VOGONS

Rarest CPUs?

Topic actions

Reply 101 of 442, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So then the first computers that have been made, they don`t worth nothing today eehh ?..
Computers from the 1940-1950-1960-1970 you all think all that computers from that timeline don`t cost nothing today really 🤣 as they are all priceless, and if someone sell one of these in working condition it will cost way too much....
I think all that say the parts will lost any value when the present generations die and after 100 years they will worth nothing are very wrong..
People did say also for the bitcoin and many, many, many other things that they was never going to be profitable, or worth something and they all was wrong...

voodoo5_6k wrote:

OK, with that I can agree 😀

Damn Voodoo 5 6000....

Mah systems retro, old, newer (Radical stuff)
W3680 4.5/ GA-x58 UD7/ R9 280x
K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM x2 P3 933/ GA-6VXD7/ Voodoo V 5.5K
Cmq P2 450/ GA-BX2000/ V2 SLI
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 102 of 442, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You are completely mixing things now. It was about the stuff you mentioned earlier:

but 3Dfx cards, high end processors, motherboards videocards and others to be in the trash really.............

Tell me which motherboard belongs in a museum, really... All that stuff is mass-market consumer electronics with no value, since millions of each were made. Even what you call "high-end processors". If anything from that list, only the original 3dfx Voodoo Graphics is of some historical importance, as it was the first real 3D accelerator and had a huge impact on the gaming industry. And it's still only worth 20 bucks these days and to my knowledge not displayed in any museum.

Reply 103 of 442, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Radical Vision wrote:
Stojke wrote:

Dude, these components have no real world value any more, their destiny was always the recycle bin, as it will for all other components. Sets are a completely different story on the other hand.

Total nonsense, good components in the trash why ?!?!? I understand not working, broken, or just bad brands like asrock, ECS, akorp and similar ones to be in the trash, but 3Dfx cards, high end processors, motherboards videocards and others to be in the trash really.............
How about they have no respect for the computer history they use computers that did came here bcuz of the history not like that, as the apes will melt all the hardware they can to get the gold, and in years what will left for a museums, for the next generation of people to see that hardware......

Bro, things need to be made and sold. Those companies, owners of the product, dictate so. Are you even thinking of such things such as job spaces open by recycling that old component, even if it is fully functional, Museums can always print a picture. Why, for example, rot an device in an museum and not re-spin the production process so new components can be made? Hyper production is what brought you that component so cheaply, it is how these companies work, if that was not the case you would have had a few or none of the components you have been hoarding. Thanks to the preceding that I wrote I am able to perform an internet search that yields multimedia information of almost anything I find interest into, of which maybe 10% is located in museums worldwide. Trash is trash. It was never about the components them selves but what we, the users, feel when using them. Our hobby is based around devices of whom the majority of has no real world value outside our circle and collectors.
Respect should be given to designers, creators, the work force that brought you the ability to even own those devices and not the devices them selves. Its a dead piece of plastic, what is to respect there? It did not make it self.

Radical Vision wrote:

Computers from the 1940-1950-1960-1970 you all think all that computers from that timeline don`t cost nothing today really as they are all priceless, and if someone sell one of these in working condition it will cost way too much....

If no one feels joy from owning it and profit cannot be made of it it is essentialy worthless. (This includes education as well, you can not profit from little interest in your courses with the said devices)))

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 104 of 442, by blurks

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
derSammler wrote:

Tell me which motherboard belongs in a museum, really... All that stuff is mass-market consumer electronics with no value, since millions of each were made. Even what you call "high-end processors". If anything from that list, only the original 3dfx Voodoo Graphics is of some historical importance, as it was the first real 3D accelerator and had a huge impact on the gaming industry. And it's still only worth 20 bucks these days and to my knowledge not displayed in any museum.

Not entirely true. You're simplifying things too much. It is not only about the historical significance but also about reputation, public perception and the cult following of certain products, that incorporates into the decision for exhibition. A V5 6k, although from a technological POV not the most impressive of all hardware items, is most certainly not only worshipped by GPU enthusiast nerds but also well known and acknowledged by IT professionals in general. This is one of those items that definitely qualifies as a prime example for a technical museum as it did nothing new but showcased the extreme approach on bruteforcing the performance on an already maxed-out platform, like the nazis did with their humongous railway guns and mortars, which had next to no effect on the outcome of their operations.

Reply 105 of 442, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
blurks wrote:

This is one of those items that definitely qualifies as a prime example for a technical museum as it did nothing new but showcased the extreme approach on bruteforcing the performance on an already maxed-out platform

That's just an assumption. It's common for people like us to overestimate the value of things we like to collect.

Give me an example of anything silimar to a Voodoo5 6000 that is indeed displayed in a museum (a real one, not your own one next door 😉 ).

Reply 106 of 442, by blurks

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
derSammler wrote:

It's common for people like us to overestimate the value of things we like to collect.

I have a very clear and objective view on the value of my stuff.

derSammler wrote:

Give me an example of anything silimar to a Voodoo5 6000 that is indeed displayed in a museum (a real one, not your own one next door 😉 ).

