren't bad as well for Geforce FX cards.

Otherwise, like Scali said, install the 4in1 Via drivers

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 3 of 3, by CarapauCorrida

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have installed the latest drivers from gigabyte website.

VIA 4in1 v4.43 (2001/10/25)

And for the graphics card if i'm not installing any drivers, Everest says my motherboard supports AGP 1x, 2x, 4x, and that the fx5500 is using AGP 4x.
With drivers 93.71 (oldest I could find on nVidia website) everest says I'm using 2x.
With drivers 175.19 (newest I could find on nVidia website) everest says I'm using 2x.

So I can tell it's a graphics driver issue and not motherboard.

I'll keep looking for older drivers.

edit:
Found this driver here philscomputerlab version 71.84 and still everest says I'm using 2x and not 4x.

All the cases where I only have 2x and not 4x, on Everest it says my motherboard only supports 1x, 2x...