VOGONS

Awe32 in dos : no FM sound

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 41, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It shouldnt be, but maybe since the OP is running win98 and trying to set it up in dos, he is having PnP issues.

I would go into bios, and set aside dma 1/5, irq 7, as legacy if OP's bios allows, so OP can manually assign those defaults and computer wont hand them out to other things.

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 21 of 41, by tyrell

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Note that the previous card was an als4000 and that it was perfectly working under dos ... No hassle and FM sound was working as well (of course, not a genuine opl3 like on the awe32).
Some more progress this evening if I have some spare time...

Reply 23 of 41, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

tyrell,
I just realized that I never saw the exact model of your AWE32 (CTxxxx) in this thread. Did I miss it, or did you really not specify it?

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 24 of 41, by tyrell

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello !
My model is ct3980.
I played a little bit in the bios options as well, a bit too much in fact, up to the point where I don't have any sound at all in dos!
My motherboard is pnp compatible, and I can set every interrupt to either Isa pnp or legacy isa. Same for the dma channels.
What should I specify there ? And there's a pnp option for the os. Should I set it to yes or no ?

Thanks for your help.

Stéphane

Reply 25 of 41, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It would help if you generally shared more information instead of keeping us guessing all the time.

1) What is the exact motherboard model?
2) Please post the contents of your Msdos.sys, Config.sys and Autoexec.bat files.

Generally, for a PnP card such as this, I would keep all IRQ at "PCI/ISA PnP". I think "PnP OS" does not matter much, and don't remember if I have it set to 'yes' or 'no' on my Win98SE system.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 26 of 41, by tyrell

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

The motherboard I'm using is an Aopen AX5T.
I've setup all irq and dma channels to PCI/ISA PnP (I had to reconfigure some cards in win98 afterwards)
Still no FM sound in dos ...
I tried executing the ctcm utility I have found in a sb16 archive, but it crashes and freezes the computer (restart required).

Config.sys

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
LASTDRIVE=E
FILES=80
BUFFERS=10
DOS=HIGH,UMB
rem DEVICEHIGH=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE RAM I=B000-B7FF I=C800-EFFF HIGHSCAN /MIN=0 /V
DEVICEHIGH=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE RAM I=B000-B7FF /MIN=0 /V

REM ****** CDROM DRIVER
DEVICEHIGH /L:2 =C:\DOS\oakcdrom.sys /D:mscd001

SHELL=C:\COMMAND.COM C:\ /p /e:2048
rem devicehigh /L:1 =mcam18xx.sys
rem devicehigh /L:1 =C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\EBD\aspicd.sys /d:ASPICD0
device=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\display.sys con=(ega,,1)
Country=033,850,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\country.sys

Autoexec.bat

SET CTSYN=C:\WINDOWS

REM ***** AWE32

SET SOUND=C:\AWE32\SBAWE32
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 E620 T6
SET MIDI=SYNTH:1 MAP:E MODE:0
C:\AWE32\SBAWE32\DIAGNOSE /S
C:\AWE32\SBAWE32\AWEUTIL /S
C:\AWE32\SBAWE32\SB16SET /P /Q

REM ***** CDROM
LH C:\windows\command\MSCDEX.EXE /D:mscd001 /l:e

lh C:\windows\command\bin\ctmouse.exe /R11
lh C:\windows\command\doskey.com
SET PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;C:\DOSMAXI;%PATH%;G:\BORLAND\CBUILDER\BIN
PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;G:\BC5\BIN;%PATH%;c:\NC

mode con codepage prepare=((850) C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\ega.cpi)
mode con codepage select=850
keyb fr,,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\keyboard.sys

Msdos.sys

[Paths]
WinDir=C:\WINDOWS
WinBootDir=C:\WINDOWS
HostWinBootDrv=C

[Options]
BootMulti=1
BootGUI=1
DoubleBuffer=1
AutoScan=1
WinVer=4.10.2222

Reply 27 of 41, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I see that you have BootGUI=1, which means Windows loads by default. And my understanding is that in Windows, your sound card works fully.

When you say it does not work in pure DOS - how to you get to it? By pressing F8 during startup and choosing 'Command prompt only' or by executing 'Restart in MS-DOS mode'? In the latter case, please check what's inside DOSSTART.BAT.

Your card works in Windows, so I assume there is no hardware fault. But it's very strange that CTCM crashes.

Let's try to take it step by step:

1. Remove all SB-related stuff from Autoexec.
  2. Boot to pure DOS (easiest way is to temporary set BootGUI=0 in Msdos.sys)
  3. Run DIAGNOSE and navigate the GUI to test the card
  4. Run CTCU, find the card under PnP cards, navigate and test its settings
  5. CTCU should update some settings and save them into CTPNP.CFG.
  6. Now run CTCM. What happens?

Reply 28 of 41, by tyrell

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello !

I've setup bootgui=0
When I want to run ctcu, I get an error :
Cannot be run under win95 or win32.1 dos box 🙁

I'm stuck, again ...

Could you point me to the right direction ?

Thanks

Stéphane

Reply 31 of 41, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
derSammler wrote:

Then you are not running plain DOS but a DOS box in Windows.

No, it's a bug in CTCM/CTCU. Read the write-up in the link.

Reply 32 of 41, by tyrell

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have updated the winbootdir to something else but I still get the same error message when running ctcu 🙁

Ok guys, I think it's becoming too complicated for me. I have ready spent a vast amount of time trying to get this card working in dos and still no results... I'm quite desperate to say the least.

Thanks anyway for your help.

Stéphane

Reply 34 of 41, by tyrell

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well the trick I used is modify the winbootdir inside msdos.sys. changing it is working. But putting an empty value does not work (still retains original value when in dos).
When in dos, if I try set winbootdir=, value is not updated. It's just ignored...

Reply 35 of 41, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Interesting. Maybe this method is not good (don't remember if I actually tried it).

Try using the modified utilities in the ZIP I just uploaded (they implement solution #2).

Attachments

• Filename
    CT_DOS7.zip
    File size
    246.5 KiB
    Downloads
    79 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 36 of 41, by tyrell

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dr_st wrote:

Interesting. Maybe this method is not good (don't remember if I actually tried it).

Try using the modified utilities in the ZIP I just uploaded (they implement solution #2).

Thanks for the utility !

I was able to use it.
Everything seems fine.

What I noticed:

- After running the utilities, still no fm sound in games
- If I run a full diagnose, and if I test the FM sound inside of it, then I get FM sound in games, but volume is very low.
- diagnose /s is not enough
- Mixerset and sb16set both return errors: sb16set returns a "low level driver error" error and mixerset returns "Incorrect AUXDRV.DRV driver version" error

If you are able to help me about the mixer error, i'm pretty sure i'll have fm sound afterwards... I think my problem is coming from a disabled / mutted fm output.

Stephane

Reply 37 of 41, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

After running the utilities, still no fm sound in games

In CTCU (?), did you try out different settings for FM ?
I recall that one of my PnP cards from Creative required "configuration no 2"
to be selected, in order to get FM sound working (configuration no.1 had no AdLib ports listed).

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 39 of 41, by tyrell

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BloodyCactus wrote:

did you run mixer setup in your autoexec?

I didn't run the mixerset in autoexec.bat
When running it in command line mode, it gives a driver error ...

==> - Mixerset and sb16set both return errors: sb16set returns a "low level driver error" error and mixerset returns "Incorrect AUXDRV.DRV driver version" error