VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by piercrg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Can anybody help me with key mapping on my Mac. I can mount the drive and navigate to my program manually but can't figure out how to get there automatically with one click. Help please?!

Reply 2 of 12, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Moved to Milliways until we figure out what this guy is trying to do with which program (my guess is DOSBox). 😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 3 of 12, by Dystopia

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
piercrg wrote:

Can anybody help me with key mapping on my Mac. I can mount the drive and navigate to my program manually but can't figure out how to get there automatically with one click. Help please?!

If this is OS 9 or older (down to System 7.5, or a bit older if you have a Performa) and you're wanting to be able to launch applications with a single mouse click instead of drilling down through folders for it, you can do that. Find your application in the Finder, select it, choose "make alias" from the file menu, open your System Folder, and drop the alias in the "Launcher Items" folder. Then you can go to the Apple menu, and then to "Control Panels", and open the control panel called "Launcher", and you'll have a window that will have icons for everything in the Launcher Items folder. If you click the icons once they'll open. You can put an alias of the Launcher in your "Startup Items" folder (in the System Folder), to have the Launcher open at boot time.

Personally I wouldn't bother. Just put an alias on the Desktop. Yeah, you'll have to double click, but is that really so hard? If that is too much clutter and you're using OS 9, create a folder, stick your aliases in there, and the drag the title bar down to the bottom of the screen. It'll turn into a pop up folder that will jump up when you click it and shrink back down when you click outside it. As long as you never close it it'll stay open until the end of time or until you remove the disk on which it resides.

If you're using OS X, just stick it in the Dock, and use Stacks instead of pop up folders.

If this was a DOSBox question, disregard all of what I said.

Reply 4 of 12, by piercrg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes this was for DosBox. I totally asked the wrong question. Here's the scoop. I'm moving from a Windows based machine to a new iMac. On my windows machine the guy who set it up originally installed DosBox and wrote a few lines in the config file to allow DosBox to open the program by double clicking on the DosBox icon on my desktop. Bingo, everything loads right up and shuts down when I close the program. I've loaded DosBox for Mac and the Dos program on my new machine. When I go through the whole mount c ~DosBox c: cd\xxx routine the program loads right up. So everything is there except the command lines in the config file. I've looked all over for that file. Hidden files in Finder etc. Where is it? Thanks for your help.

Reply 6 of 12, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I think the readme tells you the exact location but it is in /users/yourusername/library/preferences and is called "Dosbox 0.74 Preferences". Open that file with textedit and add the mountings and command to launch your program in the [autoexec] section.
https://www.dosbox.com/DOSBoxManual.html#ConfigFile

(Topic moved)

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 7 of 12, by piercrg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Found it! It was in a hidden file that I did not have permissions to find or open. Gave myself the required permissions and now it works. Thanks for guiding me through it. One last question, in the auto exec.bat commands how do I exit the dosbox when I'm finished with the program? I but "exit" in the command and it closed the program immediately after opening it. Thanks!

Reply 8 of 12, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

no idea since I never use that, best just don't do it and close Dosbox manually.

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 9 of 12, by piercrg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK next question. I just bought an extended Apple keyboard. Everything seems to work OK except the numeric keys on the right side don't work in DosBox. They work fine on normal programs, excel, word etc. If it was a windows keyboard I'd look for the NumLock key but there is no such key on this keyboard. Any ideas.

Reply 10 of 12, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Hmm, the key that is where the numlock is normally doesn't switch?

Reply 11 of 12, by piercrg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Turns out that the "Clear" key is the numeral lock button. Who'd have guessed. Every time I run DosBox I have to hit the Clear key to enable the number keys. Can anybody tell me how to put that in the auto exec.bat file to set it automatically?

Reply 12 of 12, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

You can't. You could do it with an AppleScript...