VOGONS

A couple of retros I'm working on.

Topic actions

Reply 260 of 452, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I thought this might interest you guys (Vipersan, IanB);
earlier in the thread you guys were talking about eprom burners, and I was looking for one on ebay, and I came across this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/EPROM-programmer-for … 3UAAOSw-uhadKqf

It's an 8 bit ISA eprom burner card, if I understand correctly?
Theoretically, Vipersan, you could put it in the ISA slot of your T5200, then if you don't already have appropriate software, you could try the burner software on my T5200... and burn your eproms right on your vintage PC!

Just seems so cool, to me 😀 😀

Actually, just re-read the ad... it appears to come with software, and they actually used it to make custom boot roms!
Sadly, it's local pickup only, and a thousand or more miles from me.

Reply 261 of 452, by Vipersan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Hamby wrote:
I thought this might interest you guys (Vipersan, IanB); earlier in the thread you guys were talking about eprom burners, and I […]
Show full quote

earlier in the thread you guys were talking about eprom burners, and I was looking for one on ebay, and I came across this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/EPROM-programmer-for … 3UAAOSw-uhadKqf

It's an 8 bit ISA eprom burner card, if I understand correctly?
Theoretically, Vipersan, you could put it in the ISA slot of your T5200, then if you don't already have appropriate software, you could try the burner software on my T5200... and burn your eproms right on your vintage PC!

Just seems so cool, to me 😀 😀

Actually, just re-read the ad... it appears to come with software, and they actually used it to make custom boot roms!
Sadly, it's local pickup only, and a thousand or more miles from me.

Looks Nice..
Looks useful ..but I should be covered once I have my old micromaster 1000 working ...and of course I have the TL866 wgich really is a useful usb connected tool.
It doesn't however cover all of the much older devices ..which is where the MM1000 will hopefully step in..
rgds
VS

Reply 262 of 452, by Vipersan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jaZz_KCS wrote:
Vipersan, the keyboard has arrived. And from what I can see it is in very good condition, and must have been under storage for a […]
Show full quote

Vipersan, the keyboard has arrived. And from what I can see it is in very good condition, and must have been under storage for a very long time.

Normally with these laptop keyboards from the early nineties, after several months of medium usage (or after several years of light usage) the matte finish of these keyboards starts to turn sheen and reflective rather quickly. This keyboard however has only light signs of wear, might not even be yellowed at all, and doesn't even have dust under the keys.

If I would have to guess then I would say this keyboard came out of a machine that was defective rather quickly after purchase.

Box also has part number printed on a label with dot matrix 😀

In either case I think this was a good buy, see for yourself:

https://imgur.com/a/GjxjI

Looking good JZ ..
that is one clean keyboard ..
even the accupoint is nice and 'green'
..and as you said ..probly one of the last out there in the wild.
So glad you spotted it ..and I can resurrect another T4900.
Let me know what I need to send you once its in the post.
rgds ..and thanx again.
VS

Reply 263 of 452, by IanB

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Hamby wrote:

you could put it in the ISA slot of your T5200, then if you don't already have appropriate software, you could try the burner software on my T5200... and burn your eproms right on your vintage PC!

I already have that kind of ISA card based programmer connected to one of my T5200s although I use a Micromaster LV48 connected to a more modern PC most of the time

programmer.jpg
Filename
programmer.jpg
File size
853.96 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 264 of 452, by IanB

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Vipersan wrote:

Ignore my PM Ian ..
I just ordered one stick from Germany ..
It may be a while ..but I'm in no hurry to start this mod ..

Got mine from Germany today, they work fine, even in the two 2MB slots. Obviously 6MB is wasted in those slots but if anyone wants to do the full 2+8+2 mod, not just the 8MB add on I documented so far and can't find 2MB sticks these would be OK.

samsung.jpg
Filename
samsung.jpg
File size
970.94 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 265 of 452, by Vipersan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So ..my recently aquired Tecra 510CDT is in need of a cmos battery replacement ..but I'm having problems getting inside..
I dont want to force and break any of the plastics so really need a service/repair/maintenance manual.
Call it what you will ..I've done a fair bit of searching but keep drawing blanks..
Does anyone have this ?
rgds
VS

Reply 266 of 452, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There is no maintenance / service manual for the Tecra 510 (not that I can find).
But they are built like the satellite series (I have some of them).

