VOGONS

First post, by i2lgames

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all, I have a dual boot windows xp / 98se Pentium 4 3200 / 1gb ram SIS 661 system and installed a x800gto 256mb agp card in it. My old card was radeon 9600 pro and worked flawlessly. While everything works fine in Xp, in WIndows 98 i get a memory address sharing error. While the primary display card is recognized without conflict the secondary display conflicts with ACPI on 2 addresses and x800gt primary on one. I tried removing and adding memory, single and 2 modules of ram and tried increasing and reducing the agp aperture size with no luck. the drivers i use are the 6.2. Any ideas as for how to make it work?

Reply 1 of 5, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i2lgames:

Your query should probably be split off into its own topic so you can get a better chance of a response. I'll flag your comment so that a mod can make a topic for it.

Are you using both the 9600 and the X800 at the same time? I'm a bit confused. A secondary monitor shouldn't generate any conflicts by itself.

Reply 3 of 5, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Did you uninstall the old drivers when you removed the old card and install the drivers again when you installed the new card?
Windows 98 can be very messy when it comes to drivers and when you change hardware. Sometimes I have even been forced to install win98 again when changing hardware.

Reply 4 of 5, by i2lgames

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Baoran wrote:

Did you uninstall the old drivers when you removed the old card and install the drivers again when you installed the new card?
Windows 98 can be very messy when it comes to drivers and when you change hardware. Sometimes I have even been forced to install win98 again when changing hardware.

I used driver cleaner and then did a clean install.

Reply 5 of 5, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If I was you and I wouldn't want to mess with the dual boot system, I would most likely swap another hard drive and I would try a clean win98 install there just to rule things out.