VOGONS

First post, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is there any reason why this memory module would not work in toshiba satellite pro 4600 or is it just broken?
When I install it I just get a long beep and message telling me to remove the module. If it is broken, I could return it.

20180206_125314.jpg
Filename
20180206_125314.jpg
File size
1.32 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 4, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Which CPU does your Satellite Pro 4600 have?

If it's a 100MHz FSB model, this DIMM should be fine. If it's a 133MHz FSB model, this DIMM is in any event not rated for the correct speed which may be the problem.

In any event it's a good Micron model, with 16Mx8 chips, which are the best supported in this size category. Also plain unbuffered 3.3V SDR-SDRAM, so that's fine too.

Reply 2 of 4, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think it is only 100 FSB, because pentium III 1Ghz was fastest that I could install in it. Originally it has 750Mhz celeron.
I have no idea why it complains it being incompatible ram. It had 128Mb and 256Mb modules before and I wanted to change the 128Mb module to that 256Mb to get 512Mb ram, but that 256Mb module in the picture doesn't work even if I put it in by itself.

Reply 3 of 4, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That sounds like a dead SO-DIMM.

Did you test it with this one by itself in the same SO-DIMM slot that the other 256MB SO-DIMM was in? If so I'd be pretty sure it's dead or there is some more subtle compatibility issue between specifically these chips and the combination of memory controller and the motherboard it's on. WIth later high-clocked DDR-SDRAM on high-performance chipsets (nForce2-Ultra...) this could be a major issue, but I never encountered it with plain PC100 SDR-SDRAM in combination with a boring old Intel memory controller.

Reply 4 of 4, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah. First thing I did was to just replace 128mb so-dimm with the one in the picture and it did the exactly same thing and then I tried it alone.
Also, after I posted this thread, I tried the memory module in thinkpad T21 and it works there, but doesn't work in toshiba satellite pro 4600.
Looks like another one of these weird cases where the laptop just doesn't seem to like specific ram module.