VOGONS

First post, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does anyone know whether CF card adapters exist that fit (or come with) a low profile slot bracket?

If they don't exist, could I cut down the full size bracket that comes with a normal slot-mounted CF card adapter (e.g. this one)?

Reply 2 of 7, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does an adapter need to be described as "bootable" to actually be bootable? I don't see much difference between the prints of the ones that have "bootable" in the description and the ones that have not...

Reply 5 of 7, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Received the adapter, on first thought I don't think I will be able to fit it into a low-profile slot after cutting down the slot bracket. The print for the adapter itself seems too wide. However, it looks like there's no traces in the edges of the print, so maybe I can cut down the print itself. Edit: Confirmed not to fit. The CF adapter's print is simply too wide to fit between the motherboard and the top of the low profile case. So I'll try option #2:
And if that turns out not to be possible, I think it's probably possible to remove the bracket entirely and mount the adapter directly to the case...

On another note, a thin padded envelope is not suited for shipping three of these things halfway around the world (the brackets are bent). 😐

Reply 6 of 7, by Auzner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Dremel the PCB and try this? Or still too tall for low profile?

dremelpcb.jpg
Filename
dremelpcb.jpg
File size
89.86 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Otherwise, yes, a panel mount or something with the four PCB mounts.

panelmount.jpg
Filename
panelmount.jpg
File size
49.67 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 7 of 7, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That would have worked if there had been no components on the motherboard near the bracket slot I wanted to use. Unfortunately there are components, although there's no actual PCI slot present.