You want to carefully remove (plop out with a sharp item) the small but long bezel right south of the keyboard. Then you will be able to lift it out and you will probably find the resume- and BIOS batteries under the keyboard.

Both should be rechargeable NiMhs. But you dont have to replace the the resume battery, that one is only used for hibernation. They should be 3.6/7.2V NiMH cells in flat arrangement. I replaced the BIOS one only on my Satellite 460 with a barrel one (since I couldnt find a flat arranged one) but routed it somewhere else since it wouldnt fit.

Be careful with the connectors, as when there is corrosion on the rather thin pins connecting the connector to the planar, it can easily break off.. My resume connector slot broke off due to corrosion, but thankfully that battery isnt needed for normal operation.

Reply 267 of 452, by Vipersan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jaZz_KCS wrote:
There is no maintenance / service manual for the Tecra 510 (not that I can find). But they are built like the satellite series ( […]
Show full quote

There is no maintenance / service manual for the Tecra 510 (not that I can find).
But they are built like the satellite series (I have some of them).

You want to carefully remove (plop out with a sharp item) the small but long bezel right south of the keyboard. Then you will be able to lift it out and you will probably find the resume- and BIOS batteries under the keyboard.

Both should be rechargeable NiMhs. But you dont have to replace the the resume battery, that one is only used for hibernation. They should be 3.6/7.2V NiMH cells in flat arrangement. I replaced the BIOS one only on my Satellite 460 with a barrel one (since I couldnt find a flat arranged one) but routed it somewhere else since it wouldnt fit.

Be careful with the connectors, as when there is corrosion on the rather thin pins connecting the connector to the planar, it can easily break off.. My resume connector slot broke off due to corrosion, but thankfully that battery isnt needed for normal operation.

Thanx JZ ..btw did you recieve my PM ?

Reply 268 of 452, by Vipersan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

WoW ..you need to be either a kak handed butcher ..or know what you are doing to get in this beast ..
I think I found the batteries which are strung like bladder rack seawead ..I guess ..
and to do this ..first the screen fascia has to be removed which then allows the plastic under the screen near the hinges to be removed ..which then allows the KB to be lifted ...but no the batteries aren't under there ..they are under the front pastic which holds the mouse buttons ..
This can now be lifted .. exposing 4 screws to lift a metal plate partly covering the modem connector ...and there they are !!!
See pics
What sort of battery I can use ..I have yet to figure out..
rgds
VS

Attachments

• DSCF0047.JPG
    Filename
    DSCF0047.JPG
    File size
    311.32 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • DSCF0046.JPG
    Filename
    DSCF0046.JPG
    File size
    316.83 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 269 of 452, by Vipersan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The shorter string of 'love bead' batteries is comprised of 3 cells nimh 3.6v 30mah ..this one I assume to be the cmos ..
the longer string is 6 x cells ..also 30mah 7.2 v nimh ...(the resume battery)
rgds
VS

Reply 270 of 452, by Vipersan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

China to the rescue again ..
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Compaq-Armada- … hMAAOxy1klRcS8w
Same one used in compaq armada 6500

..but there is always at least one joker in the pack ...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOSHIBA-P7100700603 … MUAAOSwaSZZ9Ln8
Does he think they a a gold/titanium mix ???

Reply 271 of 452, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, there they are. I didnt buy a new battery with cable, I instead soldered the existing cable onto a 3.6 barrel battery since I couldnt find anything else at my shop and places it where the HDD normally is (where now a SD adapter is so there is much more space, so I extended the wires.) But you could also get a cheap new replacement I guess.

Got the PM.

Reply 272 of 452, by Vipersan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My XT-IDE kit arrived today from the US ..
I shall probably assemble it at weekend..
No instructions with it ..so I intend to take a few photos of the pcb first.
..simply because I shall be fitting IC bases which will cover up all the chip designation information.
rgds
VS

Attachments

• DSCF0048.JPG
    Filename
    DSCF0048.JPG
    File size
    312.17 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 273 of 452, by Vipersan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Totally worth buying a 15v psu brick for the T4500C
As suspected this Toshiba lappy was designed for Win3.1..and yes it is factory installed..and still operational.
The usual problems as expected ..
Non functional ultra slim floppy ..(most likely the belt has turned to mush)
Totally dead cmos and main batteries ..
But ..it works 😉
I do love these old retro Toshibas.
I certainly got my moneys worth with this impulse buy..even though it will cost more to restore them.
rgds
VS

