VOGONS

First post, by MichaelWeaser

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am wanting to find a laptop that has direct3d support So I can run a few 3d games that run on windows 9x and than I want it to have graphics drivers for windows 3.1x as well so I can run that as well . I wanted to originally get some sort of desktop , and make it compatible with windows 9x and windows 3.1, but really I don't have enough room for another computer in my house. Is there also a possibly that no windows 9x laptop exists that has 3d acceleration with its gpu and also have drivers for windows 3.1? I do know of laptops that use the neomagic magicmedia not the magicgraph , that with windows 2000 it has a HAL kernel that supports 3d graphics and also does have drivers for windows 3.1x as well, I don't believe that it had 3d acceleration for windows 9x but only windows 2000.

Reply 1 of 6, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is there also a possibly that no windows 9x laptop exists that has 3d acceleration

The question is more what mobile version of 3D chipsets existed between 1996 and 2001 (Windows 3.1 end of support date) that have sufficient power/compatibility to run the games you want .

AFAIK, decent 3d graphics support on mobile platforms only really started when ATI (Rage Mobility) introduced their mobile parts . Early Nvidia mobile chips are Geforce 2 vintage and do not have Windows 3.1 support. If S3 had a mobility part that was based on Savage3D and if that had Windows 3.1 drivers, that might be an option too (anything earlier is not worth mentioning).

According to Wikipedia, the earlier Rage Mobility chips were Rage Pro based and I definitely remember being able use a Desktop Rage Pro variant under Windows 3.1 (had to force install Mach64 drivers, if I remember correctly, but it worked fine).

Reply 2 of 6, by MichaelWeaser

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote:
The question is more what mobile version of 3D chipsets existed between 1996 and 2001 (Windows 3.1 end of support date) that hav […]
Show full quote

Is there also a possibly that no windows 9x laptop exists that has 3d acceleration

The question is more what mobile version of 3D chipsets existed between 1996 and 2001 (Windows 3.1 end of support date) that have sufficient power/compatibility to run the games you want .

AFAIK, decent 3d graphics support on mobile platforms only really started when ATI (Rage Mobility) introduced their mobile parts . Early Nvidia mobile chips are Geforce 2 vintage and do not have Windows 3.1 support. If S3 had a mobility part that was based on Savage3D and if that had Windows 3.1 drivers, that might be an option too (anything earlier is not worth mentioning).

According to Wikipedia, the earlier Rage Mobility chips were Rage Pro based and I definitely remember being able use a Desktop Rage Pro variant under Windows 3.1 (had to force install Mach64 drivers, if I remember correctly, but it worked fine).

Yes I know about the ati mobility chips and I know they are based on rage pro and some even rage 128 pro , but there is an issue someone told me they tried the mach64 GT drivers and it doesn't work at all with the ati mobility chips. So the ati mobility chips might be out, unless someone else can say the mach64 GT drivers work with ati mobility. S3 does have mobile graphics called S3 Savage IX8/IX8+ and S3 SuperSavage IX/C, not sure what they are based off of.

Reply 4 of 6, by MichaelWeaser

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Rawit wrote:

There is the Savage4 LT. Savage4 has Windows 3.1 drivers, but they might be picky which exact chip is used.

I don't think that is the best 3d graphics accelerated chip, 50% slower than some other S3 graphics , and not alot of performance with 32 bit color graphics and also compatibility problems at well. The games that I want to run, I don't know if the game would have issues or not, when I was little I had a shitty emachines tower , windows 98, and seem to run the games correctly even at highest settings possible , don't know what graphics it had. also most of the games I run need directx 6 or 7.

Reply 5 of 6, by Rawit

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's not the best, but there is little choice if you want it to be Win31 compatible. Perhaps the new Savage chips can be used in Win31 by forcing the drivers. Looking at the filenames and contents of the Savage4 driver for Win31 it seems to me it's a tweaked S3 Trio driver.

Otherwise use the generic VESA driver for Win31. That gives you 1024x768 @ 256 colors max. I believe.

YouTube

Reply 6 of 6, by MichaelWeaser

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Rawit wrote:

It's not the best, but there is little choice if you want it to be Win31 compatible. Perhaps the new Savage chips can be used in Win31 by forcing the drivers. Looking at the filenames and contents of the Savage4 driver for Win31 it seems to me it's a tweaked S3 Trio driver.

Otherwise use the generic VESA driver for Win31. That gives you 1024x768 @ 256 colors max. I believe.

I am going to look into this for S3 , for the S3 Savage IX8/IX8+ and S3 SuperSavage IX/C, and also ATI on the Mobility chips, even though people say the original ati rage windows 3.1x drivers should work since the cards that those mobility cards are based off of, but people have had no luck. There has to be a way to get windows 3.1x support with these mobile based graphics.