VOGONS

First post, by tegrady

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, there is someone in my area selling an Apple IIe system and I am not sure how much to offer him.

He is selling the computer itself, the original monochrome monitor (the bezel is starting to separate from the tube, but he says it still works and has a picture to prove it). He is also including an Image Writer II (it is very yellow) and a single Disk II floppy drive. He has the original boxes for all of these. He does not have the floppy disks, but he has a picture of the computer running with "Apple II" on the screen.

What would a good price be for this setup? I checked eBay sold listings and the prices are all over the map. I assume that having the original boxes would add a bit to the value, but the issue with the monitor would detract some value.

I offered him $100, but he declined...

Thanks.

Reply 1 of 7, by Auzner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Besides the system and collecting, what about the barter itself? There could be dialog to find a price between you two. Are you sure you want to deal with someone who has broken items and is reluctant to communicate?

Reply 2 of 7, by tegrady

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

He is communicating. However, I want to make sure that my counter offer makes sense. I know almost nothing about Apple/Mac computers. What do you feel a fair price is for such a system? Thanks.

Last edited by tegrady on 2018-02-05, 20:41. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 7, by Vipersan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Dont know what these go for in the US ..but last year I purchased an Apple IIe enhanced with floppy controller and a single drive with 80 column card for £250 ..and I thought I got a good deal..
I asked more or less the same question on amibay ..and the general consensus was YES ..I got a deal ..as they usually sell for in excess of £300.
It was in clean ..tested..working condition ..and had a small sample of software including dos3.1 and adtpro
rgds
VS

Reply 5 of 7, by r.cade

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

$50-100 around here. What you offered is about right. Now, the boxes do add something, but only to the right "collector". To me, they are worthless.

My strategy for when they are priced too high is wait it out. He will find out there is little interest and will take your offer, or less.

Reply 6 of 7, by Vipersan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

what r.cade says makes sense ..since these were more prolific in the US.
Apple never really took off in the UK back in the day ..thus they are indeed more of a rarity over here.
we had our own niche stuff ..BBC micro ..Dragon..Speccy etc ..to name but a few.
Back then ..only Commodore really conquered computing internationally...and imo the C64 is easily a must for any collector of this 8 bit genre.
good luck with your purchase ..and enjoy the waiting game.
rgds
VS

Reply 7 of 7, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So you like Apple really..... I can see myself using Apple stuff is if i get them for free, not to mention, people are mad to charge so much for that damn rotten apple, nothing really special on them. Now IBM was something special the Godfather of the computers, keyboards, mices, laptops, HDD....

Mah systems retro, old, newer (Radical stuff)
W3680 4.5/ GA-x58 UD7/ R9 280x
K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM x2 P3 933/ GA-6VXD7/ Voodoo V 5.5K
Cmq P2 450/ GA-BX2000/ V2 SLI
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088