Attachments

• DSCF0057.JPG
    Filename
    DSCF0057.JPG
    File size
    317.81 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 275 of 452, by Vipersan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jaZz_KCS wrote:

Well, you now know how to / and estimate whether its possible to replace ultra-slims 😀

And since I guess the keyboard is working, this shouldnt be too much of a hassle 😜

Yes indeed buddy ..
The case is a candidate for some serious cleaning and repair (where possible) ...which will be much easier once stripped down..
Gonna enjoy working on this old 'lump'
😁
note to self ..
I must invest in a key puller
🤣

Reply 276 of 452, by Vipersan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So ..there will be nothing easy about this one..
A real pita to get inside ..
I have however found the cmos battery ..which is a standard disc type..tho larger than conventional.
The hard drive is buried well deep ..but does appear to have standard 44 pin connections ..thus I'll try and image this.
The floppy is NOT an ultra slim ..but in fact the middle sized slim ..and bezzel-less ..
BUT the ribbon is not removeable (not plug in) so I opened up the floppy as well ..as much as I could ..and revealed it IS belt driven though this is a flat belt and doesn't look to be perished.
The turntable is stiff ..and may well respond to cleaning the bearings with iso ..then a light spray silicon lube..
Same goes for the motor ..assuming I can get enough access.
I do have a question though ?
in one of my photos there is an odd looking set of 5 gold contacts ..which can be exposed by opening a smalll door on the side of the laptop ?
Any Ideas what this is for ?

Attachments

• DSCF0063.JPG
    Filename
    DSCF0063.JPG
    File size
    304.3 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • DSCF0060.JPG
    Filename
    DSCF0060.JPG
    File size
    316.64 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • DSCF0059.JPG
    Filename
    DSCF0059.JPG
    File size
    308.54 KiB
    Views
    File license
Last edited by Vipersan on 2018-02-08, 19:41. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 277 of 452, by Vipersan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

and 3 more ...

Attachments

• DSCF0066.JPG
    Filename
    DSCF0066.JPG
    File size
    309.28 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • DSCF0065.JPG
    Filename
    DSCF0065.JPG
    File size
    316.06 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • DSCF0064.JPG
    Filename
    DSCF0064.JPG
    File size
    318.34 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 278 of 452, by Vipersan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The hard drive is Toshiba brand HDD2238B 125mb FAT ..so not readble with Win7 64bit computer ...though I successfully RAW imaged it with HDClone4

Cant see one on Ebay ..
This is the closest I found
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-5-Hard-Disk-Drive … UYAAOSwn51UZ4nJ
A rarity I guess ?

Reply 279 of 452, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok first the HDD: Although it has from what I can see a proprietary planar connector with flat cable, at the other end there should still be a generic 44-pin connector? (Can't see it in the images.) If so, there is no reason why you would have to hunt for an exact same drive, as you could use any 2.5" IDE of your choosing, and even if it's too big you can always use overlay software to use all storage. Almost all laptop manufacturers of that era use some kind of proprietary connectors for their IDEs, but almost always have a generic 44pin plug at the end though. So you could use a drive of fitting size of your choosing. Don't spend too much money on trying to get teh exact replacement (which wouldnt last long anyways, I guess?) Maybe this is a good candidate for CF/SD to IDE adapter? 😉

Second, the floppy: Although it is soldered to the floppy drive, the cable itself seems to be a generic 26-pin flat cable, that (most) 2/3rds drives used, and (almost all) 1/3rd drive use. If the drive turns out to be broken, and if you dont have a spare flat cable, you could cut of that one, use fine sandpaper to carefully open up the contacts on the neccessary side, and thereafter use it with an acquired substitute drive (either 2/3rds if you manage to get one, or use a 1/3rds superslim and use cardboard or an equivalent to get it "up to height"). I did that on a Compaq a while back. I couldnt find a 2/3rds drive. I used a superslim, cut of the cable, sandpapered open the contacts and used it with the superslim, it worked out well. I used cardboard to "heighten it up" nad make it fit. Ultimate solution only. But lets go that route only if the drive turns out to be non-fixable.

The 5-pin port on the left of the machine: This is where an optional "Trackball" would have been attached (like the ones IBM did on their first laptops). See manual here --> http://www.google.de/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s … RZJfu4Sb8oZ6g2j