VOGONS

First post, by cabezonnor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello guys!

Last week you helped me to build my first retro machine and i'm so happy with it (Athlon Xp 1600+, 256MB, 20 GB & GF2 Mx 400) but in the searching for a white keyboard & mouse i bought a working Compaq Deskpro EN PD1060 (PIII 733 mhz, 128 MB Ram, 10 GB) with the white keyboard and mouse 😊 and a 15" CRT Mitac all for $12. Now i'm installing Win98 SE and seems to be ok.

ExWOhOV.jpg?1

I opened the case and i see a lot of PCI slots and an AGP too with an unknown green bracket. And i wonder if i can install a good agp card in this slot? Something like a Geforce 3 which i found on a local flea market?

pWVIbuN.jpg?2

If you have any hints about this or manuals, or even the drivers that i could download it would be great!

Thanks a lot!

AMD Athlon XP 1600+ 1400mhz / MSI KT2 VIA VT8366A / 256 MB PC2100 DDR SDRAM / Nvidia Geforce 3 / Soundblaster Live! / SB Audigy front panel / SONY SDM-S71 17" LCD / Win 98 SE

Reply 1 of 4, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cabezonnor wrote:
I opened the case and i see a lot of PCI slots and an AGP too with an unknown green bracket. And i wonder if i can install a goo […]
Show full quote

I opened the case and i see a lot of PCI slots and an AGP too with an unknown green bracket. And i wonder if i can install a good agp card in this slot? Something like a Geforce 3 which i found on a local flea market?

-snip-

If you have any hints about this or manuals, or even the drivers that i could download it would be great!

Thanks a lot!

That "unknown green bracket" is what holds the AGP card in place, you may notice a hook-like thing right next to the connector on the PCB of an AGP graphics card, the green piece surrounding the slot is what secures that part, I've seen other systems (including a few Dells and a PowerMac G4) with that bracket so it's totally normal. Judging by the second picture on your post, it looks like you have an AIMM graphics performance accelerator module in your AGP slot, once you remove the AIMM module, you should be able to use any compatible AGP graphics card, information about AIMM modules can be found on the bottom of this webpage.

A Geforce 3 sounds like a good card to use on that system, but I wouldn't use the latest nVidia drivers (ver. 81.98) on there, instead, I'd grab one of the older driver versions from the VOGONS Vintage Driver Library website. It appears that nVidia Detonator drivers version 8.05 and up support the Geforce 3, so I'd suggest testing any driver starting from 8.05 all the way up to 45.23 to see which one works the best with the games you plan on playing on that system.

Reply 2 of 4, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The most relevant information is just off the bottom left-hand corner of your picture: how is the power supply rated? How much power can it provide on the 3.3V and 5V lines that the AGP slot gets most of its power from?

That said, this is a P3 system, there's no point in going for one of the final AGP cards like the Radeon 9700Pro that pushed power supplies to their limits.

That "green bracket" in the AGP slot is what Intel calls a "Graphics Performance Accelerator" or "GPA", in other words 4MB of SDRAM for the integrated graphics controller in the i815 GMCH (northbridge - that square black chip just to the right of the CPU and RAM. Without the GPA, the performance of the integrated graphics is - even by 2000 standards - abysmal. With the GPA the performance increases to very bad. But if you want to use your own AGP card, that's all pretty irrelevant. Choose a suitable card, pull the GPA out and insert the card.

The 815 chipset has a universal AGP 4x slot, so will accept any AGP card (the 8X cards will run at 4X and 1.5V, but as mentioned above, those late 8X AGP cards are utter overkill for a P3 system like this anyway, so running at 4X AGP spec won't matter in the slightest, the CPU will be bottlenecking anyway). As for which card - take your pick. Win98SE supports pretty much anything out there on AGP, so I'd suggest finding something period-correct. If you want to go nVida, that would be a late TNT2 or early GeForce, ATi would be a late Rage128 or early Radeon - or you could try something more exotic like an S3 Savage2000 or a Matrox G450. Or of course a Voodoo4 or 5 if you want to splurge idiotically. What would be best depende entirely on what you intend to do with it all. The G450 has by far the best RAMDAC and analog filters, so will give you the sharpest, crispest VGA picture at higher resolutions, and the GeForce and Radeon offer the best gaming performance.

As for drivers, you need chipset drivers for the i815, and probably also audio drivers (some or other AC'97 codec). Both HP (who took over Compaq) and Intel still have drivers for this kind of stuff online. I downloaded the Win98SE i815 drivers from the Intel site for a marginally newer Compaq motherboard last week. I'd recommend getting the chipset drivers there, and sound drivers wherever you can find them - which might end up being HP.

Reply 3 of 4, by cabezonnor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks a lot guys! I will look up for a TNT2 or a Geforce.

AMD Athlon XP 1600+ 1400mhz / MSI KT2 VIA VT8366A / 256 MB PC2100 DDR SDRAM / Nvidia Geforce 3 / Soundblaster Live! / SB Audigy front panel / SONY SDM-S71 17" LCD / Win 98 SE

Reply 4 of 4, by kinetix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

hi, friend. I have the same DeskPro (but with an active cooler and an 866mhz PIII), also with the AIMM module. but I also have a problem.
PCI graphics cards work but not AGP ones.
with some the PC issues a video problem error (recognizable by the beeps and blinking on the keyboard). Others don't give an error, but they don't show video either.
Did the cards you tried work for you?