VOGONS

First post, by quicknick

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello everyone and Happy New Year!
Well, the title says it all. In trying to get this board to POST i got myself a TL866CS programmer that arrived today. I had already searched the net and found two (different!) bios images for this board, and upon reading my EPROM chip with the TL866 turns out that i have yet another code inside, different from the other two that i downloaded. I burned and tried each of them on a 128K*8 flash, still no POST (no beeps, boot diagnostics card shows only dashes).
So, i know my chances are slim, but if someone has this board (ver. 1.3) working and is willing to do a BIOS dump for me, i'll send a sixpack his way 😀
Thanks.

Reply 1 of 4, by Bellator

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have this board working (the same version). I bought it brand new many years ago. Mine came with BIOS version 2.1 and I programmed the EPROM with version 2.3 when I was at the university, 15-20 years ago (I do not have a programmer). I have kept the rom files for all this time. I still have the original manual.

The first time I programmed the EPROM, when I read it to check that it had been written well, the result was not identical to the rom I was trying to write. This happened because I left the EPROM under the ultraviolet light not enough time to completely erase. I put it to erase for a longer time, and then everything went well.

Maybe not the BIOS fault. Some not well placed jumper may do the board not to post. I have experienced this sometimes.

Reply 2 of 4, by quicknick

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That is great, turns out i'm not the only one keeping really old firmwares on my disks 😁
Can you please share the goodies? Although by now i'm pretty certain it's not the BIOS fault, also i doubt jumpers can be blamed - i've tried all the combinations from the pdf manual that can be found on the net and at least 4 cpus (AMD 5x86-133 and DX4-100, Intel DX4-100 and DX-33), so unless that manual is completely (purposely?) wrong it seems the board is quite dead.

Reply 3 of 4, by Bellator

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cxx1mmk3wzbuu8e/EXP844921.zip?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/epvj4ohj4ec3umt/EXP844923.zip?dl=0

I got the version 2.3 from the official website. I extracted the version 2.1 from my motherboard's BIOS.

Reply 4 of 4, by quicknick

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Downloaded, thanks a lot! One of the files that I had is identical to v2.3 from you, that means i already tested the board with a good bios. Waiting for some M27C1001 eproms to arrive from China, maybe the board doesn't like flash roms (nah, kidding myself, deep inside i know the board is toast 😁 )