Is it really that important? I was talking about a wide range of aspects, that lead to a decision whether an item is worth of being on exhibit or not. Take stamps for example. They are on exhibit in every technical or communication museum around the world although they are everyday items that didn't revolutionize anything. There was a working postal system in central Europe before they even came up...

Reply 107 of 442, by thehinac

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry for the hijack, but I could use some help with my NexGen PCI PF110 build.

NexGen NX586 PF110 PCI Motherboard, Video card post issues

If anyone could help me with a video card problem.

Please don't hit me. 🙁 I can post with nvidia 5200 but no post with 6200. pci cards of course.

Reply 109 of 442, by xsecret

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A list of the rarest Nexgen in decreasing order (at least according to me) : 😊

- Nexgen F86 (a 8-Chip pre-Nx586 ES)
- Nexgen Nx586-P60/P66
- Nexgen Nx686
- Nexgen Nx586-P133
- Nexgen Nx587
- Nexgen Nx586-P120

... (all others Nx586 from PFs to classic)

- Nexgen Nx586-P90

But any Nexgen stuff is damn cool 😎

ATX2AT Smart Converter - Universal Chip Analyzer - CPU-Z Validator - Engineering Sample Zone

Reply 110 of 442, by Geforcefly

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't know if I could call these rare but I've never seen more than one in the wild:
Athlon FX-62
Rise MP6 266
Pentium 4 2.0GHz (Socket 423)

DOS/Win3.1: PCChips M396F v2.2 | 386SX-33 | 16MB RAM | 420MB HDD | CL-GD5429 1MB
Win98: ASRock 775i65G 3.0 | Pentium E5800 @ 3.3GHz | 512MB DDR (TCCD) | 80GB HDD | Radeon 9800 Pro

Reply 111 of 442, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Geforcefly wrote:
I don't know if I could call these rare but I've never seen more than one in the wild: Athlon FX-62 Rise MP6 266 Pentium 4 2.0GH […]
Show full quote

I don't know if I could call these rare but I've never seen more than one in the wild:
Athlon FX-62
Rise MP6 266

Rise MP6 266 turns up quite often on the CPU-World forums, usually selling for between $9 and $15. It's actually quite common.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 112 of 442, by xsecret

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yup. The mP6 266 is actually the ONLY common model in the Rise mP6 family. It's probably the only one they ever sold. All others are Engineering Samples.

ATX2AT Smart Converter - Universal Chip Analyzer - CPU-Z Validator - Engineering Sample Zone

Reply 113 of 442, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have pity for the RiSE engineers; it really sucks to see the downfall of something you've designed.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 114 of 442, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
feipoa wrote:

I have pity for the RiSE engineers; it really sucks to see the downfall of something you've designed.

Yep. The late 1990s and early 2000s were the graveyard of too many great ideas that failed due to insufficient marketing, insufficient captialization and simply not being able to keep up with AMD and Intel - it was time to market above all else that killed IDT's Winchip, Rise's mP6 and Transmeta's Crusoe; by the time they hit the streets, they were so far from competitive with high-end parts that they were relegated straight away to budget systems - which meant minimal income and no profit.

Upshot: gives collectors enough to play around with 😉

Reply 115 of 442, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh wow, I totally forgot about Transmeta. Didn't their CPUs rely on some kind of software decoding compared to the conventional CPU? I sorta remember something like that. I don't own any Transmeta chips. Not sure if they had a PGA package. There's something about a PGA which makes me want to collect the chip.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 116 of 442, by Nvm1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
debs3759 wrote:
Geforcefly wrote:
I don't know if I could call these rare but I've never seen more than one in the wild: Athlon FX-62 Rise MP6 266 Pentium 4 2.0GH […]
Show full quote

Athlon FX-62
Rise MP6 266

Rise MP6 266 turns up quite often on the CPU-World forums, usually selling for between $9 and $15. It's actually quite common.

I have one off those socket 423 P4 2.0 GHz cpu. They where sold in a batch roughly a year ago. All SL5SZ spec.

Reply 117 of 442, by Katmai500

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Nvm1 wrote:
debs3759 wrote:
Geforcefly wrote:
Show full quote

Athlon FX-62
Rise MP6 266

I have one off those socket 423 P4 2.0 GHz cpu. They where sold in a batch roughly a year ago. All SL5SZ spec.

I think the 1.9 GHz Socket 423 P4 has about the same rarity. They appear a bit less frequently than the 2.0, but at slightly lower prices because they are less desirable.

Reply 119 of 442, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
feipoa wrote:

Oh wow, I totally forgot about Transmeta. Didn't their CPUs rely on some kind of software decoding compared to the conventional CPU? I sorta remember something like that. I don't own any Transmeta chips. Not sure if they had a PGA package. There's something about a PGA which makes me want to collect the chip.

Never heard about any PGA versions. My Crusoe is a BGA in any event, soldered to its (thin client) motherboard.